reply to discussion
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 241 to 250 of 250
  1. #241
    Mark Crispin
    Guest

    Re: iPhone line begins 7 days before launch!

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Oxford posted:
    > yes, just use something like apptapp to install them.
    > http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...ird-party-apps


    That program requires jailbreaking.

    Oxford still can't get his story straight. First he says that there is no
    need to jailbreak, then he says that all problems are solved by use of
    such-and-such application that requires jailbreaking.

    Apple's license forbids programs such as Apptapp. So it will never be in
    the iTunes Store.

    -- Mark --

    http://panda.com/mrc
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.



    See More: iPhone line begins 7 days before launch!




  2. #242
    George
    Guest

    Re: iPhone line begins 7 days before launch!

    Oxford wrote:
    > George <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> Alas, free Wi-Fi is shrinking too. They just shut down the Metro-Fi
    >>> system in my area last week. Metro-Fi could be a case study in bad
    >>> marketing and unrealistic expectations.
    >>>
    >>> If you know where to go, you can still find free Wi-Fi networks at many
    >>> restaurants and public areas, but the dream of ubiquitous free Wi-Fi is
    >>> dead for now.

    >> But wait, didn't "oxford" claim it was a simple matter to convert
    >> existing analog TV *transmitters* to WiMAX?

    >
    > we'll see george, the wimax rollout is just getting started... the cards
    > are now ready for the MacBook / MacBook Pros
    >
    > http://blogs.computerworld.com/wimax...d_macbook_pros
    >
    > my area is getting free public wimax, so everyone is gearing up...


    But you are totally wrong. You explicitly said "WiFi is everywhere".
    That means now. Not next week, next year, "is getting", the "easy TV to
    WiMAX conversion" you don't understand or any other permutation.



  3. #243
    Steve Sobol
    Guest

    Re: iPhone line begins 7 days before launch!

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.cellular.t-mobile.]
    On 2008-07-15, Larry <[email protected]> wrote:

    > So, why the religious guilt trip?


    No guilt trip. The numbers are simply misleading.



    --
    Steve Sobol, Victorville, CA PGP:0xE3AE35ED www.SteveSobol.com
    Geek-for-hire. Details: http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevesobol




  4. #244
    SMS
    Guest

    Re: iPhone line begins 7 days before launch!

    Dutch wrote:

    <snip>

    > I'm not familiar with Metro-Fi. Was it an ad based service?


    Yes, but they offered an ad-free version for a fee. It was very easy to
    eliminate the ads. Their initial version had an ad banner, but if you
    used VPN the ad banner disappeared. The second version used Microsoft
    SideGuide, a horrible piece of malware, but fortunately by making
    Metro-Fi think your system was a Linux or OS-X system (no version of
    SideGuide), you got rid of the ads (using User Agent Switcher on Mozilla).

    When they started out, they claimed that you had to have one of their
    wireless cards, but in reality you didn't. However this turned off a lot
    of potential users. It was also very slow, well under 1 Mb/s.

    "http://www.metrofi.com/" but it's gone from the Bay Area, not sure
    about the other cities listed.

    > Other than at campgrounds that offer it for free, I rarely use WiFi
    > except from my own secured routers, but I have heard some rumblings
    > among the RV set about there being fewer locations available to us. I
    > don't know if that's because of locations shutting down, or because
    > they're going to paid subscription models though.


    There seem to be plenty of restaurants and lower end hotels that still
    have it, though the legality of using it if you're not a customer is in
    question. Also most libraries seem to have it around here.



  5. #245
    Dutch
    Guest

    Re: iPhone line begins 7 days before launch!

    SMS wrote:

    > Dutch wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> I'm not familiar with Metro-Fi. Was it an ad based service?

    >
    > Yes, but they offered an ad-free version for a fee. It was very easy to
    > eliminate the ads. Their initial version had an ad banner, but if you
    > used VPN the ad banner disappeared. The second version used Microsoft
    > SideGuide, a horrible piece of malware, but fortunately by making
    > Metro-Fi think your system was a Linux or OS-X system (no version of
    > SideGuide), you got rid of the ads (using User Agent Switcher on Mozilla).
    >
    > When they started out, they claimed that you had to have one of their
    > wireless cards, but in reality you didn't. However this turned off a lot
    > of potential users. It was also very slow, well under 1 Mb/s.
    >
    > "http://www.metrofi.com/" but it's gone from the Bay Area, not sure
    > about the other cities listed.


