Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    DSL
    Guest
    Having troubleshooted this for some time attempting to do what I
    imagined would be a reasonable feature of the phone, I figure I should
    share my results with others who may be looking for the same
    information.

    My main objective with purchasing the DCU-11 was to be able to
    synchronize my phone with Outlook, to avoid having to enter each one
    of my contacts into the phone one at a time. When you've got this
    many, it isn't an option at all. This is the story of my attempts.

    I purchased the data cable and found that it only comes with the
    drivers. These installed correctly and I now had a virtual COM3 port
    in device manager. At this point, the installer directed me to the
    Sony-Ericsson web site to download the rest. This must be the new
    "server yourself" approach to doing business. [They offered
    explanations that the CD was made before the software was available,
    but that meant the CD that I just got was many month old.] Going to
    the site, I [eventually, the site leaves a lot to be desired] found
    the MMS Home Studio and the Image Editor, neither of which were of
    much interest to me. I installed both of them anyway, one of which
    installed the needed Phone Monitor Options shortcut in the Control
    Panel which seems to act as a gateway for the software to communicate
    with the phone. Unfortunately, Phone Monitor Options does not see the
    phone when connected, although it sees the USB cable as COM3.

    Unable to go any further after hours of research, I [again,
    eventually] found their tech support number and called them to ask
    about these two problems. Where is the Outlook synchronization
    software and why isn't my phone recognized in Phone Monitor Options?

    The tech support woman answered that the T226 has no ability to
    synchronize with Outlook, and that the phone is not supposed to show
    up on the Phone tab in Phone Monitor Options. Only the USB cable is
    supposed to show up in there. According to her, that was enough for
    the two [IMO useless] applications to communicate with the phone.

    Whether this is the case or not I am not sure. Regardless of my
    certainty, I have not been able to make this phone do anything usefull
    with the DCU-11 besides manipulate the themes and create multimedia
    messages. You cannot download new games or synchronize Outlook with
    the phone.

    My advice to any looking into this currently: don't bother buying the
    DCU-11 data cable, unless you intend to get a better phone in the
    future (and want to pay $30 for practically nothing now). My advice
    to anyone having these problems also: stop wasting your time, we have
    been mislead by the sales description of the data cable. My advice to
    anyone looking into buying the T226: it is a cheap phone, and you'll
    get what you pay for - a cheap phone. (And the menu system is slow as
    snot, so don't be in a hurry.) My advice for anyone that already has
    the T226: get rid of it as soon as you can afford an upgrade, and
    consider it a loss.

    Any information that can lead me to the contrary of my finding would
    be much appreciated. Otherwise I waited for 2 months for
    Sony-Ericsson to ship the data cable to me for nothing.



    See More: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information




  2. #2
    Edward S
    Guest

    Re: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information

    DSL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Having troubleshooted this for some time attempting to do what I
    > .....


    People have no problem sending pictures and themes to the phone by the
    cable. Contacts should also work if they are sent as .vcf (by
    exporting phonebook entries in Outlook Express first). You have to
    send the entries one by one, but still better than typing them in.

    You do have to "enable" the COM port corresponding to your cable (COM3
    in your case) in Mobile Phone Monitor first.



  3. #3
    DSL
    Guest

    Re: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information

    On 31 Dec 2003 09:55:13 -0800, [email protected] (Edward S)
    wrote:

    >DSL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Having troubleshooted this for some time attempting to do what I
    >> .....

    >
    >People have no problem sending pictures and themes to the phone by the
    >cable. Contacts should also work if they are sent as .vcf (by
    >exporting phonebook entries in Outlook Express first). You have to
    >send the entries one by one, but still better than typing them in.
    >
    >You do have to "enable" the COM port corresponding to your cable (COM3
    >in your case) in Mobile Phone Monitor first.


    Hmm...thanks for the information. That seems to be my only avenue.
    However, after having enabled COM3 (the virtual USB COM port)
    according to their instructions, it still does not see my phone in the
    Cellular Phones tab of the Mobile Phone Monitor. It also does not see
    my phone in the Image Editor program ("not detected"). I have messed
    with it for hours now, whenever I have a chance. I don't think that I
    am going to figure it out by myself. I am currently in the process of
    removing and reinstalling the USB drivers - I don't know if that will
    help but I have no idea what's wrong either. I am totally at a loss
    here. Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated.



  4. #4
    Michael Pronay
    Guest

    Re: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information

    DSL <[email protected]eathtospam.net> wrote:

    > However, after having enabled COM3 (the virtual USB COM port)
    > according to their instructions, it still does not see my phone
    > in the Cellular Phones tab of the Mobile Phone Monitor.


    On my laptop under WinXP it was COM5. Maybe give it a try?

    M.



