Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Frode
    Guest
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    I'm looking around for a new phone and even though I was pretty intent on
    *not* getting Nokia this time around, the 6600 has turned up to be pretty
    tempting after looking at various models of different brands.

    I've googled a bit and can't seem to find anything terribly negative about
    the 6600.

    So, if you were to warn somebody against buying a 6600 (both "don't get!"
    warnings as well as "sure, get it, but be aware that..."), what would your
    warning be?

    Thanks in advance.


    - --
    Frode

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: PGP 8.0.3

    iQA/AwUBQHaqdOXlGBWTt1afEQJJ8ACeKRP1mJu25tL6tfDnBnJdr4QPgIsAoIv/
    sbFkefV22FcXDPVQfKM2Cd2x
    =QRs1
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




    See More: 6600 caveats?




  2. #2
    Peter Hill
    Guest

    Re: 6600 caveats?

    1, Occasionally an entry in the phonebook will not be recognised and when
    that contact rings you, only the number is displayed. (I've tried removing
    from both SIM and phone, changing formats - all to no avail)
    2, Watch the display doesn't have any missing pixels.
    3, PC Suite is rubbish - won't sync the calendar, and I can't get handset
    manager to recognise the phone via IR
    4, The MMC Card can't be swapped without switching the phone off
    5, "WAV" Ringtones are good but far too quiet
    6, Apparent bluetooth problems with headsets?

    Overall, more stable than my old Microsoft SPV as it doesn't crash as often,
    but not yet the finished article.

    "Frode" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > I'm looking around for a new phone and even though I was pretty intent on
    > *not* getting Nokia this time around, the 6600 has turned up to be pretty
    > tempting after looking at various models of different brands.
    >
    > I've googled a bit and can't seem to find anything terribly negative about
    > the 6600.
    >
    > So, if you were to warn somebody against buying a 6600 (both "don't get!"
    > warnings as well as "sure, get it, but be aware that..."), what would your
    > warning be?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    >
    > - --
    > Frode
    >
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > Version: PGP 8.0.3
    >
    > iQA/AwUBQHaqdOXlGBWTt1afEQJJ8ACeKRP1mJu25tL6tfDnBnJdr4QPgIsAoIv/
    > sbFkefV22FcXDPVQfKM2Cd2x
    > =QRs1
    > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    >



    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.647 / Virus Database: 414 - Release Date: 31/03/2004





  3. #3
    Frode
    Guest

    Re: 6600 caveats?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Peter Hill wrote:

    [list snipped]
    >Overall, more stable than my old Microsoft SPV as it doesn't crash as
    >often, but not yet the finished article.


    Much appreciated. I've been reading reviews while waiting for responses and
    you seem to have made a very nice summary of the bad points. One more thing
    I noticed that seems a bit major is some people are having problems with a
    huge amount of streaking (horizontal distortions) in the preview window
    while moving the phone. The lines aren't present in resulting pictures, but
    do remain visible in videos. I only saw this mentioned two places I think
    so not sure how prevalent it is, but that + the dead pixel issue pretty
    much forces me to deal with a store since potentially having to go through
    2-3 phones before getting a good one would be a freakin pain in the
    you-know-where if done via mailorder.

    "Not yet finished" is always the case with Nokia, sadly. It's the primary
    reason I wanted to try another brand this time around but the annoying part
    is that the 6600 just looks better than all the other phones in the same
    price range that I've checked reviews for. The SX1 was a good candidate but
    after the 7210 I desperately want a classic keyboard layout. I also saw a
    picture of the 6600 and SX1 side by side and the display quality of the
    6600 blew the SX1 clean out of the water.


    - --
    Frode

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: PGP 8.0.3

    iQA/AwUBQHcKAeXlGBWTt1afEQJwsACfVwX7hfrfuJqXvDnsE9p+/lsmxX4AoPzQ
    zckHKWMyLHVUolKmFT33uXCI
    =FelR
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




  4. #4
    Elessar
    Guest

    Re: 6600 caveats?

    "Frode" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Much appreciated. I've been reading reviews while waiting for responses and
    > you seem to have made a very nice summary of the bad points. One more thing
    > I noticed that seems a bit major is some people are having problems with a
    > huge amount of streaking (horizontal distortions) in the preview window
    > while moving the phone. The lines aren't present in resulting pictures, but
    > do remain visible in videos. I only saw this mentioned two places I think
    > so not sure how prevalent it is, but that + the dead pixel issue pretty
    > much forces me to deal with a store since potentially having to go through
    > 2-3 phones before getting a good one would be a freakin pain in the
    > you-know-where if done via mailorder.
    >
    > "Not yet finished" is always the case with Nokia, sadly. It's the primary
    > reason I wanted to try another brand this time around but the annoying part
    > is that the 6600 just looks better than all the other phones in the same
    > price range that I've checked reviews for.


    mmm, well, I've not had any of the problems the previous poster described to
    you. PC Suite syncs perfectly for me with Outlook 2003 BTW, and on balance I
    really like my 6600 (I upgraded from an SE Z600).

