Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    xPol
    Guest
    Recharging my n93 through an usb 2.0 cable plugged in my laptop seems
    to take forevere. After 48 hours it was still charging, Is there
    something wrong?
    I would like to find an utility to monitor the batery level. Any
    suggestiobs?
    By the way, will the S60 be upgradable to 3.1, some day?

    Thank you
    --
    Pol



    See More: battery recharging and monitoring




  2. #2
    Larry
    Guest

    Re: battery recharging and monitoring

    xPol <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Recharging my n93 through an usb 2.0 cable plugged in my laptop seems
    > to take forevere. After 48 hours it was still charging, Is there
    > something wrong?
    > I would like to find an utility to monitor the batery level. Any
    > suggestiobs?
    > By the way, will the S60 be upgradable to 3.1, some day?
    >
    > Thank you
    > --
    > Pol
    >


    A Laptop USB port cannot provide the kind of current that phone's charger
    is capable of producing. So, for the few milliamps the USB port on the
    laptop can produce, it takes much longer to recharge it, ESPECIALLY if
    the charger must also keep up with the phone pulling nearly as much
    current as is available in th efirst place. It might never recharge the
    phone.

    Get a real USB chaarger for it....




  3. #3
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: battery recharging and monitoring

    Hi Pol,

    I have a Nokia N95 and I never use the mains charger to charge it.

    I purchased the Nokia CA-100 USB charger, which is the official USB
    charger (NOT the standard USB cable supplied with the phone) but I
    also admit I charge it from my desktop, rather than my laptop,
    although I can't really see that it would make any difference with the
    adaptor.

    I agree with Larry to some extent though, that is does take a LITTLE
    longer, but not as much time as you seem to suggest, but maybe if the
    phone is down to the last 'bar' on the battery indicator, it may take
    1.5 hours !
    I also have a Nokia 6288 as a spare and my wife has a Nokia 6280 and
    they also chatge fine with this adaptor !

    I have looked on the Nokia (UK) website and it shows that the adaptor
    is compatible with the N93 :-
    http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4808753

    And here is the actual adaptor itself :
    http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4808752

    Anyway, I have been using nothing else but this adaptor to charge the
    3 phones from the USB port for exactly a year now with no problems !

    I am not sure if you are in the UK or USA etc. but the adaptor cost me
    14 (UK) a year ago !

    Hope this helps.

    Steve

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 02:46:46 +0000, Larry <[email protected]> wrote:

    >xPol <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Recharging my n93 through an usb 2.0 cable plugged in my laptop seems
    >> to take forevere. After 48 hours it was still charging, Is there
    >> something wrong?
    >> I would like to find an utility to monitor the batery level. Any
    >> suggestiobs?
    >> By the way, will the S60 be upgradable to 3.1, some day?
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> --
    >> Pol
    >>

    >
    >A Laptop USB port cannot provide the kind of current that phone's charger
    >is capable of producing. So, for the few milliamps the USB port on the
    >laptop can produce, it takes much longer to recharge it, ESPECIALLY if
    >the charger must also keep up with the phone pulling nearly as much
    >current as is available in th efirst place. It might never recharge the
    >phone.
    >
    >Get a real USB chaarger for it....





  4. #4
    xPol
    Guest

    Re: battery recharging and monitoring

    Steve wrote:
    >
    > I agree with Larry to some extent though, that is does take a LITTLE
    > longer, but not as much time as you seem to suggest, but maybe if the
    > phone is down to the last 'bar' on the battery indicator, it may take
    > 1.5 hours !


    Battery indicator shows all bars, so my guess is that charging has
    almost stopped at, say, 80-90 per cent.
    As far as i can tell, no phone functions were on, during the recharging,

    Thankk you
    --
    Pol



  5. #5
    Patrick Walterscheidt
    Guest

    Re: battery recharging and monitoring

    as provided already above ,
    an standard USB Port cannot provide the amount of power needed
    to recharge an Phone or any other device.
    there is difference between USB 2.0 and USB 1.0
    also between laptops and Desktops concerning the amount of mA which can
    given from USB Port to connected DEvices.
    There are few laptops / Toshiba / Asus ... (just google)
    which have One USB Port who is capable of charging devices even
    when Laptop is off.