  5. #5
    DSL
    Guest

    Re: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information

    On 1 Jan 2004 22:10:45 GMT, Michael Pronay <[email protected]> wrote:

    >DSL <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> However, after having enabled COM3 (the virtual USB COM port)
    >> according to their instructions, it still does not see my phone
    >> in the Cellular Phones tab of the Mobile Phone Monitor.

    >
    >On my laptop under WinXP it was COM5. Maybe give it a try?
    >
    >M.


    Yes, I had thought of that too. Unfortunately, it does not allow me
    to change what COM port that it had automatically assigned during the
    driver installation. Let me reinstall the USB drivers and see what
    happens.



  6. #6
    DSL
    Guest

    Re: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information

    On 1 Jan 2004 22:10:45 GMT, Michael Pronay <[email protected]> wrote:

    >DSL <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> However, after having enabled COM3 (the virtual USB COM port)
    >> according to their instructions, it still does not see my phone
    >> in the Cellular Phones tab of the Mobile Phone Monitor.

    >
    >On my laptop under WinXP it was COM5. Maybe give it a try?
    >
    >M.


    Yes, after reinstalling the USB drivers it still creates a COM3. No
    luck there.

    I also have noticed something else unusual. After installing the
    drivers and making sure the USB driver was installed correctly, I
    removed the cable and watched it disappear from device manager. I
    connected the phone to the cable, and then plugged the cable into the
    computer, upon which the device was detected differently. Instead of
    detecting the cable as a COM port, it detected it as a USB device
    under USB Controllers. Specifically, it detected it with an error,
    such as "!USB" (yellow explanation point). Additionaly, it created
    the removable device icon in the system tray. Double-clicking the
    removable device icon to view what it had found shows the same "!USB"
    unknown USB device. In an attempt to clear this out, I removed the
    cable from the PC, removed the phone from the cable, and plugged the
    cable back into the PC but the PC still detects the cable now as
    "!USB". The only way to get it detected correctly again is to use the
    USB driver removal tool, reboot the PC, and reinstall the drivers
    without the phone attached. At that point, I am right where I left
    off - I have a COM3 port for the USB cable, the Phone Monitor detects
    the COM3 port but no phone when it is attached, and the Image Editor
    does not detect it either.



  7. #7
    Michael Pronay
    Guest

    Re: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information

    DSL <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yes, after reinstalling the USB drivers it still creates a COM3.
    > No luck there.
    >
    > I also have noticed something else unusual. [...]


    All I can say is that quite frequently, when synching, the system
    does not recognize the phone. Sometimes I have to retry
    (disconnect & reconnect the cable) 5, 6, 7 times - but then it
    works. On my desktop PC, however it worked once - and never since.

    M.



  8. #8
    Edward S
    Guest

    Re: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information

    Michael Pronay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > DSL <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > However, after having enabled COM3 (the virtual USB COM port)
    > > according to their instructions, it still does not see my phone
    > > in the Cellular Phones tab of the Mobile Phone Monitor.

    >
    > On my laptop under WinXP it was COM5. Maybe give it a try?
    >
    > M.




    The COM port number varies from one PC to another, depending on what
    you've installed previously. So pretty sure his COM3 is correct.

    One more very important thing I forgot, that he probably has to change
    the COM port speed to 9600. You can do it under device manager,
    ports.

    Apparently the T200 and T300 series only communicate at 9600 when
    using the cable. Hope this solves his problem.

    To verify that the cable connection is working, go to Accessories ->
    Communications -> Hyper Terminal , "Cancel" when it asks for
    connection description, File -> Properties, Connecting using -> choose
    you cable COM port(you can also change the com port speed to 9600 here
    under Configuration)

    Then type ATZ and enter , it should return OK , then try ATI1 , ATI2
    ... etc. If you see all the goodies showing up, you know the cable is
    working. You can then get out of this and do the real stuff. Good
    luck.



  9. #9
    Edward S
    Guest

    Re: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information

    DSL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 1 Jan 2004 22:10:45 GMT, Michael Pronay <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    ....
    > >On my laptop under WinXP it was COM5. Maybe give it a try?
    > >
    > >M.

    >
    > Yes, I had thought of that too. Unfortunately, it does not allow me
    > to change what COM port that it had automatically assigned during the
    > driver installation. Let me reinstall the USB drivers and see what
    > happens.



    You can usually change that COM port assignment under the "USB-Serial
    adapter" device found under Device Manager. This is irrelevant for
    solving your problem, but handy for future reference.



  10. #10
    DSL
    Guest

    Re: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information

    On 2 Jan 2004 16:10:20 GMT, Michael Pronay <[email protected]ivacy.net> wrote:

    >DSL <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, after reinstalling the USB drivers it still creates a COM3.
    >> No luck there.
    >>
    >> I also have noticed something else unusual. [...]