    Likewise, the issues you described in your recent post I do not experience. I
    am,
    however, running the latest firmware, so perhaps that corrected any anomalies.

    At any rate, for what it's worth, I'm very happy with the 6600 and don't really
    have anything negative to say about it as it provides every feature I was
    looking
    for. I suppose with any phone, you'll have views going one way and some another,
    based on people's expectations and needs.

    Good luck in your choice.

    Elessar





  5. #5
    Rob Tompsett
    Guest

    Re: 6600 caveats?

    'tis a crackin' phone!

    Excellent games & applications readily available.

    PC Suite works very well (although there were a few 'teething' problems,
    mainly down to outdated bluetooth drivers).

    Display is excellent, although you should check for dead pixels before you
    leave the shop. A few dead pixels is within tolerence for this type of
    display.

    I have not experienced any problems with it not picking up on numbers and
    displaying names.

    Just make sure that when you install apps, they are intended for the 60
    series platform, as I found the phone can be easily upset and the only
    remedy is a format.

    HTH, Rob.





  6. #6
    Frode
    Guest

    Re: 6600 caveats?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Elessar wrote:
    >for. I suppose with any phone, you'll have views going one way and some
    >another, based on people's expectations and needs.
    >
    >Good luck in your choice.


    I pretty much made my choice prior to posting. But wanted to throw it out
    there to see if anybody had anything major against the phone. Some of the
    problems are unit related (easily remedied by switching the phone) while
    others are the usual "nokia never releases finished software" issue.
    Neither are showstoppers for me so probably going out shopping today if I
    can find a store with it in stock

    The next challenge will probably be to find software that circumvents the
    time limitation on recording video and audio.

    Thanks.


    - --
    Frode

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: PGP 8.0.3

    iQA/AwUBQHezAOXlGBWTt1afEQLDjQCg/EfST4ccW/yvq1pyqh3ewgcP7H4AoJAt
    FeHNrlncthR0LOlbtppn7enr
    =c/yt
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




  7. #7
    Frode
    Guest

    Re: 6600 caveats?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Rob Tompsett wrote:
    >'tis a crackin' phone!


    Goodies

    >Excellent games & applications readily available.


    Anything in particular you would recommed as "couldn't live without" type
    extras?

    >PC Suite works very well (although there were a few 'teething' problems,
    >mainly down to outdated bluetooth drivers).


    I'll likely be using IR only so not an issue for me (already have an IR
    adapter).

    >Just make sure that when you install apps, they are intended for the 60
    >series platform, as I found the phone can be easily upset and the only
    >remedy is a format.


    Will do. Thanks

    - --
    Frode


    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: PGP 8.0.3

    iQA/AwUBQHe0JOXlGBWTt1afEQLsMQCgmfHSArSMxdLS/396rQjdhfhuhwoAn3Fa
    tgYmFcg+26GozBRGZaP/VSye
    =jylJ
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




  8. #8
    Rob Tompsett
    Guest

    Re: 6600 caveats?

    There's a great IR remote emulator by Psiloc - took out half the Sony Centre
    in Maidstone with it yesterday - great fun

    "Frode" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > Rob Tompsett wrote:
    > >'tis a crackin' phone!

    >
    > Goodies
    >
    > >Excellent games & applications readily available.

    >
    > Anything in particular you would recommed as "couldn't live without" type
    > extras?
    >
    > >PC Suite works very well (although there were a few 'teething' problems,
    > >mainly down to outdated bluetooth drivers).

    >
    > I'll likely be using IR only so not an issue for me (already have an IR
    > adapter).
    >
    > >Just make sure that when you install apps, they are intended for the 60
    > >series platform, as I found the phone can be easily upset and the only
    > >remedy is a format.

    >
    > Will do. Thanks
    >
    > - --
    > Frode
    >
    >
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > Version: PGP 8.0.3
    >
    > iQA/AwUBQHe0JOXlGBWTt1afEQLsMQCgmfHSArSMxdLS/396rQjdhfhuhwoAn3Fa
    > tgYmFcg+26GozBRGZaP/VSye
    > =jylJ
    > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    >






  9. #9
    Elessar
    Guest

    Re: 6600 caveats?

