Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Cara
    Guest
    PLEASE HELP!

    I got my 6230 about 9 or 10 months ago and everything was working fine.
    But just last week, on certain numbers I have stored on the phone (and
    SIM card) it doesn't recognize them anymore.

    Let me give an example.

    I have my mom programmed into the SIM card as "Mom" and she has a
    caller ID photo and her own group ringtone.

    Now when she calls, it shows her photo, but instead of showing the name
    "Mom", it shows her number and plays the general generic ringtone for
    the phone.

    I have tried everything including deleting the number from the phone
    and card, but it still does it. Cingular has even sent me a NEW PHONE
    and it's still giving me these problems. It doesn't do it on all
    numbers, it just seems to be certain ones (and there is no pattern to
    it)

    Anyone with any clue???

    Thanks in advance!




    See More: 6230 - not recognizing groups and ringtones!!




  2. #2
    Marce
    Guest

    Re: 6230 - not recognizing groups and ringtones!!

    On 9 Aug 2005 12:27:08 -0700, "Cara" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >PLEASE HELP!
    >
    >I got my 6230 about 9 or 10 months ago and everything was working fine.
    > But just last week, on certain numbers I have stored on the phone (and
    >SIM card) it doesn't recognize them anymore.
    >
    >Let me give an example.
    >
    >I have my mom programmed into the SIM card as "Mom" and she has a
    >caller ID photo and her own group ringtone.
    >
    >Now when she calls, it shows her photo, but instead of showing the name
    >"Mom", it shows her number and plays the general generic ringtone for
    >the phone.
    >
    >I have tried everything including deleting the number from the phone
    >and card, but it still does it. Cingular has even sent me a NEW PHONE
    >and it's still giving me these problems. It doesn't do it on all
    >numbers, it just seems to be certain ones (and there is no pattern to
    >it)
    >
    >Anyone with any clue???
    >
    >Thanks in advance!


    I'm having the same problem. Sudden, random. All of my stuff is in the
    phone memory, not the SIM. I've tried a cold reboot, I've tried
    resetting to factory defaults. Cingular sent me a recoditioned one
    that had NO AUDIO at all and a screw loose, so I sent it back. Now
    they tell me they don't have any more 6230's and they'll replace it
    with a different (lesser) phone. I think NOT.

    Other than this problem -- which really bugs me because I rely on the
    different ringtones -- it works great. What could it be? And why all
    of a sudden?

    Anyone with any ideas?

    Marce




  3. #3
    KevinX
    Guest

    Re: 6230 - not recognizing groups and ringtones!!

    Cara,

    Are you sure that you haven't got your "Moms" number stored under a.n.other
    name also.

    Maybe you have your brothers/sisters/dads mobile number seperate PLUS your
    Moms number also under their heading??

    IF that were the case (or indeed duplicated any other numbers against
    different names), then that may cause the "clash of data"??

    May be worth a try, IF you haven't already..

    Why don't you select ONLY Phone OR SIM memory, and then try it?? (instead of
    having both SIM AND phone memories active)

    Good luck




    "Cara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > PLEASE HELP!
    >
    > I got my 6230 about 9 or 10 months ago and everything was working fine.
    > But just last week, on certain numbers I have stored on the phone (and
    > SIM card) it doesn't recognize them anymore.
    >
    > Let me give an example.
    >
    > I have my mom programmed into the SIM card as "Mom" and she has a
    > caller ID photo and her own group ringtone.
    >
    > Now when she calls, it shows her photo, but instead of showing the name
    > "Mom", it shows her number and plays the general generic ringtone for
    > the phone.
    >
    > I have tried everything including deleting the number from the phone
    > and card, but it still does it. Cingular has even sent me a NEW PHONE
    > and it's still giving me these problems. It doesn't do it on all
    > numbers, it just seems to be certain ones (and there is no pattern to
    > it)
    >
    > Anyone with any clue???
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >






  4. #4
    Cara
    Guest

    Re: 6230 - not recognizing groups and ringtones!!

    No, nothing is duplicated. Like I said, it started suddenly, without
    anyone even touching it. I'm wondering if it's not a problem with the
    sim card?




  5. #5
    Marce
    Guest

    Re: 6230 - not recognizing groups and ringtones!!

    On 10 Aug 2005 09:02:41 -0700, "Cara" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >No, nothing is duplicated. Like I said, it started suddenly, without
    >anyone even touching it. I'm wondering if it's not a problem with the
    >sim card?


    Cara,

    I'm experiencing the same thing and I wonder actually if it's a
    network problem related to caller ID. When my friends on other
    networks call me, their assigned ringtones work. When my husband and
    son call (same network, different accounts) they default to the
    regular ringtone and not their assigned caller group tones, although
    others in those caller groups work fine, but they're on different
    networks.

    I'm just trying to suss out the logic of what's happening. I've also
    checked for duplicates; I've deleted the people and re-entered them;
    I've checked all the settings from here until Tuesday. Nothing seems
    to work.

    It's frustrating because it happened all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago
    even though everything worked fine until then and I hadn't changed
    anything.

    Wacko!

    Marce

    PS The reason I was thinking the caller ID db might be the culprit is
    that about a year ago my house phone stopped identifying me to people
    I was calling. The phone company told me that they stream the caller
    ID update periodically and just to wait until the database got
    updated. In fact, after a few weeks, my ID was back.



  6. #6
    Nick B
    Guest

    Re: 6230 - not recognizing groups and ringtones!!

    From the Nokia 6230 Manual with regards to calling:

    "When you receive a call, the phone shows the callerís name, phone
    number, or the
    message Private number or Call. If more than one name is found in
    contacts with
    the seven last digits of the callerís phone number, only the phone number is
    displayed. The phone may display an incorrect name if the callerís
    number is not
    saved in contacts but there is another name saved with the same seven
    last digits."

    Double check she's still in the caller group?

    To verify it's the functionality of the phone, what I would do is back
    everything up to a computer, then do a master clear/master reset, delete
    all the contacts from the sim, create manually a new contact and assign
    it to a different group, then edit the ringtone for the group and try
    calling.

    Marce wrote:
    > On 10 Aug 2005 09:02:41 -0700, "Cara" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>No, nothing is duplicated. Like I said, it started suddenly, without
    >>anyone even touching it. I'm wondering if it's not a problem with the
    >>sim card?

    >
    >
    > Cara,
    >
    > I'm experiencing the same thing and I wonder actually if it's a
    > network problem related to caller ID. When my friends on other
    > networks call me, their assigned ringtones work. When my husband and
    > son call (same network, different accounts) they default to the
    > regular ringtone and not their assigned caller group tones, although
    > others in those caller groups work fine, but they're on different
    > networks.
    >
    > I'm just trying to suss out the logic of what's happening. I've also
    > checked for duplicates; I've deleted the people and re-entered them;
    > I've checked all the settings from here until Tuesday. Nothing seems
    > to work.
    >
    > It's frustrating because it happened all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago
    > even though everything worked fine until then and I hadn't changed
    > anything.
    >
    > Wacko!
    >
    > Marce
    >
    > PS The reason I was thinking the caller ID db might be the culprit is
    > that about a year ago my house phone stopped identifying me to people
    > I was calling. The phone company told me that they stream the caller
    > ID update periodically and just to wait until the database got
    > updated. In fact, after a few weeks, my ID was back.




  7. #7
    Marce
    Guest

    Re: 6230 - not recognizing groups and ringtones!!

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:50:57 -0400, Nick B
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > From the Nokia 6230 Manual with regards to calling:
    >
    >"When you receive a call, the phone shows the callerís name, phone
    >number, or the
    >message Private number or Call. If more than one name is found in
    >contacts with
    >the seven last digits of the callerís phone number, only the phone number is
    >displayed. The phone may display an incorrect name if the callerís
    >number is not
    >saved in contacts but there is another name saved with the same seven
    >last digits."
    >
    >Double check she's still in the caller group?
    >
    >To verify it's the functionality of the phone, what I would do is back
    >everything up to a computer, then do a master clear/master reset, delete
    >all the contacts from the sim, create manually a new contact and assign
    >it to a different group, then edit the ringtone for the group and try
    >calling.
    >


    I can't speak for Cara, but I've done all the things you've suggested
    -- master reset, create new contact, assign to group, change group
    ringtone, etc. The callers who aren't being identified aren't
    duplicated on the phone.

    As far as I can tell, for me it's only my contacts who are also on
    Cingular who are not being identified, and who ring the default
    ringtone instead of their assigned one. All other callers from
    Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint are ID'd and ringing their caller group
    ringtones.

    Marce



  • Phones Discussed Above

    BlackBerry 6210 / 6230 More BlackBerry 6210 / 6230 topics RIM (Blackberry) Forum Reviews
  • Similar Threads