Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1
    Donkey Agony
    Guest

    http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html


    --
    da
    ~~
    "OE Quotefix" http://flash.to/oe-quotefix
    to fix Outlook Express' broken quoting.





    See More: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO




  2. #2
    O/Siris
    Guest

    Re: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected][127.0.0.1]=20
    says...
    >=20
    > http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html
    >=20
    >=20
    >=20


    Interesting. 4 months old, but interesting. And I'll believe it=20
    when it's rolled out fully. It's easy to say you're doing it. it's=20
    another to actually do it.

    --=20
    R=D8=DF
    O/Siris
    I work for Sprint PCS
    I *don't* speak for them



  3. #3
    Robert M.
    Guest

    Re: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Donkey Agony" <[email protected][127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    > http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html


    April 8, 2004 is old news?

    Says they expect to complete end of 2005.



  4. #4

    Re: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 01:20:55 -0400, "Donkey Agony" <[email protected][127.0.0.1]>
    wrote:

    >http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html


    Rolling out EV-DO is an interesting and risky venture for multiple
    reasons.

    Part of the carrier's spectrum is dedicated to data only with EV-DO.
    This implies that, even under "emergency loads", which the FCC is
    encouraging carriers to handle, that EV-DO spectrum is "untouchable"
    for voice.

    The carriers using EV-DO hope that that data-only spectrum will be
    well utilized. That remains to be seen and is another risk.

    One would think that Verizon Wireless would, eventually, like to
    migrate their especially heavy peak-load voice areas to EV-DV for the
    gains in voice capacity. Since EV-DV is also data capable,
    simultaneously, in the same spectrum, does EV-DO have a long term
    future for carriers that don't have entirely separate frequency ranges
    for it?

    Only time will tell.



  5. #5
    Robert M.
    Guest

    Re: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > This implies that, even under "emergency loads", which the FCC is
    > encouraging carriers to handle, that EV-DO spectrum is "untouchable"
    > for voice.


    Speaking of "risky", how can you guess at predictions based on an
    unknown implication??? Won't carriers also being going to VoIP
    on these high speed networks?



  6. #6
    Steven J Sobol
    Guest

    Re: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO

    Robert M. <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Donkey Agony" <[email protected][127.0.0.1]> wrote:
    >
    >> http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html

    >
    > April 8, 2004 is old news?


    Verizon's been *testing* EVDO in DC and San Diego for *months.*
    This is not news.

    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / [email protected]
    Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
    "someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out and buy
    slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows 98/2000/2003



  7. #7

    Re: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:37:33 GMT, "Robert M." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> This implies that, even under "emergency loads", which the FCC is
    >> encouraging carriers to handle, that EV-DO spectrum is "untouchable"
    >> for voice.

    >
    >Speaking of "risky", how can you guess at predictions based on an
    >unknown implication??? Won't carriers also being going to VoIP
    >on these high speed networks?


    Why would a carrier "push" the much higher bit rate of VoIP on your
    their wireless data network when they have an optimized solution
    already on their wireless voice network?



  8. #8
    Robert M.
    Guest

    Re: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Why would a carrier "push" the much higher bit rate of VoIP on your
    > their wireless data network when they have an optimized solution
    > already on their wireless voice network?


    one word answer

    Capacity



  9. #9
    Donkey Agony
    Guest

    Re: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO

    Steven J Sobol wrote:

    >>> http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html

    >>
    >> April 8, 2004 is old news?

    >
    > Verizon's been *testing* EVDO in DC and San Diego for *months.*
    > This is not news.


    The news isn't Verizon doing EV-DO. The news is Walt Mossberg writing
    an article about it in the WSJ. That column is read by millions. It
    bothered me a tad that didn't mention Sprint or EV-DV, but what do you
    expect? EV-DV is for all practical purposes vaporware right now. If
    you want *fast* data speeds anywhere in major cities in the next year
    and a half, you have one choice (technical considerations of DO vs. DV
    notwithstanding).

    Nevertheless (as Microsoft has shown), selling vaporware *can* work...

    And Sprint could start *marketing* (instead of FUDding) cheap
    Vision-phone-laptop connections...


    --
    da
    ~~
    "OE Quotefix" http://flash.to/oe-quotefix
    to fix Outlook Express' broken quoting.





  10. #10
    Steven J Sobol
    Guest

    Re: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO

    Donkey Agony <[email protected][127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    > The news isn't Verizon doing EV-DO. The news is Walt Mossberg writing
    > an article about it in the WSJ. That column is read by millions. It
    > bothered me a tad that didn't mention Sprint or EV-DV, but what do you
    > expect? EV-DV is for all practical purposes vaporware right now.


    Both Sprint and Verizon will be migrating to EV-DV, and you can expect
    a flurry of press releases when that happens.

    > If
    > you want *fast* data speeds anywhere in major cities in the next year
    > and a half, you have one choice (technical considerations of DO vs. DV
    > notwithstanding).


