Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Jens Hoerburger
    Guest
    On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:30:01 +0800, "Niko Holm"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >And back to my original question. IS there software that can do this?


    I don't think so. I guess that must be a feature delievered from Nokia
    because it would be a big security hole if a symbian or java program
    is able to get access to the "sms writing machine" of the cellular. In
    all other cases a installed software would be able to write SMS
    itself.

    I also think that the power of the CPU isn't strong enough to do a
    voice recongnation.

    jens



    See More: Voice Recognition for writing SMS etc




  2. #2
    VK3XEM
    Guest

    Re: Voice Recognition for writing SMS etc

    Niko Holm wrote:

    > Class if you dont know the law here in australia
    >
    > Not only is it illegal to write / read sms while driving, phone calls are
    > also illegal as they lead to accidents.
    >
    > I wouldn't ask a question like that if I didnt have a decent reason to.
    >
    > "JJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >


    Niko, I am in Australia too and it is NOT illegal to talk on your phone
    if you have a hands free kit in your car. Do what I did, pay for a car
    kit rather than be a tight arse! If you say you don't use your mobile
    in your car, I reckon you talk **** because everyone does.


    73 de Simon, VK3XEM.



  3. #3
    Niko Holm
    Guest

    Re: Voice Recognition for writing SMS etc

    > Niko, I am in Australia too and it is NOT illegal to talk on your phone
    > if you have a hands free kit in your car. Do what I did, pay for a car
    > kit rather than be a tight arse! If you say you don't use your mobile
    > in your car, I reckon you talk **** because everyone does.
    >
    >
    > 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.



    I didnt say it was illegal to use a carkit / handsfree while driving. That
    should be implied anyway because every phone company out there would cut
    sick if it were illegal to do so... theyd lose a lot of sales.

    I dont want a car kit. My car is an original Ford XW GT and i've spent a lot
    of money and time on it making it look nice and factory original. I know
    theres plug and play car kits out there but for me its not worth the hassle.
    A plug and play kit is more like an Unplug and Run kit for any common thief,
    and to carry the damn kit everywhere is a nuisance.

    And for the record i _dont_ use my mobile in the car. My 2 year old son has
    now left this world because some jerk commodore driver was on his phone and
    didnt see a red light. Just about killed my wife too. But yes i DID use a
    mobile in the car and i'll be the first to admit its one way to lose your
    concentration and your life... or someone elses.






  4. #4
    michael turner
    Guest

    Re: Voice Recognition for writing SMS etc

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 17:03:11 +0800, Niko Holm wrote:

    > I dont want a car kit. My car is an original Ford XW GT and i've spent a lot
    > of money and time on it making it look nice and factory original. I know
    > theres plug and play car kits out there but for me its not worth the hassle.
    > A plug and play kit is more like an Unplug and Run kit for any common thief,
    > and to carry the damn kit everywhere is a nuisance.


    Bluetooth headset.

    --
    Michael Turner
    Email (ROT13)
    [email protected]



  5. #5
    michael turner
    Guest

    Re: Voice Recognition for writing SMS etc

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:13:54 +0800, Niko Holm wrote:

    > Class if you dont know the law here in australia
    >
    > Not only is it illegal to write / read sms while driving, phone calls are
    > also illegal as they lead to accidents.


    IMO the problem with voice recognition transcribing, is that it's often
    not very reliable.

    1) It needs ideal *quiet* conditions to work properly, something a car
    speeding down the motorway/highway/interstate/autobahn is NOT going to
    provide.

    2) A headset with boom-mic is required for it to work at it's best.

    3) You need to be constantly checking the screen to make sure what you've
    dictated is transcribed correctly. Something I would NOT like to be doing
    while at the wheel of a moving vehicle.

    > I wouldn't ask a question like that if I didnt have a decent reason to.


    Can't sending a text wait until you've stopped somewhere ?

    --
    Michael Turner
    Email (ROT13)
    [email protected]



  6. #6
    michael turner
    Guest

    Re: Voice Recognition for writing SMS etc

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:06:44 +0200, Jens Hoerburger wrote:

    > I also think that the power of the CPU isn't strong enough to do a
    > voice recongnation.


    It's also a problem of memory.

    Speech recognition software like 'Dragon Naturally Speaking', needs
    copious amounts of memory(read couple of hundred megabytes), for the
    dictionary/vocabulary. Something mobile phones tend to lack.

    So for the moment, speech recognition on phones is going to be limited
    to voice dialing.

    --
    Michael Turner
    Email (ROT13)
    [email protected]



  7. #7
    VK3XEM
    Guest

    Re: Voice Recognition for writing SMS etc

    Niko Holm wrote:
    >
    > I dont want a car kit. My car is an original Ford XW GT and i've spent a lot
    > of money and time on it making it look nice and factory original. I know
    > theres plug and play car kits out there but for me its not worth the hassle.
    > A plug and play kit is more like an Unplug and Run kit for any common thief,
    > and to carry the damn kit everywhere is a nuisance.
    >


    How about a blue tooth car kit, you could completely hide it in your car
    and no one would ever see it.


    73 de Simon, VK3XEM.



  8. #8
    Niko Holm
    Guest

    Re: Voice Recognition for writing SMS etc

    Really? You ripper! I didnt know that... will look into that for sure
    thanks mate!


    "VK3XEM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Niko Holm wrote:
    > >
    > > I dont want a car kit. My car is an original Ford XW GT and i've spent a

    lot
    > > of money and time on it making it look nice and factory original. I know
    > > theres plug and play car kits out there but for me its not worth the

    hassle.
    > > A plug and play kit is more like an Unplug and Run kit for any common

    thief,
    > > and to carry the damn kit everywhere is a nuisance.
    > >

    >
    > How about a blue tooth car kit, you could completely hide it in your car
    > and no one would ever see it.
    >
    >
    > 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.






  9. #9
    Gostkowski
    Gostkowski is offline
    Junior Member

    Posts
    11 - liked 1 times

    Re: Voice Recognition for writing SMS etc

    Quote Originally Posted by michael turner View Post
    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:06:44 +0200, Jens Hoerburger wrote:

    > I also think that the power of the CPU isn't strong enough to do a
    > voice recongnation.


    It's also a problem of memory.

    Speech recognition software like 'Dragon Naturally Speaking', needs
    copious amounts of memory(read couple of hundred megabytes), for the
    dictionary/vocabulary. Something mobile phones tend to lack.

    So for the moment, speech recognition on phones is going to be limited
    to voice dialing.

    --
    Michael Turner
    Actually its much further along then you think. On my phone I have this application called VoiceMode which allows me to continually dictate a SMS message or e-mail. The company does a basic demo of how it works here: VoiceSignal



  • Similar Threads