Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Eric
    Guest
    I was wondering ... with all of these new Vision and Ready Link phones
    coming out... how many (if any) of you still use phones that came out
    pre-2001? Anyone still use the older Nokias or Kyoceras? And how is
    their performance holding up?

    Eric




    See More: Anyone use old Sprint phones?




  2. #2

    Re: Anyone use old Sprint phones?

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:30:11 -0500, [email protected] (Eric) wrote:

    >I was wondering ... with all of these new Vision and Ready Link phones
    >coming out... how many (if any) of you still use phones that came out
    >pre-2001? Anyone still use the older Nokias or Kyoceras? And how is
    >their performance holding up?
    >


    Still have 20 of the dual-band, tri-mode Kyocera SPH-i300 PalmPhones in
    service. Good phones, could have greater sensitivity. Batteries losing
    longevity, but lots of them available when I search with froogle, at prices
    much better than Sprint's. Since the battery takes five seconds to change,
    and we bought spares going in, this is a non-problem.

    This 2G data-capable phone is eBaying for $100 and less.


    --
    John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
    This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.
    Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.



  3. #3
    Robert M.
    Guest

    Re: Anyone use old Sprint phones?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Still have 20 of the dual-band, tri-mode Kyocera SPH-i300 PalmPhones in
    > service. Good phones, could have greater sensitivity. Batteries losing
    > longevity, but lots of them available when I search with froogle, at prices
    > much better than Sprint's. Since the battery takes five seconds to change,
    > and we bought spares going in, this is a non-problem.
    >
    > This 2G data-capable phone is eBaying for $100 and less.


    Except its a Samsung Phone.



  4. #4
    Steph
    Guest

    Re: Anyone use old Sprint phones?

    [email protected] (Eric) wrote in news:[email protected]
    3238.bay.webtv.net:

    > I was wondering ... with all of these new Vision and Ready Link phones
    > coming out... how many (if any) of you still use phones that came out
    > pre-2001? Anyone still use the older Nokias or Kyoceras? And how is
    > their performance holding up?
    >
    > Eric
    >



    I still use my Sprint [Denso] Dual-Band TouchPoint (also known as the dbTP
    or the model 120). Works great, still reasonable battery life in digital
    mode. I think that year of manufacture was ~1999.

    I also have my Kyocera 6035 is perfect condition in a box, I powered it up
    the other day to keep the PRL up to date and after 4 months storage the
    battery was still at 50% (obviously in the box the battery is not attached
    to the Palm unit which would have depleted it over time).




  5. #5

    Re: Anyone use old Sprint phones?

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> Still have 20 of the dual-band, tri-mode
    >> Kyocera
    >> SPH-i300 PalmPhones in
    >> service. Good phones, could have greater sensitivity. Batteries losing
    >> longevity, but lots of them available when I search with froogle, at prices
    >> much better than Sprint's. Since the battery takes five seconds to change,
    >> and we bought spares going in, this is a non-problem.
    >>
    >> This 2G data-capable phone is eBaying for $100 and less.


    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:25:55 GMT, "Robert M." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Except its a Samsung Phone.



    Absolutely right! Thank you for catching my blooper.

    More info on the i300 at
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/i300


    --
    John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
    This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.
    Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.



  6. #6
    skyliner
    Guest

    Re: Anyone use old Sprint phones?


    Although I don't remember exactly when I got it, I'm still using a Samsung
    SCH-3500. Still works, but have to jiggle the flip hinge sometimes to get
    the earpiece to work, and the battery is good for about a day at most.

    I'm on the newsgroup at the moment because I'm actively shopping for a new
    phone, looking for reviews.

    Don't even ask about what kind of rate plan I'm still on either. It
    originated before there was anything called "Nights and Weekends." But on
    the other hand, Sprint doesn't have anything with this low a monthly cost
    anymore.

    -Eric




    "Eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I was wondering ... with all of these new Vision and Ready Link phones
    > coming out... how many (if any) of you still use phones that came out
    > pre-2001? Anyone still use the older Nokias or Kyoceras? And how is
    > their performance holding up?
    >







  7. #7
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Anyone use old Sprint phones?

    skyliner wrote:

    > Although I don't remember exactly when I got it, I'm still using a Samsung
    > SCH-3500. Still works, but have to jiggle the flip hinge sometimes to get
    > the earpiece to work, and the battery is good for about a day at most.
    >
    > I'm on the newsgroup at the moment because I'm actively shopping for a new
    > phone, looking for reviews.
    >
    > Don't even ask about what kind of rate plan I'm still on either. It
    > originated before there was anything called "Nights and Weekends." But on
    > the other hand, Sprint doesn't have anything with this low a monthly cost
    > anymore.
    >
    > -Eric


    There was that sweet $15 plan...

    Try Sprintusers.com. They have a nice reviews section.

    Closest current handset to what you own would probably be a VI600.
    Candybar phone with a browser. If you don't need internet, the 3588i has
    a good track record with great RF performance. Samsung may be releasing
    a new handset with their signature flip/candybar hybrid style, adding
    much needed screen protection.
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=363
    Also look at the SCP-4900 from Sanyo. They can still be had in many
    Sprint stores for a fairly reasonable price.




  8. #8
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Anyone use old Sprint phones?

