Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    * * Chas
    Guest
    I'm thinking of checking out Cingular's GSM service in the Northern
    California area.
    I'll also probably need TDMA and AMP coverage.

    I need a REAL phone i.e. no women's cosmetic compacts (tiny flip
    phones).

    No micro buttons (my fingers cover 2 to 3 buttons/keys, the thumb
    cover 4 to 6).

    I need to be able to read the screen in bright daylight and/or with
    sunglasses.

    No cameras, games, calculators or palm pilots and so on.

    I use ~4000 minutes a month. I just want to make and receive calls.

    I've been using a Nokia 6160 AT&T TDMA phone, a Nokia 3285 Verizon
    CDMA phone and recently a Sprint 3585i phone.

    I like the size and features of the older Nokia 6340i and Nokia 6310i
    phones.

    Any suggestions? No "girly-man" phones please.
    --
    Chas. [email protected] (Drop spamski to E-mail me)








    See More: GSM Phone for Cingular




  2. #2
    Mike S.
    Guest

    Re: GSM Phone for Cingular


    In article <[email protected]>,
    * * Chas <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm thinking of checking out Cingular's GSM service in the Northern
    >California area.
    >I'll also probably need TDMA and AMP coverage.
    >
    >I need a REAL phone i.e. no women's cosmetic compacts (tiny flip
    >phones).
    >
    >No micro buttons (my fingers cover 2 to 3 buttons/keys, the thumb
    >cover 4 to 6).
    >
    >I need to be able to read the screen in bright daylight and/or with
    >sunglasses.
    >
    >No cameras, games, calculators or palm pilots and so on.
    >
    >I use ~4000 minutes a month. I just want to make and receive calls.
    >
    >I've been using a Nokia 6160 AT&T TDMA phone, a Nokia 3285 Verizon
    >CDMA phone and recently a Sprint 3585i phone.
    >
    >I like the size and features of the older Nokia 6340i and Nokia 6310i
    >phones.
    >
    >Any suggestions? No "girly-man" phones please.


    Your 6340i, if unlocked, will work on a Cingular GSM system. Just go to a
    company store and ask for a customer-provided and maintained equipment
    activation. Good luck getting TDMA activated anywhere. A more modern GSM
    phone of similar form factor, with no frills, is the discontinued 3595 or
    its replacement, the 6010.





  3. #3
    * * Chas
    Guest

    Re: GSM Phone for Cingular


    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > * * Chas <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >I'm thinking of checking out Cingular's GSM service in the Northern
    > >California area.
    > >I'll also probably need TDMA and AMP coverage.
    > >
    > >I need a REAL phone i.e. no women's cosmetic compacts (tiny flip
    > >phones).
    > >
    > >No micro buttons (my fingers cover 2 to 3 buttons/keys, the thumb
    > >cover 4 to 6).
    > >
    > >I need to be able to read the screen in bright daylight and/or with
    > >sunglasses.
    > >
    > >No cameras, games, calculators or palm pilots and so on.
    > >
    > >I use ~4000 minutes a month. I just want to make and receive calls.
    > >
    > >I've been using a Nokia 6160 AT&T TDMA phone, a Nokia 3285 Verizon
    > >CDMA phone and recently a Sprint 3585i phone.
    > >
    > >I like the size and features of the older Nokia 6340i and Nokia

    6310i
    > >phones.
    > >
    > >Any suggestions? No "girly-man" phones please.

    >
    > Your 6340i, if unlocked, will work on a Cingular GSM system. Just go

    to a
    > company store and ask for a customer-provided and maintained

    equipment
    > activation. Good luck getting TDMA activated anywhere. A more

    modern GSM
    > phone of similar form factor, with no frills, is the discontinued

    3595 or
    > its replacement, the 6010.
    >


    Thanks for the response. I haven't picked up a GSM phone yet, I just
    started looking into it. I don't have service with Cingular yet, I'm
    checking them out now.

    I have an old AT&T Nokia 6160 TDMA that I used until about 3 months
    ago. It worked great during 6 years of traveling throughout the US on
    business - except parts of the east coast around NJ & NY and most of
    the west coast - all areas where AT&TWS's coverage sucked.

    I'm now based in the SF Bay Area. In the past, a lot of folks had
    coverage problems with GSM phones in this area. I've heard things have
    improved since the Cingular/ATTWS takeover. I cover an area up to 100
    miles north of SF and 50 miles east of there.