    Coming back to difference btn. USB 2.0 and 1.0
    as far as i am concerned my opinion is that the amount of power provided
    by usb 2.0 is ten times larger than the amount of usb 1.0 port.
    (just google to check).

    Reg.

    P.WAlterscheidt.



  6. #6
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: battery recharging and monitoring

    Hi again Pol,

    I have just had an afterthought .....
    My Nokia N95, 6280, 6288 and even my old 6230i NEVER charge through
    the USB cable !!!!
    You have to either use the supplied Mains Charger, or use the Nokia
    CA-100 that I described in great detail in my last reply !!!!!!

    No wonder the battery didn't charge by usung the USB cable !
    I should have spotted this straight away ... sorry !

    So to recap ....
    YOU MUST EITHER USE THE SUPPLIED NOKIA MAINS CHARGER....
    OR....
    PURCHASE THE NOKIA CA-100 IF YOU WANT TO CHARGE THE PHONE VIA A USB
    PORT !

    Also as far as I know (and i have looked at LOTS of utilities) ther is
    no barttery monitoring software for the N93 ... unless someone here
    knows different !

    Steve

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:11:01 +0200, xPol <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve wrote:
    >>
    >> I agree with Larry to some extent though, that is does take a LITTLE
    >> longer, but not as much time as you seem to suggest, but maybe if the
    >> phone is down to the last 'bar' on the battery indicator, it may take
    >> 1.5 hours !

    >
    >Battery indicator shows all bars, so my guess is that charging has
    >almost stopped at, say, 80-90 per cent.
    >As far as i can tell, no phone functions were on, during the recharging,
    >
    >Thankk you





  7. #7
    Larry
    Guest

    Re: battery recharging and monitoring

    Steve <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > also admit I charge it from my desktop, rather than my laptop,
    >


    The laptops have current limiters in them to prevent users from prematurely
    killing the already-overloaded battery packs. Desktops, being nuclear
    powered, have plenty of watts to charge batteries.

    But, all that said, I still can't imagine why anyone would jeopardize a
    thousand dollar computer system just to charge his phone. Suppose
    something happens to the battery pack or charging system inside the phone
    while it's attached to the expensive computer? Will the USB on the
    MOTHERBOARD survive the short? Will the MOTHERBOARD have cooked traces
    INSIDE its multilayered printed circuit?

    If you trash a charger shorting its output, you're out 10 quid, not 500!

    The MOTHERBOARD designers never intended you to charge your phone from
    their expensive MOTHERBOARD. Is braggin' rights that important to take
    that chance?

    I don't think so.....




  8. #8
    xPol
    Guest

    Re: battery recharging and monitoring

    Larry wrote:
    >
    > But, all that said, I still can't imagine why anyone would jeopardize a
    > thousand dollar computer system just to charge his phone. Suppose
    > something happens to the battery pack or charging system inside the phone
    > while it's attached to the expensive computer? Will the USB on the
    > MOTHERBOARD survive the short? Will the MOTHERBOARD have cooked traces
    > INSIDE its multilayered printed circuit?


    I see your point.
    I use to work with a usb backlit keyboard, Is my motherboard at risk?

    Thank you
    --
    Pol



  9. #9
    xPol
    Guest

    Re: battery recharging and monitoring

    Steve wrote:
    > No wonder the battery didn't charge by usung the USB cable !


    You mean the battery can never be FULLY charged?

    Thank you
    --
    Pol



  10. #10
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: battery recharging and monitoring

    Hi Larry,

    Yes, you are coorect about mA limiters etc, hence the reason some USB
    hubs come with separate power supplies to power them !

    Your point about the battery pack (and this is one of the reasons I
    ONLY use genuine Nokia batteries !) etc and damaging the motherboard,
    has already been taken into account by Nokia ... they don't want to be
    sued for motherboard damage cuased by their USB chargers !
    Nokia have thought about your point and fully addressed it !