    >
    >All I can say is that quite frequently, when synching, the system
    >does not recognize the phone. Sometimes I have to retry
    >(disconnect & reconnect the cable) 5, 6, 7 times - but then it
    >works. On my desktop PC, however it worked once - and never since.
    >
    >M.


    That isn't a very good track record in terms of reliability. I can't
    do it at all (yet, hopefully), and you have to jump through hoops to
    get it working on only one of your two computers.



  11. #11
    DSL
    Guest

    Re: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information

    On 2 Jan 2004 10:02:23 -0800, [email protected] (Edward S)
    wrote:

    >Michael Pronay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> DSL <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > However, after having enabled COM3 (the virtual USB COM port)
    >> > according to their instructions, it still does not see my phone
    >> > in the Cellular Phones tab of the Mobile Phone Monitor.

    >>
    >> On my laptop under WinXP it was COM5. Maybe give it a try?
    >>
    >> M.

    >
    >
    >
    >The COM port number varies from one PC to another, depending on what
    >you've installed previously. So pretty sure his COM3 is correct.
    >
    >One more very important thing I forgot, that he probably has to change
    >the COM port speed to 9600. You can do it under device manager,
    >ports.
    >
    >Apparently the T200 and T300 series only communicate at 9600 when
    >using the cable. Hope this solves his problem.
    >
    >To verify that the cable connection is working, go to Accessories ->
    >Communications -> Hyper Terminal , "Cancel" when it asks for
    >connection description, File -> Properties, Connecting using -> choose
    >you cable COM port(you can also change the com port speed to 9600 here
    >under Configuration)
    >
    >Then type ATZ and enter , it should return OK , then try ATI1 , ATI2
    >.. etc. If you see all the goodies showing up, you know the cable is
    >working. You can then get out of this and do the real stuff. Good
    >luck.


    Now that's interesting. Using Hyperterminal to test the connection to
    the device...I'll certainly try that when I get back to my office.

    By default the speed of the COM3 port is set to 9600 baud. I was
    hoping to set it higher later but haven't touched it for now. I need
    to get it working first, before I try to make it work better...
    What's the deal with making the communications speed max at 9600?

    Another thing I can try is to take the cable home and install it on my
    home PC. Maybe my work PC's hardware is having a problem with it for
    some reason.



  12. #12
    DSL
    Guest

    Re: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information

    On 3 Jan 2004 13:30:06 -0600, DSL <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2 Jan 2004 10:02:23 -0800, [email protected] (Edward S)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Michael Pronay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >>> DSL <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> > However, after having enabled COM3 (the virtual USB COM port)
    >>> > according to their instructions, it still does not see my phone
    >>> > in the Cellular Phones tab of the Mobile Phone Monitor.
    >>>
    >>> On my laptop under WinXP it was COM5. Maybe give it a try?
    >>>
    >>> M.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>The COM port number varies from one PC to another, depending on what
    >>you've installed previously. So pretty sure his COM3 is correct.
    >>
    >>One more very important thing I forgot, that he probably has to change
    >>the COM port speed to 9600. You can do it under device manager,
    >>ports.
    >>
    >>Apparently the T200 and T300 series only communicate at 9600 when
    >>using the cable. Hope this solves his problem.
    >>
    >>To verify that the cable connection is working, go to Accessories ->
    >>Communications -> Hyper Terminal , "Cancel" when it asks for
    >>connection description, File -> Properties, Connecting using -> choose
    >>you cable COM port(you can also change the com port speed to 9600 here
    >>under Configuration)
    >>
    >>Then type ATZ and enter , it should return OK , then try ATI1 , ATI2
    >>.. etc. If you see all the goodies showing up, you know the cable is
    >>working. You can then get out of this and do the real stuff. Good
    >>luck.

    >
    >Now that's interesting. Using Hyperterminal to test the connection to
    >the device...I'll certainly try that when I get back to my office.
    >
    >By default the speed of the COM3 port is set to 9600 baud. I was
    >hoping to set it higher later but haven't touched it for now. I need
    >to get it working first, before I try to make it work better...
    >What's the deal with making the communications speed max at 9600?
    >
    >Another thing I can try is to take the cable home and install it on my
    >home PC. Maybe my work PC's hardware is having a problem with it for
    >some reason.


    No, it does the same thing at home. It creates a COM3 which is not
    recognized by the Phone Monitor (after enabling the COM port of
    course). Is there some special trick to this?



  13. #13
    Edward S
    Guest

    Re: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information

    DSL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 3 Jan 2004 13:30:06 -0600, DSL <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >..

    > No, it does the same thing at home. It creates a COM3 which is not
    > recognized by the Phone Monitor (after enabling the COM port of
    > course). Is there some special trick to this?


    I don't understand why you keep saying "..COM3 which is not recognized
    by the Phone Monitor" . Phone Monitor is not going to light up or
    tell you it recognizes COM3 unless you start using a program
    (sendfile, SE Image editor, etc..)