    Ahh, ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. They don't seem to have
    made it to Upstate NY yet, according to their list.

    >> Other than at campgrounds that offer it for free, I rarely use WiFi
    >> except from my own secured routers, but I have heard some rumblings
    >> among the RV set about there being fewer locations available to us. I
    >> don't know if that's because of locations shutting down, or because
    >> they're going to paid subscription models though.

    >
    > There seem to be plenty of restaurants and lower end hotels that still
    > have it, though the legality of using it if you're not a customer is in
    > question. Also most libraries seem to have it around here.


    Yep, they're out there if you go looking, but they're certainly not as
    "everywhere" as cell phone data coverage... :-)

    --
    Dutch
    Sprint/Motorola RAZR V3m
    tethered to PCLinuxOS 2008



  6. #246
    The Bob
    Guest

    Re: iPhone line begins 7 days before launch!

    Mark Crispin <[email protected]> amazed us all with the following in
    news:[email protected]om:

    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Oxford posted:
    >> yes, just use something like apptapp to install them.
    >> http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...tapp-installer
    >> -equals-easy-third-party-apps

    >
    > That program requires jailbreaking.
    >
    > Oxford still can't get his story straight. First he says that there
    > is no need to jailbreak, then he says that all problems are solved by
    > use of such-and-such application that requires jailbreaking.
    >
    > Apple's license forbids programs such as Apptapp. So it will never be
    > in the iTunes Store.
    >
    > -- Mark --
    >
    > http://panda.com/mrc
    > Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
    > Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.
    >


    Yep- that was my point. He's gonna get whiplash from all of the sudden
    backtracking.



  7. #247
    Oxford
    Guest

    Re: iPhone line begins 7 days before launch!

    Todd Allcock <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hmmm. A "poser." Of the four cities hosting Apple stores in Minnesota,
    > Roseville has the smallest population, but certainly isn't "affulent" even
    > by paltry midwestern standards. Edina has a much larger median income, but
    > has 10,000 more people, so one of Oxy's two factoids are incorrect. (Go
    > figure...)


    nope, not even close, wrong state.



  8. #248
    Oxford
    Guest

    Re: iPhone line begins 7 days before launch!

    "Ness-Net" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> No, it's not - it's you dodging a direct question - again.

    > >
    > > i gave you the facts, but if you aren't smart enough to decipher them,
    > > it's not my problem.

    >
    > No, you dodged the question - and continue to be as obtuse as possible.


    nope, i'm simply determining how smart you are, and you are failing my
    test.

    > And, I was born and raised very close to where you think I'm not "smart
    > enough
    > to decipher"
    >
    > And I call bull **** - based on the (actual) facts and personal knowledge.
    >
    > The median income for a household in the city was $51,056, and the median
    > income for a family was $65,861. FAR from "most affluent". And, it isn't
    > really a
    > "University Town" either...


    do you need a cheat sheet?

    i guess so...

    http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/



  9. #249
    Oxford
    Guest

    Re: iPhone line begins 7 days before launch!

    "BruceR" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > i said: "in more advanced areas"
    > >
    > > learn to read.

    >
    > OK, I can read. Please name the "advanced area" you live in and some
    > other places you put in that category.


    just look for high population densities of macs, then you'll quickly see
    what i'm talking about... and see the future of communications.

    apple users always point the forward direction for society, so it's easy
    once you know that fact.



  10. #250
    BruceR
    Guest

    Re: iPhone line begins 7 days before launch!


    "Oxford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "BruceR" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> > i said: "in more advanced areas"
    >> >
    >> > learn to read.

    >>
    >> OK, I can read. Please name the "advanced area" you live in and some
    >> other places you put in that category.

    >
    > just look for high population densities of macs, then you'll quickly
    > see
    > what i'm talking about... and see the future of communications.
    >
    > apple users always point the forward direction for society, so it's
    > easy
    > once you know that fact.


    So, in other words, as always, you refuse to provide a simple
    straightforward answer to even the simplest question: what city do live
    in? It's a question that couldn't possibly jeopardize your security if
    it's as big a community as you claim it to be. If you won't engage in a
    straightforward conversation stop wasting everyone's time and go hang
    out on an Apple fanboi page where you'll be welcomed.





  • Similar Threads







  • Quick Reply Quick Reply

    If you are already a member, please login above.