Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    RÝbert M.
    Guest
    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Eric) wrote:

    > (Bob*Smith) wrote:
    > <<Also, that SPCS will probably re-open the Horizon stores, which were
    > closed a few months ago. Further details can be read @
    > http://tinyurl.com/29zam
    > Bob>>
    >
    > Hopefully, Sprint and Horizon can work something out for the Northern
    > Indiana/Gary market. I don't see a noticeable difference in coverage
    > quality, but they shut down the local Sprint store in my area and the
    > other one is about 30 minutes away. Plus, Sprint has no real
    > representation here except for Radio Shack.


    From my reading SprintPCS is buying the money losing West Virginia
    market, and Horizon is keeping the "good" stuff.



    See More: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...




  2. #2
    Bob Smith
    Guest

    Re: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...


    "RÝbert M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Eric) wrote:
    >
    > > (Bob Smith) wrote:
    > > <<Also, that SPCS will probably re-open the Horizon stores, which were
    > > closed a few months ago. Further details can be read @
    > > http://tinyurl.com/29zam
    > > Bob>>
    > >
    > > Hopefully, Sprint and Horizon can work something out for the Northern
    > > Indiana/Gary market. I don't see a noticeable difference in coverage
    > > quality, but they shut down the local Sprint store in my area and the
    > > other one is about 30 minutes away. Plus, Sprint has no real
    > > representation here except for Radio Shack.

    >
    > From my reading SprintPCS is buying the money losing West Virginia
    > market, and Horizon is keeping the "good" stuff.


    Oh? And just how do you read that? Why would you say that Western Virginia
    and West Virginia are money losers?

    Bob





  3. #3
    Steven J Sobol
    Guest

    Re: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...

    Bob Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Oh? And just how do you read that? Why would you say that Western Virginia
    > and West Virginia are money losers?


    He'd tell you, but Sprint forced him to sign an NDA.

    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / [email protected]
    Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
    "someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out and buy
    slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows 98/2000/2003



  4. #4
    Jared Geiger
    Guest

    Re: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...


    "Steven J Sobol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bob Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Oh? And just how do you read that? Why would you say that Western

    Virginia
    > > and West Virginia are money losers?

    >
    > He'd tell you, but Sprint forced him to sign an NDA.
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP:

    0xE3AE35ED
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /

    [email protected]
    > Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
    > "someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out

    and buy
    > slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows

    98/2000/2003

    I live in southern WV and go to school in Blacksburg, VA. I used to work for
    Radio Shack and of course sold Sprint. Part of the reason this market is
    probably losing money is because of Sprint's lack of tough credit
    evaluations when setting up new users. We'd run a credit check on a customer
    on Verizon, they'd come back with a $1000 deposit required, we'd run then
    for Sprint and it would say they were authorized for 4 lines of service no
    deposit. The risk with these people is that they tend to either not pay
    their bill, or perpetually pay them late. Granted I can't say everyone that
    uses Sprint here is like that, but many people wait till the last minute to
    pay bills.

    Horizon has done a decent job with providing good coverage. I rarely get a
    dropped call and I can hold a data call from Princeton to Beckley without a
    hiccup. The Roanoke, VA area is also densely covered. I rarely have a
    dropped call... knock on wood. I am glad that SPCS is taking the market
    though, F&CA is a great addon that never was worth it until now that the
    possibilty of 50% is here. Thank goodness.

    Finally, Sprint, just don't mess with the current CSRs in the stores, they
    are very nice people. I would hate to see them go.

    Jared





  5. #5
    Bob Smith
    Guest

    Re: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...


    "Jared Geiger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > I live in southern WV and go to school in Blacksburg, VA. I used to work

    for
    > Radio Shack and of course sold Sprint. Part of the reason this market is
    > probably losing money is because of Sprint's lack of tough credit
    > evaluations when setting up new users. We'd run a credit check on a

    customer
    > on Verizon, they'd come back with a $1000 deposit required, we'd run then
    > for Sprint and it would say they were authorized for 4 lines of service no
    > deposit. The risk with these people is that they tend to either not pay
    > their bill, or perpetually pay them late. Granted I can't say everyone

    that
    > uses Sprint here is like that, but many people wait till the last minute

    to
    > pay bills.
    >
    > Horizon has done a decent job with providing good coverage. I rarely get a
    > dropped call and I can hold a data call from Princeton to Beckley without

    a
    > hiccup. The Roanoke, VA area is also densely covered. I rarely have a
    > dropped call... knock on wood. I am glad that SPCS is taking the market
    > though, F&CA is a great addon that never was worth it until now that the
    > possibilty of 50% is here. Thank goodness.
    >
    > Finally, Sprint, just don't mess with the current CSRs in the stores, they
    > are very nice people. I would hate to see them go.


