Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Leon Obers
  • 1 Post By Leon Obers
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Stabby
    Guest
    I've always used Nokia in the past, but this is by far the worst phone
    I've ever owned - 3 months of hell. Constant crashes and freezing, it
    would randomly decide to stop logging incomming missed calls, and
    display some wierd icon under the video-phone camera (handset icon with
    arrow pointing at camera) - at which point I had to press the end call
    button about 10 times and it would sometimes disappear, sometimes not.
    It would switch off half-way through a call, even with full battery.
    Stupid flashing blue light on the front which I smashed in the end ;-)
    Also it refused to save any images taken with the camera.

    Even when it was working "correctly", it'd take a good 2 minutes to boot
    up, the interface was ridiculously slow and clunky.

    Overall, utter crap. I've changed to an SE W850i now, which is a dream
    after that experience. I doubt I'll go back to a Nokia.

    In case anyone just thinks this is a troll, here's a couple of pictures
    a friend took after I finally had enough and gave the phone a few smacks
    with a hammer. I felt so much better!

    http://smashcat.org/crap-nokia-n73-smashed/pic-1.jpg
    http://smashcat.org/crap-nokia-n73-smashed/pic-2.jpg

    --
    me.



    See More: N73, worst piece of crap I've ever owned!




  2. #2
    NoX
    NoX is offline
    Do u like scary movies?
    NoX's Avatar

    Location
    In Tha Middle Of Nowhere...
    Posts
    140 - liked 2 times

    Re: N73, worst piece of crap I've ever owned!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby
    I've always used Nokia in the past, but this is by far the worst phone
    I've ever owned - 3 months of hell. Constant crashes and freezing, it
    would randomly decide to stop logging incomming missed calls, and
    display some wierd icon under the video-phone camera (handset icon with
    arrow pointing at camera) - at which point I had to press the end call
    button about 10 times and it would sometimes disappear, sometimes not.
    It would switch off half-way through a call, even with full battery.
    Stupid flashing blue light on the front which I smashed in the end ;-)
    Also it refused to save any images taken with the camera.

    Even when it was working "correctly", it'd take a good 2 minutes to boot
    up, the interface was ridiculously slow and clunky.

    Overall, utter crap. I've changed to an SE W850i now, which is a dream
    after that experience. I doubt I'll go back to a Nokia.

    In case anyone just thinks this is a troll, here's a couple of pictures
    a friend took after I finally had enough and gave the phone a few smacks
    with a hammer. I felt so much better!

    http://smashcat.org/crap-nokia-n73-smashed/pic-1.jpg
    http://smashcat.org/crap-nokia-n73-smashed/pic-2.jpg

    --
    me.
    are u sure about that? i really like what this phone can do, and the fact that it wass quite small for a symbian nokia... i have a question for u though, where was the phone made? i guess not Finland..wasn't it?
    http://allnokian96.com - All you need for your N96
    http://www.n70-themes.com - Themes for Nokia N70
    http://symbianapplications.net/ - Applications for Symbian



  3. #3
    Leon Obers
    Guest

    Re: N73, worst piece of crap I've ever owned!



    Munkey wrote:


    > I'd pop the phone on Ebay and see what offers you get for it


    >>http://smashcat.org/crap-nokia-n73-smashed/pic-1.jpg
    >>http://smashcat.org/crap-nokia-n73-smashed/pic-2.jpg


    I don't think anybody is interested in a broken smashed phone ;-)


    --
    Vr.groet - regards, Léon Obers




  4. #4
    Stabby
    Guest

    Re: N73, worst piece of crap I've ever owned!

    Munkey wrote:
    > I guess a lot depends on the provider. I know Orange phones are known to
    > have very dodgy firmware. Boot times depend on how much crap you have in the
    > MiniSD system folder. If you fill it up with crap it will lock up for a
    > while whilst it sorts through it.