    *nod*

    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / [email protected]
    Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
    "someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out and buy
    slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows 98/2000/2003



  11. #11
    Bob Smith
    Guest

    Re: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO


    "Steven J Sobol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Donkey Agony <[email protected][127.0.0.1]> wrote:
    >
    > > The news isn't Verizon doing EV-DO. The news is Walt Mossberg writing
    > > an article about it in the WSJ. That column is read by millions. It
    > > bothered me a tad that didn't mention Sprint or EV-DV, but what do you
    > > expect? EV-DV is for all practical purposes vaporware right now.

    >
    > Both Sprint and Verizon will be migrating to EV-DV, and you can expect
    > a flurry of press releases when that happens.
    >
    > > If
    > > you want *fast* data speeds anywhere in major cities in the next year
    > > and a half, you have one choice (technical considerations of DO vs. DV
    > > notwithstanding).

    >
    > *nod*


    True, but I'm in agreement with SPCS's direction in waiting to just go
    directly to DV nationwide, save that I'd like to see a quicker time table
    than 1st qtr 2006.

    Bob





  12. #12
    John R. Copeland
    Guest

    Re: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO


    "Steven J Sobol" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
    news:[email protected]
    >=20
    > Both Sprint and Verizon will be migrating to EV-DV, and you can expect
    > a flurry of press releases when that happens.
    >=20
    > --=20
    > Steven J. Sobol


    I always try to say that Verizon is migrating to EV-DV,
    but Sprint is *leapfrogging* to EV-DV.
    ---JRC---




  13. #13
    Andrew Shepherd
    Guest

    Re: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO

    [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 01:20:55 -0400, "Donkey Agony" <[email protected][127.0.0.1]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html

    >
    > Rolling out EV-DO is an interesting and risky venture for multiple
    > reasons.
    >
    > Part of the carrier's spectrum is dedicated to data only with EV-DO.
    > This implies that, even under "emergency loads", which the FCC is
    > encouraging carriers to handle, that EV-DO spectrum is "untouchable"
    > for voice.
    >
    > The carriers using EV-DO hope that that data-only spectrum will be
    > well utilized. That remains to be seen and is another risk.


    Currently, VZW's trial deployments in D.C. & San Diego are both
    CDMA1xEV-DO 1900. Undoubtedly, D.C. & San Diego were selected as test
    markets due to two factors: VZW holds a PCS D or PCS E 10 MHz license
    overlapping its Cellular B-side license in each market, and D.C.'s BAM
    Lucent infrastructure versus San Diego's AirTouch Nortel
    infrastructure allows VZW to test both vendor's EV-DO solutions. The
    more important conclusion, however, is that VZW has currently
    relegated EV-DO to PCS spectrum that was of little if any consequence
    to its voice or 1xRTT data capacity. However, VZW does not possess
    coincident PCS licenses in all of its major Cellular markets (no
    supplementary PCS spectrum in Charlotte, Denver, Detroit,
    Indianapolis, Phoenix, Portland, St. Louis, San Francisco, Seattle, et
    al.) Thus, particularly in those markets, voice/1xRTT capacity could
    potentially suffer if existing CDMA carrier channels are subsequently
    devoted to EV-DO.

    If you are interested to know in which markets VZW does hold PCS
    spectrum, the maps that XFF & I have created are well-documented:

    http://people.ku.edu/~cinema/wireless/vzw_pcs.html
    http://people.ku.edu/~cinema/wireles...pcs_block.html

    > One would think that Verizon Wireless would, eventually, like to
    > migrate their especially heavy peak-load voice areas to EV-DV for the
    > gains in voice capacity. Since EV-DV is also data capable,
    > simultaneously, in the same spectrum, does EV-DO have a long term
    > future for carriers that don't have entirely separate frequency ranges
    > for it?
    >
    > Only time will tell.




  14. #14
    O/Siris
    Guest

    Re: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO

    In article <[email protected]>,=20
    [email protected] says...
    > April 8, 2004 is old news?
    >=20
    >=20


    The news did *not* come out April 8th, Phillie, and I'm certain you=20
    already knew that. Verizon announced it would be doing this at the=20
    end of last year.

    When WSJ chose to print it has nothing to do with how old the actual=20
    story is.

    --=20
    R=D8=DF
    O/Siris
    I work for Sprint PCS
    I *don't* speak for them



  15. #15
    O/Siris
    Guest

    Re: Verizon leaping ahead with EV-DO

    In article <[email protected]>,=20
    [email protected] says...
    > Why would a carrier "push" the much higher bit rate of VoIP on your
    > their wireless data network when they have an optimized solution
    > already on their wireless voice network?
    >=20


    You *do* remember, don't you, that PTT and Ready Link are both IP=20
    voice services?

    --=20
    R=D8=DF
    O/Siris
    I work for Sprint PCS
    I *don't* speak for them



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast