Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    SL
    Guest
    I actually own a nokia N70 cell (soft ver 2.x.x). It take almost one minute
    to start. This is really very long when you just need to give a simple and
    short phonecall. I was wondering if this is because of the symbian OS or
    because of the cell ROM. If the reason is the OS, it means that all s60
    phone and above are very long to boot. Am I right ? I was planning to buy a
    E60 but because of this problem , i am considering other solutions.
    Any experience is welcomed

    Sid





    See More: S60 boot time




  2. #2
    Simon Templar
    Guest

    Re: S60 boot time

    SL wrote:
    > I actually own a nokia N70 cell (soft ver 2.x.x). It take almost one minute
    > to start. This is really very long when you just need to give a simple and
    > short phonecall. I was wondering if this is because of the symbian OS or
    > because of the cell ROM. If the reason is the OS, it means that all s60
    > phone and above are very long to boot. Am I right ? I was planning to buy a
    > E60 but because of this problem , i am considering other solutions.
    > Any experience is welcomed
    >
    > Sid


    My Nokia 6680 became VERY slow over time, recently I re-formatted the
    phone and it sped it up. Looks to me that over time crap builds up
    within the internal RAM and slows things right down! With only a crappy
    10 Meg of RAM in the 6680 you run into problems easily. :-(


    --
    The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
    belong to.

    73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
    http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/cl...IENT_NO=157452



  3. #3
    BT News
    Guest

    Re: S60 boot time

    SL wrote:
    > I actually own a nokia N70 cell (soft ver 2.x.x). It take almost one minute
    > to start. This is really very long when you just need to give a simple and
    > short phonecall. I was wondering if this is because of the symbian OS or
    > because of the cell ROM. If the reason is the OS, it means that all s60
    > phone and above are very long to boot. Am I right ? I was planning to buy a
    > E60 but because of this problem , i am considering other solutions.
    > Any experience is welcomed
    >
    > Sid
    >
    >

    The newer N series (and the E series) are faster at booting, only 30
    seconds.



  4. #4
    SteveG
    Guest

    Re: S60 boot time

    Simon Templar wrote:

    >
    > My Nokia 6680 became VERY slow over time, recently I re-formatted the
    > phone and it sped it up. Looks to me that over time crap builds up
    > within the internal RAM and slows things right down! With only a crappy
    > 10 Meg of RAM in the 6680 you run into problems easily. :-(
    >
    >



    Simon, I'm having a similar problem with my 6680 - as you say the
    internal RAM is woefully small. How do you reformat it?

    --
    Regards

    Steve G



  5. #5
    Simon Templar
    Guest

    Re: S60 boot time

    SteveG wrote:
    > Simon Templar wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> My Nokia 6680 became VERY slow over time, recently I re-formatted the
    >> phone and it sped it up. Looks to me that over time crap builds up
    >> within the internal RAM and slows things right down! With only a
    >> crappy 10 Meg of RAM in the 6680 you run into problems easily. :-(
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    > Simon, I'm having a similar problem with my 6680 - as you say the
    > internal RAM is woefully small. How do you reformat it?


    Hi Steve,
    As posted on the group recently by [email protected]:

    > -------- Original Message --------
    > Subject: Re: Nokia 6680 Format
    > Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 23:11:49 GMT
    > From: [email protected]
    > Organisation: ntl Tesco ADSL News Service
    > Newsgroups: alt.cellular.nokia
    > References: <[email protected]>
    >
    > On Mon, 08 May 2006 05:29:02 +1000, Simon Templar <[email protected]>
    > wrote:in a shakey hand
    >
    > Hello again!
    >
    >>My Nokia 6680 has remnants of past installs that I have long since
    >>removed and it is hogging the pathetically small 10 Meg of internal RAM,
    >>causing the phone to hang and even reset at times. I have tried the
    >>*#7780# to restore the phone to factory settings but it does not remove
    >>all the crap.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know how to clean the phone up completely so none of the
    >>crap is left?

    >
    > Switch off the phone.
    >
    > Hold down the following three keys: Green (call) key, * key, and '3' key.
    >
    > While holding these keys down, press the power key and switch on the phone
    >
    > When the message 'Formatting' appears on the screen, release all of the
    > buttons. The "Formatting" message is also intermittent; you may also need
    > to try a reformat a couple of times before it gets rid of all the dross.
    >
    > Note that you shouldn't switch the phone off or remove the battery when
    > performing either of these operations, and it's advised that the handset has
    > a reasonable amount of battery charge before performing a format/reset.
    >
    > Don't know if this will work as I don't have a 6680, got the details from
    > someone who reckons it did work.
    >
    > I don't have any of these problems with a 6310i




    --
    The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
    belong to.

    73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
    http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/cl...IENT_NO=157452







  6. #6
    SteveG
    Guest

    Re: S60 boot time

    Simon Templar wrote:
    > SteveG wrote:
    >> Simon Templar wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> My Nokia 6680 became VERY slow over time, recently I re-formatted the
    >>> phone and it sped it up. Looks to me that over time crap builds up
    >>> within the internal RAM and slows things right down! With only a
    >>> crappy 10 Meg of RAM in the 6680 you run into problems easily. :-(
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> Simon, I'm having a similar problem with my 6680 - as you say the
    >> internal RAM is woefully small. How do you reformat it?

