Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    JB
    Guest
    I have 2 new 6340i phones. I am unable to code a 'w' (to force a wait)
    in the one touch dialing string for key 1. This is the voice mailbox
    dialing number.
    It works fine for one touch keys 2-7.
    And the string worked fine on my Nokia 3360's.

    Nokia "help desk" says to send them in for repair!

    Anyone have insight on this problem?
    JB




    See More: 6340i 1 or one touch dialing problem - no 'w' accepted in string




  2. #2
    Ivor Jones
    Guest

    Re: 6340i 1 or one touch dialing problem - no 'w' accepted in string


    "JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have 2 new 6340i phones. I am unable to code a 'w' (to force a wait)
    > in the one touch dialing string for key 1. This is the voice mailbox
    > dialing number.
    > It works fine for one touch keys 2-7.
    > And the string worked fine on my Nokia 3360's.
    >
    > Nokia "help desk" says to send them in for repair!
    >
    > Anyone have insight on this problem?
    > JB
    >


    Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you need to put a wait command
    into the voicemail number..?

    Ivor





  3. #3
    Bill Lavernoich
    Guest

    Re: 6340i 1 or one touch dialing problem - no 'w' accepted in string

    I've noticed the same problem with my family's 6340i phones. The reason,
    Ivor, is so you can preprogram your password to be dialed by hitting the
    send key without having to punch in a half-dozen or so numbers and/or
    characters. It allows you to accurately and quickly access voice mail
    without having to try to remember another password and then punch it in the
    short time after the vm greeting starts.

    Yeh, there is a security issue which may be why Cingular has had the phones
    set up purposely to not allow this user preprogramming on the "1" key.
    Also, in our area, Cingular is now assigning a new phone number exclusively
    for vm access through one-touch dialing of the "1" key. However, it does
    not seem to stop you from dialing you primary cell phone number to get
    through to voice mail, You can also preprogram your dialing string on
    another one-touch key, 2-9, and this process is even outlined in the 6340i
    manual. Still, it's rather inconvenient as the phone menus want you to use
    the "1" key for vm access.


    "Ivor Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > "JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I have 2 new 6340i phones. I am unable to code a 'w' (to force a wait)
    > > in the one touch dialing string for key 1. This is the voice mailbox
    > > dialing number.
    > > It works fine for one touch keys 2-7.
    > > And the string worked fine on my Nokia 3360's.
    > >
    > > Nokia "help desk" says to send them in for repair!
    > >
    > > Anyone have insight on this problem?
    > > JB
    > >

    >
    > Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you need to put a wait command
    > into the voicemail number..?
    >
    > Ivor
    >
    >






  4. #4
    kf4qzj
    Guest

    Re: 6340i 1 or one touch dialing problem - no 'w' accepted in string

    Why go through the trouble. The number that is loaded into the 1 key
    will work anywhere you go since it is a dedicated number directly to
    voice mail. Unlike the TDMA that used a "speed dial" like *99 that
    only works in your local market. For TDMA customers that roam a bunch,
    I would program their 1 key with a pause that you get by pressing the
    * key about 3 time for the "p" Pause.
    And yes, when you are in your local market, simply dialing yourself
    will direct you to VM, where the caller ID recognizes you and give you
    your messages.

    If you are worried about security of just anyone getting your VM, the
    answer is simple, DONT let your phone out of your hand. If you do,
    program a PIN lock or a call restriction.

    Guess he does not want his wife to here the VM from his girlfriend.