    I never installed anything on it; no music, no apps, nothing - I never
    even bothered changing the ring-tone. Only ever tried the camera once
    and the phone seemed to lock up (not that I really wanted to use fuzzy
    looking phone camera images - I have a camera for photos), so it
    certainly wasn't low on memory. It was supplied through Vodafone in the
    UK - the service guy I spoke with told me they'd had a lot of problems
    with them, so it seems I'm not alone. I know what Nokia's support is
    like ("we'll keep your phone for 6 months!") so it wasn't worth
    bothering trying to get it replaced - in any case I'm sure another n73
    would be just as crap, to be honest.

    >If you're having to switch the phone on
    > and off regularly then you have some serious problems.


    It managed to do that all by itself, so yeah...

    > Only complaint I have with is that it takes a while to start the camera app.
    > Sounds like you filled the memory up and screwed up the phone, a bit like
    > running windows with 5mb hard drive space free


    Again, nope. That certainly wouldn't explain the bizarre and
    undocumented icons appearing on the display for no apparent reason,
    freezing, frequently blank display (apart from the wallpaper) and
    perhaps most annoying, the fact I couldn't dial a number on the keypad
    without having to press a number, then the end-call button, then type
    the number.

    > I'd pop the phone on Ebay and see what offers you get for it


    See original post - I took great pleasure in smashing it ;-) 3 months of
    shockingly bad operation was enough. I wouldn't inflict that junk on my
    worst enemy. Before this I couldn't imagine any phone annoying me enough
    to actually pay full price for a replacement rather than waiting 9
    months for the next free upgrade. Well done Nokia!



  5. #5
    Leon Obers
    Guest

    Re: N73, worst piece of crap I've ever owned!



    Stabby wrote:

    > Munkey wrote:
    >
    >> I guess a lot depends on the provider. I know Orange phones are known
    >> to have very dodgy firmware. Boot times depend on how much crap you
    >> have in the MiniSD system folder. If you fill it up with crap it will
    >> lock up for a while whilst it sorts through it.


    > I never installed anything on it; no music, no apps, nothing - I never
    > even bothered changing the ring-tone. Only ever tried the camera once
    > and the phone seemed to lock up


    What me surprised is that if a phone is not working as expected with
    lots of trouble, you didn't get back to the phone company or shop where
    you got your phone and exchange *under warranty* your phone for another
    one of the same or other model.


    --
    Vr.groet - regards, Léon Obers




  6. #6
    Stabby
    Guest

    Re: N73, worst piece of crap I've ever owned!

    I haven't had any problems up till that last Nokia - my previous 7250
    was ok, although pretty slow - I had a firmware update on that, and it
    screwed up the Java side (weird visual artifacts in games), so I won't
    bother doing that on a phone again!

    I bought a Sony Ericcson w850i from Vodafone to replace the n73 and it's
    flawless so far. Very slick and fast interface with cool effects, even
    while it's playing music in the background (I've been taking photos with
    it and playing games while MP3s are playing, no problem!) It's certainly
    not playing catch-up all the time like the n73 - when that worked at
    all! Sound is exceptionally good - better than my iPod! I don't know if
    the n73 plays mp3s, or has a radio, but I suspect it'd crawl even worse
    if these were in use along with the interface. Camera comes on almost
    instantly - and it saves pictures and video!

    I'm happy in a way, that the n73 *was* so bad, as I wouldn't have
    realized what I was missing! Nokia's interface is like a dinosaur in
    comparison to this!

    No, I don't work for SE, and up till now always chose Nokia...

    Munkey wrote:
    > Yeah Vodaphone's firmware is notorious for being crappy and buggy. My wife's
    > got hers on O2 and it seems fine, alot quicker than the N70 for going
    > through menus etc. Only thing I found to be bad was the camera startup time
    > but I guess that's mostly due to switch screen orientation etc.
    > Heard that Orange phones are a lot worse for firmware due to all the
    > restrictions they place on the handsets.
    >
    > I'd buy O2 in future as they only change a few things such as themes and
    > screensavers. A pity you had such a bad experience with the phone as it runs
    > nice with decent firmware
    >
    >
    > "Stabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Munkey wrote:
    >>
    >>>I guess a lot depends on the provider. I know Orange phones are known to
    >>>have very dodgy firmware. Boot times depend on how much crap you have in
    >>>the MiniSD system folder. If you fill it up with crap it will lock up for
    >>>a while whilst it sorts through it.