    If you cannot get hyper terminal to talk to the phone at 9600 as I've
    suggested, then the COM port is no good.

    If you believe it's the phone monitor that's no good, you can try
    using Float's Mobile Agent, which does not require phone monitor.

    Another possible situation is you may have some other program using
    COM3.



  14. #14
    DSL
    Guest

    Re: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information

    On 2 Jan 2004 10:02:23 -0800, [email protected] (Edward S)
    wrote:

    >Michael Pronay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> DSL <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > However, after having enabled COM3 (the virtual USB COM port)
    >> > according to their instructions, it still does not see my phone
    >> > in the Cellular Phones tab of the Mobile Phone Monitor.

    >>
    >> On my laptop under WinXP it was COM5. Maybe give it a try?
    >>
    >> M.

    >
    >
    >
    >The COM port number varies from one PC to another, depending on what
    >you've installed previously. So pretty sure his COM3 is correct.
    >
    >One more very important thing I forgot, that he probably has to change
    >the COM port speed to 9600. You can do it under device manager,
    >ports.
    >
    >Apparently the T200 and T300 series only communicate at 9600 when
    >using the cable. Hope this solves his problem.
    >
    >To verify that the cable connection is working, go to Accessories ->
    >Communications -> Hyper Terminal , "Cancel" when it asks for
    >connection description, File -> Properties, Connecting using -> choose
    >you cable COM port(you can also change the com port speed to 9600 here
    >under Configuration)
    >
    >Then type ATZ and enter , it should return OK , then try ATI1 , ATI2
    >.. etc. If you see all the goodies showing up, you know the cable is
    >working. You can then get out of this and do the real stuff. Good
    >luck.


    OK. Regardless of whether I can get the SE software working, I have
    managed to complete the Hyperterminal test successfully. It is
    responding similar to a modem. As a matter of fact, I went into Phone
    and Modem Options and added a 9600 Baud standard modem on COM3. I was
    able to query the T226 with a modem diagnostic test and it replied to
    all of the commands just like a modem. However, I still need a
    program that will use COM3.

    What software can I use that will recognize this connection? They
    seem to still be looking for a phone in Mobile Phone Monitor. Maybe
    there is a way to send and receive files using Hyperterminal?



  15. #15
    DSL
    Guest

    Re: T226 and DCU-11 connectivity information

    On 30 Dec 2003 15:55:15 -0600, DSL <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Having troubleshooted this for some time attempting to do what I
    >....


    Hmm...I've got some news. I managed to make it work, and it took me a
    little while to replicate my success. You'd think I'd be happy about
    getting it to work but due to the difficulty involved in this I have
    no happiness about it at all. Here's the steps to follow to reproduce
    my results:

    Hardware Installation:
    1. Acquire the DCU-11 data cable. Don't connect it to your computer
    or strangle the local SE salesman with it yet.
    2. Download and extract the latest drivers for it that are in
    Support-->DCU-11-->Global Support-->Drivers, Scripts, and Patches.
    3. Connect the data cable. Use the drivers when it asks for them.
    4. This should create a virtual COM port in Device Manager. No reboot
    should be necessary. (Removal: Use the driver removal tool given with
    the drivers. This requires a reboot. If you don't use the tool,
    Windows will use the same driver when it detects the cable again
    without asking.)

    Software Installation:
    1. Install the Image Editor (I haven't tested the MMS Home Studio
    yet). This will automatically install the Phone Monitor for you.
    2. Go to the Phone Monitor at Start-->Settings-->Control Panel (or if
    XP Luna interface then Start-->Control Panel). Double-click it, go to
    the COM Ports tab, and enable the virtual COM port that represents
    your USB data cable. It will not detect your phone yet.

    Detecting the Phone:
    1. Open the Image Editor. It will say "no phones detected" or
    something.
    2. Click on the Phone button. A dialog box will pop up asking you to
    select your phone from the list of pictures. Select your phone. It
    will say "no T226/T226s detected".
    3. Wait about a minute or so. It will eventually look to see if
    anything is there and attempt to connect to it. A wizard will pop up
    the first time asking you to name the connection. After that, each
    time it detects it (and in the Phone Monitor) it will label it as that
    given name.

    Now this is all rather strange. I could swear that in the past I had
    left the Image Editor running for a bit while I searched on the
    internet and no wizard popped up. Why did it finally work now?

    I've also gotten SendFile to run. It also needs about 30 seconds or
    so "warm up time" in order to see the phone. Let's see what I can do
    with this thing.

    Thanks to all for helping. Without you I wouldn't have gotten this
    working.



  • Phones Discussed Above

    Sony Ericsson T226 More Sony Ericsson T226 topics Sony Ericsson Forum Reviews
  • Similar Threads




  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast