On Cell Phone Forums - help with your mobile device
comment ask a new question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. by
    funkmasterta
    on
    hahaha! it actually works!


    See More: make a homemade antenna booster that will give you FULL BARS!!
    Last edited by tavenger5; 07-29-2009 at 11:12 AM.



  2. #2
    disaster999
    disaster999 is offline
    Newbie

    Posts
    5

    even though it works....i much rather leave my phone as is...instead of having a piece of foil sticking out of the phone!



  3. #3
    funkmasterta
    funkmasterta is offline
    Junior Member

    Posts
    26

    well, i heard if you use a coat hanger it works even better!



    that thread was just a joke



  4. #4
    mr_bongos_drums
    mr_bongos_drums is offline
    Newbie

    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2

    mad, but its not like im going 2 hav a bit of metal hanging outta my fone, i mean DUDE



  5. #5
    azvato
    azvato is offline
    Member
    azvato's Avatar

    Location
    TucSon, Az
    Posts
    40

    all I gotz 2 say iz GGHHEETTTTOO!! And I thought i was the only 1 in da hood who did this.......
    BlAZin' 1 Up!!!!

    Reppin' Da 520!!



  6. #6
    pucca
    pucca is offline
    Junior Member

    Posts
    9

    tsktsk ... and the real boosters r only about $7 too .... ghettooooooooooooooooooo



  7. #7
    goodguy
    goodguy is offline
    Junior Member

    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    14

    that is freakin' hilarious.
    i didn't read the article and i started to crack up already.
    LOLhahah



  8. #8
    shadow
    shadow is offline
    Member

    Posts
    56

    im goin to try that.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    yea rite.



  9. #9
    muwap
    muwap is offline
    Member

    Posts
    81

    Actually, that can work, if...

    You make a dipol antenna at 1/2 or 1/4 wavelength out of foil -- better would be copper tho. Of course you'd have to know which GSM frequency your phone is using at the time, and need different size antennae for each frequency.

    You could also build a wide-range helical antenna (which I believe is actually built into the phone), out of a q-tip and a single strand of stranded wire.

    For the ultimate in range, you could probably put together a yagi-style directional antenna which would allow you to reach a tower 10-15 miles away in direct line of sight, and all for a half an afternoon of work and $15 in hardware. I've put together a "cantenna" (search the web) for my wireless network and have a fast connection to a neighbor's a 3 miles away. I also built a "pentenna" (own design) which is pretty much a 1/4 wavelength microwave dipole inside a BIC pen housing. Boosted signal strength from attic to basement from 10% to 95%.

    I think antenna boosters are worthless. I haven't tested them, but they look like a passive RF repeater with a panel-antenna. Of course they boost the received signal by providing a larger resonance element, but at the same time they would weaken the outgoing RF signal because the transmitter now has to excite a larger chunk of metal. Aside from that, a passive repeater loses about 50% of the transmitted RF power by design. And I haven't even said anything about directionality yet...

    Phone manufacturers have some pretty smart RF engineers on staff. You can rest assured that for 99% of your use, the built-in antenna is optimal, and for the remaining 1% a $7 "signal booster" won't help you either.
    Last edited by muwap; 02-22-2004 at 01:17 AM.



  10. #10
    antennaman
    antennaman is offline
    Newbie

    Location
    Texas... where else
    Posts
    1

    re: make a homemade antenna booster that will give you FULL BARS!!

    Passive antennas work but require experimentation.

    Even cellphones with no external antenna connection can be
    "connected" by placing the proper antenna near the phone itself.

    See attachment for WORKING example.

    Of course if you have ZERO bars on your phone inside a building
    even if you could double your signal strength it might not be enough
    and some time of amplifier may be required.
    Experimentation, along with a little coax and time will pay off.

    Remember that some cellphones can take up to 10 seconds to
    update their signal strength meters so make changes S L O W L Y.

    Enjoy,
    Attached Images Attached Images  



  • Similar Threads







  • Quick Reply Quick Reply

    If you are already a member, please login above.

    Tags for this Thread