    I'm a bit confused here Jared. I was under the impression that Horizon had
    closed all their local cell stores. What current local CSRs are there now?

    Also, when did you stop working for Radio Shack? I'm asking only because
    SPCS started tightening down on the creditworthiness of their customers back
    in September ...

    Bob

    Bob





  6. #6
    Jared Geiger
    Guest

    Re: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...


    > I'm a bit confused here Jared. I was under the impression that Horizon had
    > closed all their local cell stores. What current local CSRs are there now?
    >
    > Also, when did you stop working for Radio Shack? I'm asking only because
    > SPCS started tightening down on the creditworthiness of their customers

    back
    > in September ...
    >
    > Bob



    Horizon closed most of their stores, but left a few open. The store in
    Roanoke, VA is still open and I believe the store in Lynchburg, VA is open.
    I also think the store in Charleston, WV is still open. However the
    Christiansburg, VA and Beckley, WV stores closed.

    Yes I did quit working for Radio Shack in August to go back to school. I'm
    glad to see that SPCS started making it harder to get service through them.

    Jared





  7. #7
    Bob Smith
    Guest

    Re: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...


    "Jared Geiger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > > I'm a bit confused here Jared. I was under the impression that Horizon

    had
    > > closed all their local cell stores. What current local CSRs are there

    now?
    > >
    > > Also, when did you stop working for Radio Shack? I'm asking only

    because
    > > SPCS started tightening down on the creditworthiness of their customers

    > back
    > > in September ...
    > >
    > > Bob

    >
    >
    > Horizon closed most of their stores, but left a few open. The store in
    > Roanoke, VA is still open and I believe the store in Lynchburg, VA is

    open.
    > I also think the store in Charleston, WV is still open. However the
    > Christiansburg, VA and Beckley, WV stores closed.


    According to SPCS's site, Charleston does not have a pcs handset service
    center, nor is there one with 50 miles. Same thing goes for Roanoke. In
    addition, someone from the Roanoke area posted a few weeks to a month ago,
    that the store on Valley View was closed, even though it's still listed on
    SPCS's site as open.

    >
    > Yes I did quit working for Radio Shack in August to go back to school. I'm
    > glad to see that SPCS started making it harder to get service through

    them.

    So do I ...

    Bob





  8. #8
    Jared Geiger
    Guest

    Re: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...


    "Bob Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > "Jared Geiger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > > I'm a bit confused here Jared. I was under the impression that Horizon

    > had
    > > > closed all their local cell stores. What current local CSRs are there

    > now?
    > > >
    > > > Also, when did you stop working for Radio Shack? I'm asking only

    > because
    > > > SPCS started tightening down on the creditworthiness of their

    customers
    > > back
    > > > in September ...
    > > >
    > > > Bob

    > >
    > >
    > > Horizon closed most of their stores, but left a few open. The store in
    > > Roanoke, VA is still open and I believe the store in Lynchburg, VA is

    > open.
    > > I also think the store in Charleston, WV is still open. However the
    > > Christiansburg, VA and Beckley, WV stores closed.

    >
    > According to SPCS's site, Charleston does not have a pcs handset service
    > center, nor is there one with 50 miles. Same thing goes for Roanoke. In
    > addition, someone from the Roanoke area posted a few weeks to a month ago,
    > that the store on Valley View was closed, even though it's still listed on
    > SPCS's site as open.
    >
    > >
    > > Yes I did quit working for Radio Shack in August to go back to school.

    I'm
    > > glad to see that SPCS started making it harder to get service through

    > them.
    >
    > So do I ...
    >
    > Bob
    >
    >



    I can assure you that the Roanoke store is open. They are closed on
    Wednesdays and Saturdays.

    Jared





  9. #9
    John Smith
    Guest

    Re: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...

    as is the beckley wv store. the Ntelos market that horizon leased was sold
    to sprint
    "Jared Geiger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > "Bob Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Jared Geiger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > >
    > > > > I'm a bit confused here Jared. I was under the impression that

    Horizon
    > > had
    > > > > closed all their local cell stores. What current local CSRs are

    there
    > > now?
    > > > >
    > > > > Also, when did you stop working for Radio Shack? I'm asking only

    > > because
    > > > > SPCS started tightening down on the creditworthiness of their

    > customers
    > > > back
    > > > > in September ...
    > > > >
    > > > > Bob
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Horizon closed most of their stores, but left a few open. The store in
    > > > Roanoke, VA is still open and I believe the store in Lynchburg, VA is

    > > open.
    > > > I also think the store in Charleston, WV is still open. However the
    > > > Christiansburg, VA and Beckley, WV stores closed.