    >>
    >>I never installed anything on it; no music, no apps, nothing - I never
    >>even bothered changing the ring-tone. Only ever tried the camera once and
    >>the phone seemed to lock up (not that I really wanted to use fuzzy looking
    >>phone camera images - I have a camera for photos), so it certainly wasn't
    >>low on memory. It was supplied through Vodafone in the UK - the service
    >>guy I spoke with told me they'd had a lot of problems with them, so it
    >>seems I'm not alone. I know what Nokia's support is like ("we'll keep your
    >>phone for 6 months!") so it wasn't worth bothering trying to get it
    >>replaced - in any case I'm sure another n73 would be just as crap, to be
    >>honest.
    >>
    >>
    >>>If you're having to switch the phone on and off regularly then you have
    >>>some serious problems.

    >>
    >>It managed to do that all by itself, so yeah...
    >>
    >>
    >>>Only complaint I have with is that it takes a while to start the camera
    >>>app. Sounds like you filled the memory up and screwed up the phone, a bit
    >>>like running windows with 5mb hard drive space free

    >>
    >>Again, nope. That certainly wouldn't explain the bizarre and undocumented
    >>icons appearing on the display for no apparent reason, freezing,
    >>frequently blank display (apart from the wallpaper) and perhaps most
    >>annoying, the fact I couldn't dial a number on the keypad without having
    >>to press a number, then the end-call button, then type the number.
    >>
    >>
    >>>I'd pop the phone on Ebay and see what offers you get for it

    >>
    >>See original post - I took great pleasure in smashing it ;-) 3 months of
    >>shockingly bad operation was enough. I wouldn't inflict that junk on my
    >>worst enemy. Before this I couldn't imagine any phone annoying me enough
    >>to actually pay full price for a replacement rather than waiting 9 months
    >>for the next free upgrade. Well done Nokia!

    >
    >
    >




  7. #7
    Leon Obers
    Guest

    Re: N73, worst piece of crap I've ever owned!



    jeWINK.WINK wrote:
    > "Leon Obers" <[email protected]> wrote in message


    >>Stabby wrote:


    >>>Munkey wrote:


    >>What me surprised is that if a phone is not working as expected with lots
    >>of trouble, you didn't get back to the phone company or shop where you got
    >>your phone and exchange *under warranty* your phone for another one of the
    >>same or other model.


    > If this user is in the USA I can understand why .. Warranty? What warranty?
    > My phone, 2 days old. It was the last one the company had. I nibbled on
    > the warranty hook. first they said 7-10 which became 10-15 days [to repair
    > or replace.] Seriously ... even if I got the phone back in 15 days, how
    > many people can go THAT LONG without their cellphone...............


    Oh boy, it seems customers in USA are handed over to willingness of a
    company, how bad it could be.

    I live in Holland, and "consumers" are protected by law in a heavy way.
    The normal procedure for most products and shop-rules is this:
    Is a product not to your satisfactory, irrespective of reasons, within 8
    days you can return your product to the shop or company and get a full
    refund. Only important rule for normal functional products (so if there
    is no trouble to the product) is that packages and product is not
    damaged. So "as new". Several shops and companies even have a 14 days
    return period.

    Faulty, not working or bad working products, you can return the product
    immediately to the shop, and you can exchange by a brand new product of
    the same, or other model within the 8 days period, without questions.

    After that first "free" 8 days return, a company is responsible for
    repare and / or exchange for a comparable device, if he can not repare
    the first device.
    As for phones, most people do get a sort of ensurance for about Euro 2,-
    a month included with their phone account that you get a replacement
    phone for the time your own device is at the support department for repair.