    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 22:30:15 GMT, "Bill Lavernoich"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've noticed the same problem with my family's 6340i phones. The reason,
    >Ivor, is so you can preprogram your password to be dialed by hitting the
    >send key without having to punch in a half-dozen or so numbers and/or
    >characters. It allows you to accurately and quickly access voice mail
    >without having to try to remember another password and then punch it in the
    >short time after the vm greeting starts.
    >
    >Yeh, there is a security issue which may be why Cingular has had the phones
    >set up purposely to not allow this user preprogramming on the "1" key.
    >Also, in our area, Cingular is now assigning a new phone number exclusively
    >for vm access through one-touch dialing of the "1" key. However, it does
    >not seem to stop you from dialing you primary cell phone number to get
    >through to voice mail, You can also preprogram your dialing string on
    >another one-touch key, 2-9, and this process is even outlined in the 6340i
    >manual. Still, it's rather inconvenient as the phone menus want you to use
    >the "1" key for vm access.
    >
    >
    >"Ivor Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > I have 2 new 6340i phones. I am unable to code a 'w' (to force a wait)
    >> > in the one touch dialing string for key 1. This is the voice mailbox
    >> > dialing number.
    >> > It works fine for one touch keys 2-7.
    >> > And the string worked fine on my Nokia 3360's.
    >> >
    >> > Nokia "help desk" says to send them in for repair!
    >> >
    >> > Anyone have insight on this problem?
    >> > JB
    >> >

    >>
    >> Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you need to put a wait command
    >> into the voicemail number..?
    >>
    >> Ivor
    >>
    >>

    >






  5. #5
    Mark A. Smith
    Guest

    Re: 6340i 1 or one touch dialing problem - no 'w' accepted in string

    I use 2-3 p's myself added to the end of my pilot (voicemail) number, then
    put the #, then the PIN. It works very well!

    As in +1XXXXXXXXXXppp#XXXX.



    Have a good one,

    Mark A. Smith


    "kf4qzj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news[email protected]
    > Why go through the trouble. The number that is loaded into the 1 key
    > will work anywhere you go since it is a dedicated number directly to
    > voice mail. Unlike the TDMA that used a "speed dial" like *99 that
    > only works in your local market. For TDMA customers that roam a bunch,
    > I would program their 1 key with a pause that you get by pressing the
    > * key about 3 time for the "p" Pause.
    > And yes, when you are in your local market, simply dialing yourself
    > will direct you to VM, where the caller ID recognizes you and give you
    > your messages.
    >
    > If you are worried about security of just anyone getting your VM, the
    > answer is simple, DONT let your phone out of your hand. If you do,
    > program a PIN lock or a call restriction.
    >
    > Guess he does not want his wife to here the VM from his girlfriend.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 22:30:15 GMT, "Bill Lavernoich"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I've noticed the same problem with my family's 6340i phones. The reason,
    > >Ivor, is so you can preprogram your password to be dialed by hitting the
    > >send key without having to punch in a half-dozen or so numbers and/or
    > >characters. It allows you to accurately and quickly access voice mail
    > >without having to try to remember another password and then punch it in

    the
    > >short time after the vm greeting starts.
    > >
    > >Yeh, there is a security issue which may be why Cingular has had the

    phones
    > >set up purposely to not allow this user preprogramming on the "1" key.
    > >Also, in our area, Cingular is now assigning a new phone number

    exclusively
    > >for vm access through one-touch dialing of the "1" key. However, it does
    > >not seem to stop you from dialing you primary cell phone number to get
    > >through to voice mail, You can also preprogram your dialing string on
    > >another one-touch key, 2-9, and this process is even outlined in the

    6340i
    > >manual. Still, it's rather inconvenient as the phone menus want you to

    use
    > >the "1" key for vm access.
    > >
    > >
    > >"Ivor Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]
    > >>
    > >> "JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]
    > >> > I have 2 new 6340i phones. I am unable to code a 'w' (to force a

    wait)
    > >> > in the one touch dialing string for key 1. This is the voice mailbox
    > >> > dialing number.
    > >> > It works fine for one touch keys 2-7.
    > >> > And the string worked fine on my Nokia 3360's.
    > >> >
    > >> > Nokia "help desk" says to send them in for repair!
    > >> >
    > >> > Anyone have insight on this problem?
    > >> > JB
    > >> >
    > >>
    > >> Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you need to put a wait command
    > >> into the voicemail number..?
    > >>
    > >> Ivor
    > >>
    > >>

    > >

    >
    >






  6. #6

    Re: Re: 6340i 1 or one touch dialing problem - no 'w' accepted in string

    I also miss the w command. Used it forever in my 3360 and 5165. I
    thought it was a problem with my 6340 but my 3650 is the same way.



