Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Richie
    Guest

    Re: World phones

    You're correct. What rolls over this January will expire next January. The
    best way to take advantage of all your rollover minutes is to spread your
    phone usage over 12 months. Without rollover, you have to plan your usage
    over 1 month. I like Cingular's rollover minutes or Sprint's auto adjust
    feature because I think they are more fair to the user.


    "Jerome Zelinske" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Doesn't your amount of rollover minutes available change every month,
    > sometimes up and sometimes down, because they only last 12 months?
    > Therefore a change to a smaller plan might start out with a lot of
    > rollover minutes, but they would decrease by about one twelfth every
    > month?






    See More: World phones




  2. #17

    Re: World phones

    Do you mean this internet option?

    MEdia Net - 500 KB/month $4.99

    Or something else? This one apparently doesn't cost minutes. Just
    charges by the amount of data received. Presumably it doesn't use the
    "Edge" network or whatever Cingular's fast network is called?

    Wiggling




  3. #18
    Richie
    Guest

    Re: World phones

    Wireless Internet is $3.99 per month. That uses your minutes.
    This does not use EDGE but CSD -- really slow at 9600k
    This is the only option if you want to use your minutes for Internet.

    Other internet packages don't use minutes but service is much faster.


    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]a.googlegroups.com...
    > Do you mean this internet option?
    >
    > MEdia Net - 500 KB/month $4.99
    >
    > Or something else? This one apparently doesn't cost minutes. Just
    > charges by the amount of data received. Presumably it doesn't use the
    > "Edge" network or whatever Cingular's fast network is called?
    >
    > Wiggling
    >






  4. #19
    Tropical Haven
    Guest

    Re: World phones



    Jerome Zelinske wrote:
    > Doesn't your amount of rollover minutes available change every
    > month, sometimes up and sometimes down, because they only last 12
    > months? Therefore a change to a smaller plan might start out with a lot
    > of rollover minutes, but they would decrease by about one twelfth every
    > month?


    Yes, that's correct. Rollover minutes from January expire in the next
    January, February in February, and so on. Rollover minutes work in a
    first-in-first-out basis.

    TH




  5. #20
    Tropical Haven
    Guest

    Re: World phones

    > The arithmetic that leads me to verizon goes as follows:
    >
    > Verizon: $60, 2 lines America's Choice, unlimited N&W, 500 mins. I also
    > get a tiny 6% discount with my company.
    >
    > Plus the ability to use the phone as a modem for my laptop using voice
    > minutes (I'm assuming this will continue to work).
    >
    > Disadvantages: crappy phones (no decent bluetooth) . Need a separate
    > phone for international travel or a dual GSM/CDMA phone.
    >
    > Cingular: $60, 2 lines, 5000 N&W, 450 mins. I get an essentially
    > irrelevant 5% of the first line ($40).
    >
    > Plus rollover, and a better collection of phones. If I buy an unlocked
    > GSM phone then no need for a separate international travel phone.
    >
    > Disadvantages: no net access. Slightly more expensive for a plan that
    > offers less. Worse coverage in Chicago.
    >
    > Which would you choose?
    >
    > Wiggling


    If there's possibility that I could bank my rollover minutes, Cingular
    would definitely be the best option. Cingular must suck in your part of
    Chicago, I had Verizon Wireless there and could hardly keep a call past
    5 minutes.

    TH




  6. #21

    Re: World phones

    Verizon's service in Chicago is actually very good. However, I'm now
    toying with the idea of Cingular. Looking at the phone collection, I'm
    intrigued by the Nokia 6230 which appears to do all I want it do with
    the exception of having GSM 900 (triband not quad band).

    Is GSM 900 critical in Europe/Asia? Do I really need a quad band phone
    like the Motorola V551 or the RAZR? Which phone would you recommend for
    occasional world roaming, bluetooth, a camera, Edge is not really a
    requirement but would be nice. Thanks for any help.

    Wiggling




  7. #22
    Tropical Haven
    Guest

    Re: World phones



    [email protected] wrote:
    > Verizon's service in Chicago is actually very good. However, I'm now
    > toying with the idea of Cingular. Looking at the phone collection, I'm
    > intrigued by the Nokia 6230 which appears to do all I want it do with
    > the exception of having GSM 900 (triband not quad band).
    >
    > Is GSM 900 critical in Europe/Asia? Do I really need a quad band phone
    > like the Motorola V551 or the RAZR? Which phone would you recommend for
    > occasional world roaming, bluetooth, a camera, Edge is not really a
    > requirement but would be nice. Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Wiggling


    If it's only the occasional trip, either 900 or 1800 should suffice.
    Not as good as both, but much better than neither.

    TH




  8. #23
    Stuart Friedman
    Guest

    Re: World phones

    Two phones can be a hassle, but you can mnimize the hassle somewhat by
    buying two phones that are based on the same basic model lines. That way
    you can share chargers, data cables, software, etc.

    For international usage, check out the Riing prepaid roaming sim for
    Western Europe. Free incoming calls in many countries. US$0.35 a minute
    outbound to the US and most of Western Europe.


    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I had planned to use a prepaid SIM which is why I wanted an unlocked
    > phone rather than a Verizon proprietary one.
    >
    > Still not a 100% decided on this solution. Life would be easier if
    > Verizon actually had a decent phone collection.
    >
    > Wiggling
    >






  9. #24

    Re: World phones

    Do you know of any good prepaid SIM's for Canada? Thanks.

    Wiggling




  10. #25
    Tropical Haven
    Guest

    Re: World phones



    Joseph wrote:
    > On 11 Apr 2005 00:22:12 -0700, "[email protected]"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Do you know of any good prepaid SIM's for Canada? Thanks.

    >
    >
    > Both Rogers and Fido have prepaid. Cost of the initial card is $25
    > plus whatever amount of refill voucher to use.
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >


    I'm not sure what SIMs/rates are still available, but Fido is now a
    brand of Rogers. All GSM service in Canada will come from Rogers
    (unless there is a SMALL GSM carrier in a certain area).

    TH




  11. #26
    Tropical Haven
    Guest

    Re: World phones

    >>Joseph wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 11 Apr 2005 00:22:12 -0700, "[email protected]"
    >>><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Do you know of any good prepaid SIM's for Canada? Thanks.
    >>>
    >>>Both Rogers and Fido have prepaid. Cost of the initial card is $25
    >>>plus whatever amount of refill voucher to use.
    >>>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    >>
    >>I'm not sure what SIMs/rates are still available, but Fido is now a
    >>brand of Rogers. All GSM service in Canada will come from Rogers
    >>(unless there is a SMALL GSM carrier in a certain area).

    >
    > Fido's parent is now Rogers. There are two separate services still.
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


    Okay...I wasn't fully sure how it was being handled. I have heard that
    Rogers wants to keep "Rogers" as the premium brand and "Fido" as the
    economical brand. It'll be a couple of months before I can return again
    to Canada.

    TH




  12. #27
    RWEmerson
    Guest

    Re: World phones

    Joseph wrote:
    > On 11 Apr 2005 00:22:12 -0700, "[email protected]"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Do you know of any good prepaid SIM's for Canada? Thanks.

    >
    >
    > Both Rogers and Fido have prepaid. Cost of the initial card is $25
    > plus whatever amount of refill voucher to use.
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >


    You _may_ get it cheaper on eBay...



  • Similar Threads

    1. Chit Chat
    2. alt.cellular.verizon
    3. For Sale/Wanted
    4. alt.cellular.cingular
    5. alt.cellular.cingular



  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12