Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    C Miller
    Guest
    When we first signed up for a cell with Sprint, the # is local to my home
    i.e. if family members call from my home to my cell it will be considered as
    a local # even if I am travelling thousands of miles away in another state.

    Question : With the # portability, and you move to another town . Town B
    being a long distance number if you call from your original home Town A but
    both still have the same area code.
    Now what happens if you call your cell from your new home. It would be a
    long distance call? Any way the cell company can overcome that?





    See More: Cell # , moving to another area and being a local #




  2. #2
    Robert M.
    Guest

    Re: Cell # , moving to another area and being a local #

    In article <PzL3c.15321$%[email protected]>,
    "C Miller" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > When we first signed up for a cell with Sprint, the # is local to my home
    > i.e. if family members call from my home to my cell it will be considered as
    > a local # even if I am travelling thousands of miles away in another state.
    >
    > Question : With the # portability, and you move to another town . Town B
    > being a long distance number if you call from your original home Town A but
    > both still have the same area code.
    > Now what happens if you call your cell from your new home. It would be a
    > long distance call? Any way the cell company can overcome that?


    Eventually they will ask you to take a new number.



  3. #3
    Scott Stephenson
    Guest

    Re: Cell # , moving to another area and being a local #


    "C Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:PzL3c.15321$%[email protected]
    > When we first signed up for a cell with Sprint, the # is local to my home
    > i.e. if family members call from my home to my cell it will be considered

    as
    > a local # even if I am travelling thousands of miles away in another

    state.
    >
    > Question : With the # portability, and you move to another town . Town B
    > being a long distance number if you call from your original home Town A

    but
    > both still have the same area code.
    > Now what happens if you call your cell from your new home. It would be a
    > long distance call? Any way the cell company can overcome that?
    >
    >


    The "L" in WLNP stands for 'local'. You can't move a number out of its
    local cost center.





  4. #4
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Cell # , moving to another area and being a local #

    Robert M. wrote:

    > In article <PzL3c.15321$%[email protected]>,
    > "C Miller" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>When we first signed up for a cell with Sprint, the # is local to my home
    >>i.e. if family members call from my home to my cell it will be considered as
    >>a local # even if I am travelling thousands of miles away in another state.
    >>
    >>Question : With the # portability, and you move to another town . Town B
    >>being a long distance number if you call from your original home Town A but
    >>both still have the same area code.
    >>Now what happens if you call your cell from your new home. It would be a
    >>long distance call? Any way the cell company can overcome that?

    >
    >
    > Eventually they will ask you to take a new number.


    To be clear, if you move your CSA, (the address your service is based
    upon) you will have to take a new number. If you simply change your
    billing address, you will not need to take a new number.
    -mike



  5. #5
    O/Siris
    Guest

    Re: Cell # , moving to another area and being a local #

    In article <[email protected]>,=20
    [email protected] says...
    > Eventually they will ask you to take a new number.
    >=20
    >=20


    No, Sprint PCS will *never* demand a customer change their number. =20
    In fact, when you sign up with service, you can select any area code=20
    you wish (assuming we have available numbers in that area code).

    There's one exception, though. An NPA split. When the FCC, or local=20
    utilities board (whomever actually decides on area code boundaries,=20
    issues a new area code, then we have no choice but to change your=20
    area code.

    Getting back to the original question, allow me, please, to respond=20
    with a scenario. Maybe it'll answer what you're asking.

    Say you sign up and have a number in L.A. Then, some years later,=20
    you move to Sheboygan. You may, if you choose, swap your "CSA", as=20
    someone else has mentioned, to Sheboygan and take on a local area=20
    code. Then calls from within the Sheboygan system are local, but now=20
    all your buddies still in L.A. are paying for LD to talk to you.

    Or, you can keep the L.A. number, and your buddies don't pay LD, but=20
    anyone wanting to talk to you on that cell phone who is in Sheboygan=20
    will pay LD rates for it.

    Does that answer your question?

    --=20
    R=D8=DF
    O/Siris
    I work for Sprint PCS
    I *don't* speak for them



  6. #6
    Donna Becker
    Guest

    Re: Cell # , moving to another area and being a local #

    <Now what happens if you call your cell from your new home. It would be a
    > long distance call? Any way the cell company can overcome that?>

    I don't know if you have to change your number but since you will have free
    long distance and caller ID you can always have your friends and relatives
    avoid long distance charges by hanging up before you answer - then you can
    just call them back from your missed calls information. DonnaB





  7. #7
    TechGeek
    Guest

    Re: Cell # , moving to another area and being a local #

    Mike <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Robert M. wrote:


    > > Eventually they will ask you to take a new number.