  7. #7
    Joseph
    Guest

    Re: 6340i 1 or one touch dialing problem - no 'w' accepted in string

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 01:20:08 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >I also miss the w command. Used it forever in my 3360 and 5165. I
    >thought it was a problem with my 6340 but my 3650 is the same way.


    Are you trying to use a w in a listing in your phone book? If you are
    the w can only be used with internal phone memory. You cannot use a w
    character with SIM memory. You can use a P with SIM memory but not a
    w.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Replies are seldom read. Please reply in the group



  8. #8
    John Blevins
    Guest

    Re: 6340i 1 or one touch dialing problem - no 'w' accepted in string

    Thanks for the idea. I don't think that's the problem. I'm trying to
    record my voice mailbox number under the Messages menu (menu 01-9-2 on the
    6340), and I've got SIM set to not display.
    And I see that the previous respondent apparently has the same problem.

    I tried reporting this to Nokia Tech Support, and they said to send both my
    new phones in for service! Ha!
    I guess I can take them back to Cingular and exchange for a different phone
    first! I'm still in my 15 day window.

    Maybe a new firmware download in future will fix it (if Nokia will ever
    admit there's a problem..)
    -end-.



    "Joseph" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 01:20:08 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > >I also miss the w command. Used it forever in my 3360 and 5165. I
    > >thought it was a problem with my 6340 but my 3650 is the same way.

    >
    > Are you trying to use a w in a listing in your phone book? If you are
    > the w can only be used with internal phone memory. You cannot use a w
    > character with SIM memory. You can use a P with SIM memory but not a
    > w.
    >
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > Replies are seldom read. Please reply in the group






  9. #9

    Re: Re: 6340i 1 or one touch dialing problem - no 'w' accepted in string

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 21:41:51 -0700, Joseph <[email protected]>
    said:

    >On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 01:20:08 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>I also miss the w command. Used it forever in my 3360 and 5165. I
    >>thought it was a problem with my 6340 but my 3650 is the same way.

    >
    >Are you trying to use a w in a listing in your phone book? If you are
    >the w can only be used with internal phone memory. You cannot use a w
    >character with SIM memory. You can use a P with SIM memory but not a
    >w.
    >
    >- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -



    I am talking about when you press the button that gives you the P for
    Pausing the dialing string, press it one more time for the W command,
    which Waits to send the rest of the DTMF until you press the Send
    button again.

    MUCH better than the Pause because the Pause time is fixed, whereas
    the Wait time is variable, depending on when you tell it to finish
    sending tones.



  10. #10
    Joseph
    Guest

    Re: 6340i 1 or one touch dialing problem - no 'w' accepted in string

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 03:15:57 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >I am talking about when you press the button that gives you the P for
    >Pausing the dialing string, press it one more time for the W command,
    >which Waits to send the rest of the DTMF until you press the Send
    >button again.
    >
    >MUCH better than the Pause because the Pause time is fixed, whereas
    >the Wait time is variable, depending on when you tell it to finish
    >sending tones.


    I know exactly what you're talking about. What I was saying is that
    if you intend to save an entry to your phone book you cannot use the w
    character if you intend to save it to the SIM. If you intend to save
    an entry with a w character you can save it to the phone if you use
    the phone's memory. In short SIM=no w character Memobry=w character
    allowed.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Replies are seldom read. Please reply in the group



  11. #11

    Re: Re: 6340i 1 or one touch dialing problem - no 'w' accepted in string

    ok but how do you get a w string to save in the voicemail number?

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:38:58 -0700, Joseph <[email protected]>
    said:

    >I know exactly what you're talking about. What I was saying is that
    >if you intend to save an entry to your phone book you cannot use the w
    >character if you intend to save it to the SIM. If you intend to save
    >an entry with a w character you can save it to the phone if you use
    >the phone's memory. In short SIM=no w character Memobry=w character
    >allowed.
    >
    >- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >Replies are seldom read. Please reply in the group





  • Similar Threads