    > >
    > > According to SPCS's site, Charleston does not have a pcs handset service
    > > center, nor is there one with 50 miles. Same thing goes for Roanoke. In
    > > addition, someone from the Roanoke area posted a few weeks to a month

    ago,
    > > that the store on Valley View was closed, even though it's still listed

    on
    > > SPCS's site as open.
    > >
    > > >
    > > > Yes I did quit working for Radio Shack in August to go back to school.

    > I'm
    > > > glad to see that SPCS started making it harder to get service through

    > > them.
    > >
    > > So do I ...
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >
    > >

    >
    >
    > I can assure you that the Roanoke store is open. They are closed on
    > Wednesdays and Saturdays.
    >
    > Jared
    >
    >






  10. #10
    Steven J Sobol
    Guest

    Re: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...

    John Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    > as is the beckley wv store. the Ntelos market that horizon leased was sold
    > to sprint


    NTelos is a completely separate carrier - or was. Are they still in business?

    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / [email protected]
    Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
    "someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out and buy
    slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows 98/2000/2003



  11. #11
    Nebby00007
    Guest

    Re: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...

    > Oh? And just how do you read that? Why would
    > you say that Western Virginia
    > and West Virginia are money losers?


    Because I read the story about how Horizon sued SprintPCS and was having money
    troubles and the settlement was for Sprint to buy West Virginia area from them.

    It's right there in B;lack and WHITE:


    "These two Agreements represent a critical step forward for Horizon PCS," said
    Bill McKell, president and CEO. "The asset sale will significantly improve the
    company's financial status, and allow us to focus on more profitable
    territories within our portfolio. The settlement of the litigation will enable
    us to refocus our attention on value creation for our investors."





  12. #12
    Bob Smith
    Guest

    Re: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...


    "Nebby00007" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > Oh? And just how do you read that? Why would
    > > you say that Western Virginia
    > > and West Virginia are money losers?

    >
    > Because I read the story about how Horizon sued SprintPCS and was having

    money
    > troubles and the settlement was for Sprint to buy West Virginia area from

    them.
    >
    > It's right there in B;lack and WHITE:
    >
    >
    > "These two Agreements represent a critical step forward for Horizon PCS,"

    said
    > Bill McKell, president and CEO. "The asset sale will significantly improve

    the
    > company's financial status, and allow us to focus on more profitable
    > territories within our portfolio. The settlement of the litigation will

    enable
    > us to refocus our attention on value creation for our investors."
    >

    You can't equate that WV was the reason that the whole company of Horizon
    PCS was losing money. Nowhere does it say that it was a coverage area losing
    money. Horizon sold off that coverage area as part of the negotiations and
    to get some cash.

    Bob





  13. #13
    Jared Geiger
    Guest

    Re: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...


    "Steven J Sobol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > John Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > as is the beckley wv store. the Ntelos market that horizon leased was

    sold
    > > to sprint

    >
    > NTelos is a completely separate carrier - or was. Are they still in

    business?
    >


    NTelos is very much still in business. They've quit offering the huge
    variety of plans they used to though. I think they are still using the
    Horizon/SPCS towers too. Ntelos has a web page and multiple stores around
    the area still. www.ntelos.com





  14. #14
    John S.
    Guest

    Re: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...

    > the Ntelos market that horizon leased was sold
    >> to sprint

    >
    >NTelos is a completely separate carrier - or was. Are they still in business?


    uhhhhmmmmmm - it was sold to Sprint! My guess is that Sprint didn't buy it to
    shut it off.

    --
    John S.
    e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net



  15. #15
    Bob Smith
    Guest

    Re: News - Horizon PCS and Sprint Agree to Asset Purchase and Sett...


    "John S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > the Ntelos market that horizon leased was sold
    > >> to sprint

    > >
    > >NTelos is a completely separate carrier - or was. Are they still in

    business?
    >
    > uhhhhmmmmmm - it was sold to Sprint! My guess is that Sprint didn't buy

    it to
    > shut it off.


    Sprint bought Ntelos? I couldn't find a thing mentioning that. Do you have a
    link?

    Bob





  • Similar Threads




  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast