Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Le Ming
    Guest
    Hi all!
    Are Symbian OS phones like the 6260 capable to have an update of the
    system like regular computers or Palm Pilots have? If so, and if an
    update was released in the past, how does it work, and where does one
    checks to see the availability of these updates?
    Regards,

    --
    ---
    [email protected]
    iChat AV - [email protected]
    remove "bounce" to reply by mail



    See More: Symbian system updates?




  2. #2
    Oxygen Software
    Guest

    Symbian system updates?

    You can make all possible operating system and firmware updates only in
    official service centre.

    If you have any questions and/or suggestions, concerning our
    program, feel free to post them on our official forum
    http://www.opm-2.com/forum/

    Best regards, Maxim Vyalkov
    Oxygen Software - tools for your mobile phone.
    Oxygen Phone Manager II - all you want from your mobile phone.
    http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk/
    http://www.smsactivex.com/

    Hello, Le Ming!
    You wrote in conference alt.cellular.nokia on Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:32:53
    +0100 from address [email protected]:

    >Hi all!
    >Are Symbian OS phones like the 6260 capable to have an update of the
    >system like regular computers or Palm Pilots have? If so, and if an
    >update was released in the past, how does it work, and where does one
    >checks to see the availability of these updates?
    >Regards,


    >--
    >---
    >[email protected]
    >iChat AV - [email protected]
    >remove "bounce" to reply by mail






  3. #3
    Le Ming
    Guest

    Re: Symbian system updates?

    Oxygen Software <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You can make all possible operating system and firmware updates only in
    > official service centre.


    And how do I know a software update is available?
    is it referenced somewhere?
    >
    > If you have any questions and/or suggestions, concerning our
    > program, feel free to post them on our official forum
    > http://www.opm-2.com/forum/


    I dont really see the link to my question.

    --
    Le Ming
    iChatAV - [email protected]



  4. #4
    Simon Templar
    Guest

    Re: Symbian system updates?

    Le Ming wrote:
    > Oxygen Software <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>You can make all possible operating system and firmware updates only in
    >>official service centre.

    >
    >
    > And how do I know a software update is available?
    > is it referenced somewhere?
    >
    >>If you have any questions and/or suggestions, concerning our
    >>program, feel free to post them on our official forum
    >>http://www.opm-2.com/forum/

    >
    >
    > I dont really see the link to my question.
    >


    Don't worry about Oxygen Le, it is just an excuse for advertising their
    product. I doubt they are seriously able to answer your question about
    Symbian updates. *So a shameless plug for their product is not going to
    assist you with this question!*

    Basically all firmware updates are done via a Nokia Care Centre.

    The best way is to post a question in the newsgroup giving the current
    firmware revision of your phone and asking if there is an update,
    someone in the know here should then hopefully let us all know what the
    latest firmware revision is for that phone. Then if you decide you
    would like your phone upgraded with that revision contact your local
    Nokia Care Centre.


    --
    73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
    http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/cli...IENT_NO=157452
    The views stated by me are my own and have nothing to do with any
    organisation I belong to,so the prick that tried to slander me can get
    ****ED because it didn't work!



  5. #5
    Le Ming
    Guest

    Re: Symbian system updates?

    Simon Templar <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Basically all firmware updates are done via a Nokia Care Centre.


    So what one calls "Firmware update" is actually a system update?
    Computerwise, it's generally not the same. You update the motherboard's
    furmware, and update the system. Is SymbianOS in ROM?
    --
    ---
    [email protected]
    iChat AV - [email protected]
    remove "bounce" to reply by mail



  6. #6
    John Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Symbian system updates?



    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, at 20:56:51 [GMT +0300] (04:56:51 Tuesday, 11 January
    2005 where I live) "Oxygen Software" wrote:

    > If you have any questions and/or suggestions, concerning our
    > program, feel free to post them on our official forum
    > http://www.opm-2.com/forum/


    Spam

    --
    We all live in a yellow subroutine.




  7. #7
    Richard Colton
    Guest

    Re: Symbian system updates?


    "Oxygen Software" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > You can make all possible operating system and firmware updates only in
    > official service centre.


    Do try to give the right advice Maxim. Firmware CAN be easily updated by
    the end user if they have the right equipment (Twister, UFS, Griffin, JAF
    etc.). But if the phone is under warranty it's usually good advice to let
    an authorised service centre do the work.

    --
    >>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
    >>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
    >>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
    >>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<






  8. #8
    Anton Spaans
    Guest

    Re: Symbian system updates?


    "Le Ming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1gq7wu1.18ocskbjy47gzN%[email protected]
    > Simon Templar <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Basically all firmware updates are done via a Nokia Care Centre.

    >
    > So what one calls "Firmware update" is actually a system update?
    > Computerwise, it's generally not the same. You update the motherboard's
    > furmware, and update the system. Is SymbianOS in ROM?
    > --
    > ---
    > [email protected]
    > iChat AV - [email protected]
    > remove "bounce" to reply by mail


    Most (if not all) symbian phones have their operating system in their ROM.
    It can only be updated by a special hardware/software combination (see post
    of R. Colton). It can not be updated by just downloading and installing a
    newer version of some software.

    This is unlike a PC, which has its operating system on hard-disk, which can
    easily be updated.

    -- Anton.





  9. #9
    Le Ming
    Guest

    Re: Symbian system updates?

    "Anton Spaans" <aspaans at(noSPAM) smarttime dot(noSPAM) com> wrote:

    > Most (if not all) symbian phones have their operating system in their ROM.
    > It can only be updated by a special hardware/software combination (see post
    > of R. Colton). It can not be updated by just downloading and installing a
    > newer version of some software.


    Ok thanx for the input, that makes things clearer...

    --
    ---
    [email protected]
    iChat AV - [email protected]
    remove "bounce" to reply by mail



  10. #10
    eggster2k
    Guest

    Re: Symbian system updates?

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:24:38 -0500, "Anton Spaans" <aspaans at(noSPAM)
    smarttime dot(noSPAM) com> wrote:

    >
    >"Le Ming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:1gq7wu1.18ocskbjy47gzN%[email protected]
    >> Simon Templar <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Basically all firmware updates are done via a Nokia Care Centre.

    >>
    >> So what one calls "Firmware update" is actually a system update?
    >> Computerwise, it's generally not the same. You update the motherboard's
    >> furmware, and update the system. Is SymbianOS in ROM?
    >> --
    >> ---
    >> [email protected]
    >> iChat AV - [email protected]
    >> remove "bounce" to reply by mail

    >
    >Most (if not all) symbian phones have their operating system in their ROM.
    >It can only be updated by a special hardware/software combination (see post
    >of R. Colton). It can not be updated by just downloading and installing a
    >newer version of some software.



    the siemens sx1 can easily be updated at home and also some sony
    ericsson uiq devices.




  11. #11
    Johan Wevers
    Guest

    Re: Symbian system updates?

    Richard Colton wrote:

    > Do try to give the right advice Maxim. Firmware CAN be easily updated by
    > the end user if they have the right equipment (Twister, UFS, Griffin, JAF
    > etc.).


    Someone who has all this hardware probably already knows that and doesn't
    need to ask it here.

    --
    ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
    [email protected] // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html
    PGP/GPG public keys at http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/pgpkeys.html



  • Similar Threads