    However, some repairs can be lengthly. My oldest daughter had a
    replacement phone for over 4 months till her own phone got back. She got
    a new device. (Samsung).

    In "early" digital camera times I bought a Fuji S1 Pro for about Euro 3500,-
    In 9 months and 3 exchanged camera's, it still didn't function as
    expected, I returned it and got a full refund as I payed 9 months before.


    --
    Vr.groet - regards, Léon Obers

    littlestar likes this.



  8. #8
    Stabby
    Guest

    Re: N73, worst piece of crap I've ever owned!

    [email protected] wrote:
    > On Feb 6, 8:04 pm, Stabby <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Munkey wrote:
    >>(not that I really wanted to use fuzzy
    >>looking phone camera images - I have a camera for photos),

    >
    >
    > You really shouldn't get fuzzy photos with an N73, here's a couple of
    > mine, straight form the camera to the web. I woudn't want to blow them
    > up to poster size, but they print fine at A5 at least:-
    >
    > http://i10.tinypic.com/339lmdt.jpg
    >
    > http://i6.tinypic.com/2u73syh.jpg
    >
    > Yes the church spire is bent in real life. The shutter delay does mind
    > capturing moving targets a bit hit and miss mind you :-/
    >


    Sorry, but although they're nice for a camera phone, they're far from
    the quality of even a cheap camera. You can see bad pixelation in the
    sky in the church picture, and the clouds look flat. I keep a cheap
    camera on me when I'm out and about, (think it was 180 pounds when I
    bought it, but it's probably about 120 or so now). I'm not much of a
    photographer, but here's a couple of examples of quick snaps I took a
    few months ago... (straight from the camera, although I think i cropped
    the last one).

    http://www.smashcat.org/crap-nokia-n...shed/pic-4.jpg (high-res)
    http://www.smashcat.org/crap-nokia-n...shed/pic-5.jpg (low-res)
    http://www.smashcat.org/crap-nokia-n...shed/pic-6.jpg (medium-res)

    As you can see, the camera doesn't pixelate the picture nearly as much
    as a phone.



  9. #9
    Stabby
    Guest

    Re: N73, worst piece of crap I've ever owned!

    Leon Obers wrote:
    >
    >
    > jeWINK.WINK wrote:
    >
    >> "Leon Obers" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >
    >
    >>> Stabby wrote:

    >
    >
    >>>> Munkey wrote:

    >
    >
    >>> What me surprised is that if a phone is not working as expected with
    >>> lots of trouble, you didn't get back to the phone company or shop
    >>> where you got your phone and exchange *under warranty* your phone for
    >>> another one of the same or other model.

    >
    >
    >> If this user is in the USA I can understand why .. Warranty? What
    >> warranty? My phone, 2 days old. It was the last one the company had.
    >> I nibbled on the warranty hook. first they said 7-10 which became
    >> 10-15 days [to repair or replace.] Seriously ... even if I got the
    >> phone back in 15 days, how many people can go THAT LONG without their
    >> cellphone...............

    >
    >
    > Oh boy, it seems customers in USA are handed over to willingness of a
    > company, how bad it could be.
    >
    > I live in Holland, and "consumers" are protected by law in a heavy way.
    > The normal procedure for most products and shop-rules is this:
    > Is a product not to your satisfactory, irrespective of reasons, within 8
    > days you can return your product to the shop or company and get a full
    > refund. Only important rule for normal functional products (so if there
    > is no trouble to the product) is that packages and product is not
    > damaged. So "as new". Several shops and companies even have a 14 days
    > return period.


    I'm in the UK, the company I got the n73 from offer a 14 day return
    period, but the problems only became unbearable after that time (it did
    crash several times within the first 14 days, but from what I read, this
    is not unusual for the n73). I can't be without a phone for months while
    Nokia mess around trying to fix their broken kit.

    So anyway, my Sony Ericcson phone has been working for weeks now without
    being switched off - no crashes, and no slow-down. I used to suggest
    people buy Nokia even when my colleagues were buying Sony phones, but
    there's no way I'd recommend Nokia any more after having endured an n73!