    >
    > Hi Steve,
    > As posted on the group recently by [email protected]:
    >
    >> -------- Original Message --------
    >> Subject: Re: Nokia 6680 Format
    >> Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 23:11:49 GMT
    >> From: [email protected]
    >> Organisation: ntl Tesco ADSL News Service
    >> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.nokia
    >> References: <[email protected]>
    >>
    >> On Mon, 08 May 2006 05:29:02 +1000, Simon Templar <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:in a shakey hand
    >>
    >> Hello again!
    >>
    >>> My Nokia 6680 has remnants of past installs that I have long since
    >>> removed and it is hogging the pathetically small 10 Meg of internal
    >>> RAM, causing the phone to hang and even reset at times. I have tried
    >>> the *#7780# to restore the phone to factory settings but it does not
    >>> remove all the crap.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know how to clean the phone up completely so none of the
    >>> crap is left?

    >>
    >> Switch off the phone.
    >>
    >> Hold down the following three keys: Green (call) key, * key, and '3' key.
    >>
    >> While holding these keys down, press the power key and switch on the
    >> phone
    >>
    >> When the message 'Formatting' appears on the screen, release all of the
    >> buttons. The "Formatting" message is also intermittent; you may also
    >> need
    >> to try a reformat a couple of times before it gets rid of all the dross.
    >>
    >> Note that you shouldn't switch the phone off or remove the battery when
    >> performing either of these operations, and it's advised that the
    >> handset has
    >> a reasonable amount of battery charge before performing a format/reset.
    >>
    >> Don't know if this will work as I don't have a 6680, got the details from
    >> someone who reckons it did work.
    >>
    >> I don't have any of these problems with a 6310i

    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
    > belong to.
    >
    > 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
    > http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/cl...IENT_NO=157452
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

    Cheers Simon. I missed that before :-)

    --
    Regards

    Steve G



  7. #7
    Manu
    Guest

    Re: S60 boot time

    Is only the crap that disapears? what about numbers and pictures, etc..



    "SteveG" <[email protected]_._> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]
    > Simon Templar wrote:
    >> SteveG wrote:
    >>> Simon Templar wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> My Nokia 6680 became VERY slow over time, recently I re-formatted the
    >>>> phone and it sped it up. Looks to me that over time crap builds up
    >>>> within the internal RAM and slows things right down! With only a
    >>>> crappy 10 Meg of RAM in the 6680 you run into problems easily. :-(
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Simon, I'm having a similar problem with my 6680 - as you say the
    >>> internal RAM is woefully small. How do you reformat it?

    >>
    >> Hi Steve,
    >> As posted on the group recently by [email protected]:
    >>
    >>> -------- Original Message --------
    >>> Subject: Re: Nokia 6680 Format
    >>> Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 23:11:49 GMT
    >>> From: [email protected]
    >>> Organisation: ntl Tesco ADSL News Service
    >>> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.nokia
    >>> References: <[email protected]>
    >>>
    >>> On Mon, 08 May 2006 05:29:02 +1000, Simon Templar <[email protected]>
    >>> wrote:in a shakey hand
    >>>
    >>> Hello again!
    >>>
    >>>> My Nokia 6680 has remnants of past installs that I have long since
    >>>> removed and it is hogging the pathetically small 10 Meg of internal
    >>>> RAM, causing the phone to hang and even reset at times. I have tried
    >>>> the *#7780# to restore the phone to factory settings but it does not
    >>>> remove all the crap.
    >>>>
    >>>> Does anyone know how to clean the phone up completely so none of the
    >>>> crap is left?
    >>>
    >>> Switch off the phone.
    >>>
    >>> Hold down the following three keys: Green (call) key, * key, and '3'
    >>> key.
    >>>
    >>> While holding these keys down, press the power key and switch on the
    >>> phone
    >>>
    >>> When the message 'Formatting' appears on the screen, release all of the
    >>> buttons. The "Formatting" message is also intermittent; you may also
    >>> need
    >>> to try a reformat a couple of times before it gets rid of all the dross.
    >>>
    >>> Note that you shouldn't switch the phone off or remove the battery when
    >>> performing either of these operations, and it's advised that the handset
    >>> has
    >>> a reasonable amount of battery charge before performing a format/reset.
    >>>
    >>> Don't know if this will work as I don't have a 6680, got the details
    >>> from
    >>> someone who reckons it did work.
    >>>
    >>> I don't have any of these problems with a 6310i

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
    >> belong to.
    >>
    >> 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
    >> http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/cl...IENT_NO=157452

    > Cheers Simon. I missed that before :-)
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Steve G






  8. #8
    Simon Templar
    Guest

    Re: S60 boot time

    Manu wrote:
    > Is only the crap that disapears? what about numbers and pictures, etc..


    You will loose everything as it restores the phone back to factory as
    well as removing files. However files that you have in an MMC will
    still be intact.

    The usual rule applies - Back up all your data!


    --
    The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
    belong to.

    73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
    http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/cl...IENT_NO=157452



  • Similar Threads