Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    SMS
    Guest
    "http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/06/12/13/apple.to.offer.mvno/"

    Argh, yet another MVNO.



    See More: Apple to resell Cingular service as MVNO




  2. #2

    Re: Apple to resell Cingular service as MVNO

    i know .. and I definitely wouldn't switch from Cingular just for an
    iphone .. i might buy it if it was sold through Cingular but i would
    never switch from Cingular for a MVNO -- even if they are on Cingulars
    network... By the way, i thought cingular didn't allow MVNO's that are
    on their network to use data?

    -Rich




  3. #3
    SMS
    Guest

    Re: Apple to resell Cingular service as MVNO

    [email protected] wrote:
    > i know .. and I definitely wouldn't switch from Cingular just for an
    > iphone .. i might buy it if it was sold through Cingular but i would
    > never switch from Cingular for a MVNO -- even if they are on Cingulars
    > network... By the way, i thought cingular didn't allow MVNO's that are
    > on their network to use data?


    I guess they do now. Data sales have been disappointing, since Sprint
    and Verizon locked up the early adopters since they had high speed
    coverage a lot earlier than Cingular. Cingular is also discontinuing the
    $20 package which many users abused by violating the terms, and doing
    tethering.

    Maybe it'll be a sweet deal offered by Apple for voice and data. In fact
    it would almost have to be, in order to get anyone to switch from the
    competition.



  4. #4

    Re: Apple to resell Cingular service as MVNO


    SMS wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > i know .. and I definitely wouldn't switch from Cingular just for an
    > > iphone .. i might buy it if it was sold through Cingular but i would
    > > never switch from Cingular for a MVNO -- even if they are on Cingulars
    > > network... By the way, i thought cingular didn't allow MVNO's that are
    > > on their network to use data?

    >
    > I guess they do now. Data sales have been disappointing, since Sprint
    > and Verizon locked up the early adopters since they had high speed
    > coverage a lot earlier than Cingular. Cingular is also discontinuing the
    > $20 package which many users abused by violating the terms, and doing
    > tethering.
    >
    > Maybe it'll be a sweet deal offered by Apple for voice and data. In fact
    > it would almost have to be, in order to get anyone to switch from the
    > competition.


    yes youre right.. good points




  5. #5
    SMS
    Guest

    Re: Apple to resell Cingular service as MVNO

    [email protected] wrote:
    > SMS wrote:
    >> [email protected] wrote:
    >>> i know .. and I definitely wouldn't switch from Cingular just for an
    >>> iphone .. i might buy it if it was sold through Cingular but i would
    >>> never switch from Cingular for a MVNO -- even if they are on Cingulars
    >>> network... By the way, i thought cingular didn't allow MVNO's that are
    >>> on their network to use data?

    >> I guess they do now. Data sales have been disappointing, since Sprint
    >> and Verizon locked up the early adopters since they had high speed
    >> coverage a lot earlier than Cingular. Cingular is also discontinuing the
    >> $20 package which many users abused by violating the terms, and doing
    >> tethering.
    >>
    >> Maybe it'll be a sweet deal offered by Apple for voice and data. In fact
    >> it would almost have to be, in order to get anyone to switch from the
    >> competition.

    >
    > yes youre right.. good points
    >


    Personally, I don't see a big market for this data service. Apple users
    are usually non-corporate users, and would have to pay for the service
    themselves. With so much free broadband available, most of which that is
    faster than HSDPA, you really have to have a compelling need for
    ubiquitous access to pay for HSDPA or EV-DO, or not care about the cost.

    Between public parks, libraries, cafes, coffee-houses, and free public
    Internet, it's hard to find a place without coverage, at least where I
    live. And of course nearly every person whose home I would visit has DSL
    or Broadband available to use.



  6. #6
    Todd Allcock
    Guest

    Re: Apple to resell Cingular service as MVNO

    At 13 Dec 2006 22:33:28 -0800 SMS wrote:

    > Personally, I don't see a big market for this data service. Apple users
    > are usually non-corporate users, and would have to pay for the service
    > themselves.


    Hard to make a coherent argument when we don't have the specifics, but
    I'd guess this will be a music/video download-centric service (i.e.
    $xx/month + $0.99/song) rather than a raw data one ($xx/MB.)

    > With so much free broadband available, most of which that is faster
    > than HSDPA, you really have to have a compelling need for ubiquitous
    > access to pay for HSDPA or EV-DO, or not care about the cost.