  10. #10
    Leon Obers
    Guest

    Re: N73, worst piece of crap I've ever owned!



    Stabby wrote:
    > Leon Obers wrote:


    >> I live in Holland, and "consumers" are protected by law in a heavy way.
    >> The normal procedure for most products and shop-rules is this:
    >> Is a product not to your satisfactory, irrespective of reasons, within
    >> 8 days you can return your product to the shop or company and get a
    >> full refund.

    {...]
    >> Several shops and companies even have a 14
    >> days return period.



    > I'm in the UK, the company I got the n73 from offer a 14 day return
    > period, but the problems only became unbearable after that time (it did
    > crash several times within the first 14 days, but from what I read, this
    > is not unusual for the n73).


    If it crashes already within the first 14 days, I had already returned
    it, in spite if it is "not unusual" for this model.

    > I can't be without a phone for months while
    > Nokia mess around trying to fix their broken kit.


    If you haven't a replacement phone I should say a normal repair time
    should not be longer that 14 days. If it takes (much) longer I should
    not accept that.
    If the expectations of a product is not in in accordance with the specs
    or normal functionallity (crashing is not a normal functionality) a
    "trade agreement" can be cancelled if the shop can not help you within a
    reasonable time. Waiting for months is not normal either.
    "Dutch consumer law" insist to refund in such cases.

    > So anyway, my Sony Ericcson phone has been working for weeks now without
    > being switched off - no crashes, and no slow-down.


    I had a Sony "only" for a couple of years. Falling down many times (even
    at concrete floors), but still working. One time it fealt down I still
    could phone bu not use the adress book anymore (the swevel wheel was
    broken). After about 3-4 years use I got another phone (when battery was
    "finished").
    Samsung afterwards. Bad "hinges" (open - close the two halfs of the
    phone). Has to be repaired just within the warranty time. Took about 14
    days. Because of the bad experiance of my daughter with "hinges" too and
    a repair time over 4 months, I dont want a phone with two halves anymore.

    I have a Nokia 6680 now, and still am satisfied.
    Yes it can be "buggy" or crashing under some special circumstances.
    I have installed a GPS navigation tool. Using a heavy map of complete
    Western Europe in detail (placed on a 2 Gb MMC memory card), the
    processor and memory is working at their limits as can be expected and
    sometimes it is realy to much for the device.
    Loading more little "Country" maps still with major roads of complete
    Western Europe however, does work without any problems.

    > I used to suggest
    > people buy Nokia even when my colleagues were buying Sony phones, but
    > there's no way I'd recommend Nokia any more after having endured an n73!


    I can understand your input. But who knows, maybe a next Sony-Ericcson
    can have big problems too. I think every brand do have their strong and
    bad models.

    Anyway, succes with your Sony-Ericcson model.

    --
    Vr.groet - regards, Léon Obers

    littlestar likes this.



  11. #11
    Stabby
    Guest

    Re: N73, worst piece of crap I've ever owned!

    [email protected] wrote:
    > On Feb 10, 3:51 pm, Stabby <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>http://www.smashcat.org/crap-nokia-n...jpg(medium-res)
    >>
    >>As you can see, the camera doesn't pixelate the picture nearly as much
    >>as a phone.

    >
    >
    > No, but then the Casio is 8 megapixels stored in 2.8MB compared with
    > 3.2 megapixels stored in 800K(ish) for the N73


    Resolution makes no difference to quality for natural images - the
    colour purity and image sharpness are the important aspects. Even if I
    use the lowest resolution (which is much lower than the n73), with
    highest compression I don't get the fuzziness, or pixellation of a phone
    camera. A phone camera is what it is; a handy add-on that can be used
    for some snaps or videos when you're not really bothered about quality.
    My friends use them all the time when we're out and about to capture the
    stupidest antics of the night! ;-)



  • Phones Discussed Above

    Nokia N73 Black More Nokia N73 Black topics Nokia Forum Reviews
  • Similar Threads