    Eric wrote:

    > I was wondering ... with all of these new Vision and Ready Link phones
    > coming out... how many (if any) of you still use phones that came out
    > pre-2001? Anyone still use the older Nokias or Kyoceras? And how is
    > their performance holding up?
    >
    > Eric
    >


    Displeased with my VGA 1000, I nearly went back for my Z-Phone. I took a
    drive through a challenging area with both phones. While the Z-Phone
    has a PRL 119 or something (not in front of me) I was disappointed to
    find my VGA 1000's RF performance was so vastly better that I couldn't
    justify going back to the old Sony. Add to that my fear of messing up my
    SMS grandfathered Vision code, and I'll not be activating the thing. I
    miss the great sound that phone had. Very well positioned mic.
    -mike




  9. #9
    skyliner
    Guest

    Re: Anyone use old Sprint phones?


    Hey, thanks for the info, that site is just what I was looking for.

    Now that Sanyo 8200 is looking kind of tempting...but for some reason the
    local Sprint Store doesn't carry it and "probably will not for quite some
    time," according to the salesperson. Something about it's not a corporate
    store, or something... Oh well, I guess its back to shopping on the 'net.

    -Eric


    >
    > Try Sprintusers.com. They have a nice reviews section.
    >
    > Closest current handset to what you own would probably be a VI600.
    > Candybar phone with a browser. If you don't need internet, the 3588i has
    > a good track record with great RF performance. Samsung may be releasing
    > a new handset with their signature flip/candybar hybrid style, adding
    > much needed screen protection.
    > http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=363
    > Also look at the SCP-4900 from Sanyo. They can still be had in many
    > Sprint stores for a fairly reasonable price.
    >






  10. #10
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Anyone use old Sprint phones?

    skyliner wrote:
    > Hey, thanks for the info, that site is just what I was looking for.
    >
    > Now that Sanyo 8200 is looking kind of tempting...but for some reason the
    > local Sprint Store doesn't carry it and "probably will not for quite some
    > time," according to the salesperson. Something about it's not a corporate
    > store, or something... Oh well, I guess its back to shopping on the 'net.
    >
    > -Eric


    I like my 8200. Check back often. This is going to be a high-volume
    phone for sprint, just like the 8100 was in its time. Most stores are
    giving liberal estimates so they don't get harassed, well, by people
    like you. They'll probably have it sooner than they estimate.

    You could also just call Telesales and order it over the phone. They
    ship rather quickly.
    -mike




  11. #11
    Robert M.
    Guest

    Re: Anyone use old Sprint phones?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Mike <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You could also just call Telesales and order it over the phone. They
    > ship rather quickly.


    Telesales is one of the bright-spots of SprintPCS. They are supposed to
    check whether a phone is in stock in the warehouse before selling it,
    and its not uncommon to then receive it on the next business day with
    Free Shipping, although your account will be instantly charged for the
    phone plus tax.

    Accessories are another story, they'll charge you instantly for an
    accessory and then (espcially with a new model phone) it'll be
    back-ordered, and canceling the order and getting credited back is a
    nitemare. On occasion they may "forget" to credit back the sales tax.



  12. #12
    Robert M.
    Guest

    Re: Anyone use old Sprint phones?

    In article <[email protected]_s01>,
    "skyliner" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > Hey, thanks for the info, that site is just what I was looking for.
    >
    > Now that Sanyo 8200 is looking kind of tempting...but for some reason the
    > local Sprint Store doesn't carry it and "probably will not for quite some
    > time," according to the salesperson. Something about it's not a corporate
    > store, or something... Oh well, I guess its back to shopping on the 'net.
    >
    > -Eric


    Or maybe he's trying to steer you to buy something he his in the store.



  13. #13
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Anyone use old Sprint phones?

    Robert M. wrote:


    > Telesales is one of the bright-spots of SprintPCS. They are supposed to
    > check whether a phone is in stock in the warehouse before selling it,
    > and its not uncommon to then receive it on the next business day with
    > Free Shipping, although your account will be instantly charged for the
    > phone plus tax.
    >
    > Accessories are another story, they'll charge you instantly for an
    > accessory and then (espcially with a new model phone) it'll be
    > back-ordered, and canceling the order and getting credited back is a
    > nitemare. On occasion they may "forget" to credit back the sales tax.


    You know, funny thing that. I've had my 8200 about nine days. That means
    it's been about eleven days since I placed the order. I still show a
    credit balance on my account.
    Here's to hoping it stays that way!

    -mike




  14. #14
    Robert M.
    Guest

    Re: Anyone use old Sprint phones?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Mike <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Robert M. wrote:
    >
    >
    > > Telesales is one of the bright-spots of SprintPCS. They are supposed to
    > > check whether a phone is in stock in the warehouse before selling it,
    > > and its not uncommon to then receive it on the next business day with
    > > Free Shipping, although your account will be instantly charged for the
    > > phone plus tax.
    > >
    > > Accessories are another story, they'll charge you instantly for an
    > > accessory and then (espcially with a new model phone) it'll be
    > > back-ordered, and canceling the order and getting credited back is a
    > > nitemare. On occasion they may "forget" to credit back the sales tax.

    >
    > You know, funny thing that. I've had my 8200 about nine days. That means
    > it's been about eleven days since I placed the order. I still show a
    > credit balance on my account.
    > Here's to hoping it stays that way!


    Good luck. There are known issues with Convergys billing system.



  • Similar Threads