    >
    > To be clear, if you move your CSA, (the address your service is based
    > upon) you will have to take a new number. If you simply change your
    > billing address, you will not need to take a new number.
    > -mike


    I have to completely disagree, I moved 2 years ago and my wife and I
    still have or numbers form our previous location, and it wasn't just a
    few mines, it was across the country.

    (She has a lot of friends there, and I just didn't feel like changing
    my number)

    I have seen many customers come into my stores and ask if they can
    keep their old number since they just moved here, and we always say
    that they can if they want to.

    If you move, you do not have to change your number.



  8. #8
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Cell # , moving to another area and being a local #

    TechGeek wrote:
    > Mike <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Robert M. wrote:

    >
    >
    >
    >>>Eventually they will ask you to take a new number.

    >>
    >>To be clear, if you move your CSA, (the address your service is based
    >>upon) you will have to take a new number. If you simply change your
    >>billing address, you will not need to take a new number.
    >>-mike

    >
    >
    > I have to completely disagree, I moved 2 years ago and my wife and I
    > still have or numbers form our previous location, and it wasn't just a
    > few mines, it was across the country.
    >
    > (She has a lot of friends there, and I just didn't feel like changing
    > my number)
    >
    > I have seen many customers come into my stores and ask if they can
    > keep their old number since they just moved here, and we always say
    > that they can if they want to.
    >
    > If you move, you do not have to change your number.


    I don't know that you're completely disagreeing. I currently have a
    phone number in a completely different area from where I live and
    receieve my bill. I also sell phones to a niche market that requires me
    often to set a different CSA than billing address.

    The CSA is linked to a physical address and is used to determine the
    service market and the phone number.

    The billing address may be any US address and is simply what is printed
    on the bill when it's put in the mail.

    Let's say that you move from Shreveport, LA to Forrest City, AR. You can
    keep your Shreveport number, also keeping your CSA. Your billing address
    would change. Implications of not moving your CSA? Few, that I can think
    of. If you have a Free and Clear America option on your account, you'll
    be paying $10 and getting a fixed number of minutes, like everyone in
    Shreveport, unlike your new neighbors that pay $5 a month for roam with
    no fixed limit. If you and your hypothetical new Forrest City, AR
    neighbor are both on regional plans, you'll be paying "traveling fees"
    for your minute useage because your market includes only Louisiana and
    Texas "in region."

    If you disagree with that, then you are disagreeing with me, and I'd
    like to know more.

    No sarcasm, I'd like to know more.

    -mike



  9. #9
    TechGeek
    Guest

    Re: Cell # , moving to another area and being a local #

    Mike <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<9Hk4c.16809$%[email protected]>...
    > TechGeek wrote:
    >
    > Let's say that you move from Shreveport, LA to Forrest City, AR. You can
    > keep your Shreveport number, also keeping your CSA. Your billing address
    > would change. Implications of not moving your CSA? Few, that I can think
    > of. If you have a Free and Clear America option on your account, you'll
    > be paying $10 and getting a fixed number of minutes, like everyone in
    > Shreveport, unlike your new neighbors that pay $5 a month for roam with
    > no fixed limit. If you and your hypothetical new Forrest City, AR
    > neighbor are both on regional plans, you'll be paying "traveling fees"
    > for your minute useage because your market includes only Louisiana and
    > Texas "in region."
    >
    > If you disagree with that, then you are disagreeing with me, and I'd
    > like to know more.
    >
    > No sarcasm, I'd like to know more.
    >
    > -mike



    I was disagreeing with the people saying you have to change your
    number, and it looks like you're right.

    The only time you *should* change your number when you move is when
    you have an area wide plan and you move outside of your area (Unless
    you get out of that plan). (But again, you don't have too, but you'll
    end up paying a lot of travelling fees).



  10. #10
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Cell # , moving to another area and being a local #

    TechGeek wrote:

    >
    > I was disagreeing with the people saying you have to change your
    > number, and it looks like you're right.
    >
    > The only time you *should* change your number when you move is when
    > you have an area wide plan and you move outside of your area (Unless
    > you get out of that plan). (But again, you don't have too, but you'll
    > end up paying a lot of travelling fees).


    Okay. Cool.
    -mike



  • Similar Threads