    If you look at their adaptor, the CA-100, (see my previous message for
    the link to the site for a piccy !) the USB part has a
    regulator/current protection circuit in it ... this actually gets warm
    in use, then cools when battery is fully charged !
    So, sorry to inform you that if you use the correct Nokia USB charger
    your motherboard is at NO RISK !!!!
    As I said before, I have used it every day for over a year, and charge
    3 phones with it and have no worries about damaging my VERY expensive
    computer !

    It has NOTHING to do with "braggin' rights", I don't know why you
    suggest this, I find it quite offensive that you suggest this.
    It is just convienient to charge by USB for me, as I am disabled and
    my mobile phone sits next to me all day at my computer in case of
    emergencies or difficulties I might get into, this way it is always
    charged up !
    I have no easily accessible mains sockets in my computer room, and
    even if I did, access to them for me would be difficult because of my
    disability !

    Your point was a valid one ... but as I say totally sorted by Nokia !
    But please DO look at the pic of the adaptor, and even feel free to
    contact Nokia too to verify what I say !

    Kindest Regards,
    Steve

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:15:26 +0000, Larry <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> also admit I charge it from my desktop, rather than my laptop,
    >>

    >
    >The laptops have current limiters in them to prevent users from prematurely
    >killing the already-overloaded battery packs. Desktops, being nuclear
    >powered, have plenty of watts to charge batteries.
    >
    >But, all that said, I still can't imagine why anyone would jeopardize a
    >thousand dollar computer system just to charge his phone. Suppose
    >something happens to the battery pack or charging system inside the phone
    >while it's attached to the expensive computer? Will the USB on the
    >MOTHERBOARD survive the short? Will the MOTHERBOARD have cooked traces
    >INSIDE its multilayered printed circuit?
    >
    >If you trash a charger shorting its output, you're out 10 quid, not 500!
    >
    >The MOTHERBOARD designers never intended you to charge your phone from
    >their expensive MOTHERBOARD. Is braggin' rights that important to take
    >that chance?
    >
    >I don't think so.....





  11. #11
    Larry
    Guest

    Re: battery recharging and monitoring

    xPol <[email protected]> wrote in news:mj7sk.23361$0N.776
    @tornado.fastwebnet.it:

    > I use to work with a usb backlit keyboard, Is my motherboard at risk?
    >
    >


    No, it doesn't have a high tech battery with a perpensity to explode.




  12. #12
    Chris Blunt
    Guest

    Re: battery recharging and monitoring

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:18:03 +0000, Larry <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Your point about the battery pack (and this is one of the reasons I
    >> ONLY use genuine Nokia batteries !) etc and damaging the motherboard,
    >> has already been taken into account by Nokia ... they don't want to be
    >> sued for motherboard damage cuased by their USB chargers !
    >> Nokia have thought about your point and fully addressed it !
    >>

    >
    >Let's be realistic. Nokia doesn't make batteries any more than it makes
    >sellphones. The Chinese slavors make batteries and sellphones, not Nokia.
    >
    >I thought I had a Honda Reflex 250cc motor scooter, too, until a Chinese
    >guy who fled Hong Kong opened up a new scooter shop near home. I dropped
    >by looking for something and THERE SAT MY HONDA! But, wait! My Honda says
    >HONDA right there on the front. This one doesn't. This one has a built-in
    >AM/FM radio my Honda doesn't. I always wondered what the air conditioner
    >vent outlets were for under the windshield....THATS where the SPEAKERS go
    >on the no-name Chinese model.
    >
    >We pulled the covers off both inside....same EXACT motor, except his
    >doesn't say HONDA on it like mine does. His retails for $2895, a real
    >bargain even if it didn't have the stereo. Honda dealers sold theirs for
    >nearly 5000 bucks!
    >
    >Nokia designs it. The Chinese built it, not Nokia. Nokia asks for bids on
    >a battery pack. The Chinese build it cheaper than Korea. Which one do you
    >think Nokia, or any of them, buy?
    >
    >I won't buy another Honda. I'm buying the Chinese next time around. They
    >got a great 500cc twin model...the biggest they make.


    Regardless of where they choose to have their products made, Nokia
    still have the opportunity to specify the assembly process and manage
    the quality control. If they fail to do so and end up with an inferior
    product, that's their mistake and they'll suffer the consequences of a
    bad reputation.

    Chris



  • Similar Threads