    I've got to move west! Everytime I see someone post about all this free
    broadband or free wi-fi everywhere I think "you obviously haven't been
    east of the Rockies in awhile!" ;-) In the 90% of the continental US NOT
    bordering the Pacific, wi-fi is not as ubiquitous as you think, and many
    businesses (coffee shops, bookstores, etc.) are clinging to an access-for-
    fee paid-service model.
    >
    > Between public parks, libraries, cafes, coffee-houses, and free public
    > Internet, it's hard to find a place without coverage, at least where I
    > live. And of course nearly every person whose home I would visit has DSL
    > or Broadband available to use.
    >


    We travel in different circles, apparently! I admit that there's
    enough free access even here in Denver that I wouldn't pay an outrageous
    price for cellular data, (my monthy fee is less than a one-day access
    pass at Starbucks) but it fills in the gaps, particularly if I don't
    spend my entire day reading or drinking coffee! ;-)



    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com




  7. #7
    SMS
    Guest

    Re: Apple to resell Cingular service as MVNO

    Todd Allcock wrote:
    > At 13 Dec 2006 22:33:28 -0800 SMS wrote:
    >
    >> Personally, I don't see a big market for this data service. Apple users
    >> are usually non-corporate users, and would have to pay for the service
    >> themselves.

    >
    > Hard to make a coherent argument when we don't have the specifics, but
    > I'd guess this will be a music/video download-centric service (i.e.
    > $xx/month + $0.99/song) rather than a raw data one ($xx/MB.)
    >
    >> With so much free broadband available, most of which that is faster
    >> than HSDPA, you really have to have a compelling need for ubiquitous
    >> access to pay for HSDPA or EV-DO, or not care about the cost.

    >
    >
    > I've got to move west! Everytime I see someone post about all this free
    > broadband or free wi-fi everywhere I think "you obviously haven't been
    > east of the Rockies in awhile!" ;-) In the 90% of the continental US NOT
    > bordering the Pacific, wi-fi is not as ubiquitous as you think, and many
    > businesses (coffee shops, bookstores, etc.) are clinging to an access-for-
    > fee paid-service model.


    LOL, one friend of mine told me that she had a hard time convincing her
    husband to come to the city council meetings, where we were fighting
    some developers, until she told him that he could sit in the council
    chambers, use the free wireless (actually a choice of three or four free
    networks), and drink free gourmet coffee provided by the coffee house
    attached to the library next door.

    Not only are most cities out here installing city-wide WiFI, but it's
    almost a requirement for restaurants, hotels, and businesses to provide
    it to their guests. Most homes of people I know have it available as
    well. When I have people over I often will send them the access
    information in advance, so they don't have to type in a long key.

    For most people, it's no big deal to not have constant access, the
    e-mail can wait, and if it's an emergency they'll be contacted by cell
    phone. For business people that need constant access, the $60 per month
    is no big deal. If the carriers dreamed about a large percentage of
    their subscribers spending an extra $60 per month, then they're sadly
    mistaken.

    The broadband companies, and cellular carriers have been fighting free
    Wi-Fi, but it's a losing battle.

    I even did the unthinkable a few months ago, while at my in-laws house,
    and used dial-up for a few minutes.



  8. #8
    Thurman
    Guest

    Re: Apple to resell Cingular service as MVNO


    "SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Todd Allcock wrote:
    > For most people, it's no big deal to not have constant access, the e-mail
    > can wait, and if it's an emergency they'll be contacted by cell phone. For
    > business people that need constant access, the $60 per month is no big
    > deal. If the carriers dreamed about a large percentage of their
    > subscribers spending an extra $60 per month, then they're sadly mistaken.


    In the month since I've purchased a 8525 with WiFi always available to turn
    on, without inserting a NIC, etc., I've yet to find a free hotspot that
    would allow legal access. I admit I don't try often.

    Years ago, a friend devised a litmus test for sailors. If someone looked up
    at the piece of yarn on the shroud, and discovered they were sailing >into<
    the wind, they could become a sailor.

    For people that question the need for mobile Internet access, I just have
    them sit in the passenger seat and connect to their most used favorite. If
    they have an 'ah ha' moment, they want mobile access.

    With the 3G announced with the 8525 Hermes and Blackjack, UMTS is $40/mon
    and includes, in writing, permission for tethering. That's a pretty strong
    draw for mobile connectivity.





  9. #9

    Re: Apple to resell Cingular service as MVNO

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:30:02 -0800, SMS <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/06/12/13/apple.to.offer.mvno/"
    >
    >Argh, yet another MVNO.



    SMS falls for a worthless rumor.



  • Similar Threads