    There are a lot of rural areas with limited coverage, that's why I'm
    looking for a phone that has more than just GSM.

    I've read a lot of reviews on the 6340i. People either loved them or
    hated them. They sell for $20-$25 on e-Bay.

    Some people complained that they were fragile and/or they frequently
    turned themselves off. Any comment? What about your other 2
    suggestions. I use about 4000 minutes a month.
    --
    Chas. [email protected] (Drop spamski to E-mail me)






  4. #4
    Ivor Jones
    Guest

    Re: GSM Phone for Cingular

    * * Chas wrote:

    [snip]

    > I'm now based in the SF Bay Area. In the past, a lot of folks had
    > coverage problems with GSM phones in this area. I've heard things
    > have improved since the Cingular/ATTWS takeover. I cover an area up
    > to 100 miles north of SF and 50 miles east of there.


    I'm from the UK and have had no problems at all using a 6310i roaming on
    both Cingular and AT&T in the Bay area. This is using purely 1900 MHz of
    course, the 6310i being a European spec. one on 900/1800/1900. I've also
    used a pre-pay T-Mobile SIM card in the same phone with no major problems.
    Coverage dies around the Big Sur area on Hwy.1 but then so does everything
    from what I'm told ;-)

    Ivor





  5. #5
    * * Chas
    Guest

    Re: GSM Phone for Cingular


    "Ivor Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > * * Chas wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > I'm now based in the SF Bay Area. In the past, a lot of folks had
    > > coverage problems with GSM phones in this area. I've heard things
    > > have improved since the Cingular/ATTWS takeover. I cover an area

    up
    > > to 100 miles north of SF and 50 miles east of there.

    >
    > I'm from the UK and have had no problems at all using a 6310i

    roaming on
    > both Cingular and AT&T in the Bay area. This is using purely 1900

    MHz of
    > course, the 6310i being a European spec. one on 900/1800/1900. I've

    also
    > used a pre-pay T-Mobile SIM card in the same phone with no major

    problems.
    > Coverage dies around the Big Sur area on Hwy.1 but then so does

    everything
    > from what I'm told ;-)


    Very interesting. I saw a slew of 6310i Nokias listed on e-Bay by
    sellers in the UK including a lot of new ones. They seem to go for
    around £30-£50GBP ($50-$100USD). I was wonder how they would work in
    the US.

    Thanks
    --
    Chas. [email protected] (Drop spamski to E-mail me)






  6. #6
    Ivor Jones
    Guest

    Re: GSM Phone for Cingular

    * * Chas wrote:
    > "Ivor Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> * * Chas wrote:
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> I'm now based in the SF Bay Area. In the past, a lot of folks had
    >>> coverage problems with GSM phones in this area. I've heard things
    >>> have improved since the Cingular/ATTWS takeover. I cover an area
    >>> up to 100 miles north of SF and 50 miles east of there.

    >>
    >> I'm from the UK and have had no problems at all using a 6310i
    >> roaming on both Cingular and AT&T in the Bay area. This is using
    >> purely 1900 MHz of course, the 6310i being a European spec. one on
    >> 900/1800/1900. I've also used a pre-pay T-Mobile SIM card in the
    >> same phone with no major problems. Coverage dies around the Big
    >> Sur area on Hwy.1 but then so does everything from what I'm told
    >> ;-)

    >
    > Very interesting. I saw a slew of 6310i Nokias listed on e-Bay by
    > sellers in the UK including a lot of new ones. They seem to go for
    > around £30-£50GBP ($50-$100USD). I was wonder how they would work in
    > the US.
    >
    > Thanks


    I'd be wary of relying on 1900 GSM alone though, maybe a 6340i would
    better suit your needs given that it has TDMA and AMPS as well as both 850
    and 1900 GSM.

    Ivor





  7. #7
    Ron Parsons
    Guest

    Re: GSM Phone for Cingular

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Very interesting. I saw a slew of 6310i Nokias listed on e-Bay by
    >sellers in the UK including a lot of new ones. They seem to go for
    >around £30-£50GBP ($50-$100USD). I was wonder how they would work in
    >the US.


    I've had a 6310i in the US mostly but also in the UK, Russia, etc. on
    the old AT & T network and overall it's been really good. There are a
    few holes in the US where an older analog phone would have worked better.

    It's not totally compatible with all the iSinc features of my Macintosh
    Powerbook, but I am able to upload all the AddressBook data and use the
    BlueTooth to establish a GSM direct connection to the Internet.



  • Similar Threads