    "Frode" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > The next challenge will probably be to find software that circumvents the
    > time limitation on recording video and audio.


    Try here, Frode. It might be useful:

    http://www.aivanet.com/en/index.php?show=1

    Elessar





  10. #10
    Frode
    Guest

    Re: 6600 caveats?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Elessar wrote:
    >> The next challenge will probably be to find software that circumvents
    >> the time limitation on recording video and audio.

    >Try here, Frode. It might be useful:
    >http://www.aivanet.com/en/index.php?show=1


    Hello... That looks interesting. Thanks bunches. I picked up the phone
    yesterday. Themes on this thing bloody kicks ass! Using AEBlueFinal at the
    moment.

    Anyways, I'll get to browsing that site


    - --
    Frode

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: PGP 8.0.3

    iQA/AwUBQHkeXuXlGBWTt1afEQKcrgCcDKl/oXlOcn6vz6a+1o+kQifu8+EAnRZ1
    v3vJVcwssoSPY3CJR2DGnXSC
    =VcFB
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




  11. #11
    Elessar
    Guest

    Re: 6600 caveats?


    "Frode" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Hello... That looks interesting. Thanks bunches. I picked up the phone
    > yesterday. Themes on this thing bloody kicks ass! Using AEBlueFinal at the
    > moment.


    For themes, this is a great site - someone else posted a link in here a
    few days ago, so I don't take credit for it!

    http://symbianthemes.com/index.php

    Enjoy the phone, 'tis great.

    Elessar





  12. #12
    Frode
    Guest

    Re: 6600 caveats?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Elessar wrote:
    >For themes, this is a great site - someone else posted a link in here a
    >few days ago, so I don't take credit for it!
    >
    >http://symbianthemes.com/index.php
    >
    >Enjoy the phone, 'tis great.


    Apart from the "interesting" times last night when I had to reformat it, I
    am enjoying it immensely. Been waiting a good number of years on a phone
    where I can use wav files for ringtones and customize every aspect of the
    GUI. Too lazy to actually do the latter, of course, but there's a good
    number of themes I've looked at that are nice but just lacks a bit here and
    there for me to want to use them. That lil I will probably get around to
    fixing I guess

    Thanks for the site. Just emptied it out.


    - --
    Frode

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: PGP 8.0.3

    iQA/AwUBQHpfL+XlGBWTt1afEQIHhwCg4OdEX0F4cl2G/QhaFDC/LjE6x/UAoMJd
    0A7FMY2HHL1sxIp0jyP9Hqui
    =uqki
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




  13. #13
    Blackpanther
    Guest

    Re: 6600 caveats?

    > Elessar wrote:
    > >For themes, this is a great site - someone else posted a link in here a
    > >few days ago, so I don't take credit for it!
    > >
    > >http://symbianthemes.com/index.php
    > >
    > >Enjoy the phone, 'tis great.

    >
    > Apart from the "interesting" times last night when I had to reformat it, I
    > am enjoying it immensely. Been waiting a good number of years on a phone
    > where I can use wav files for ringtones and customize every aspect of the
    > GUI. Too lazy to actually do the latter, of course, but there's a good
    > number of themes I've looked at that are nice but just lacks a bit here and
    > there for me to want to use them. That lil I will probably get around to
    > fixing I guess
    >
    > Thanks for the site. Just emptied it out.
    >


    Hey if its the themes you like then read on . . .

    There is a program out called "Theme Studio"
    It lets you create you own themes :-)
    If you are like me i found when i downloaded several themes there were good things in each of them but maybe one thing in each i didnt like.
    So i wanted to take ALL the good things from each theme and put them into ONE new theme!!
    It was easy, so now i have a theme which is made up of bit's from many theme's just how i want it.
    I even had a play and used some of my own idea's.

    As far as i know i downloaded the program from the above link.
    (i think) (it was weeks ago!)


    THE BLACKPANTHER





  14. #14
    Frode
    Guest

    Re: 6600 caveats?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Blackpanther wrote:
    >Hey if its the themes you like then read on . . .
    >
    >There is a program out called "Theme Studio"
    >It lets you create you own themes :-)


    Already downloaded it Thanks though.


    - --
    Frode

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: PGP 8.0.3

    iQA/AwUBQH66MeXlGBWTt1afEQITvQCcCEXs0u1jDrc3ruyGtMItWHNupSMAoOvR
    lcVutLsRMGKPSJgxUFLarulD
    =ygFT
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----




  • Phones Discussed Above

    Nokia 6600 More Nokia 6600 topics Nokia Forum Reviews
  • Similar Threads