Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Ray
    Guest
    In the past few days, I have received several calls from an 877 area
    code number, but when I try to answer, it has already hung up.

    I called the number back once and it turned out to be Sprint PCS
    themselves telemarketing -- pushing additional lines and phones. I
    asked them to take me off the list.

    The next day, I got another call and this time, a woman with a heavy
    accent was on the line, pushing the same products. I was very assertive
    with her and told her to take me off the list and never call again.

    First of all, isn't it illegal to telemarket cell phone subscribers?
    Also, my number is on the don't call list. Also, these junk calls are
    using up my minutes.

    How do we stop this?



    See More: Sprint telemarketing




  2. #2
    Scott Stephenson
    Guest

    Re: Sprint telemarketing


    "Ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s54...
    > In the past few days, I have received several calls from an 877 area
    > code number, but when I try to answer, it has already hung up.
    >
    > I called the number back once and it turned out to be Sprint PCS
    > themselves telemarketing -- pushing additional lines and phones. I
    > asked them to take me off the list.
    >
    > The next day, I got another call and this time, a woman with a heavy
    > accent was on the line, pushing the same products. I was very assertive
    > with her and told her to take me off the list and never call again.
    >
    > First of all, isn't it illegal to telemarket cell phone subscribers?


    Not if the company calling is the one providing the cellular service.

    > Also, my number is on the don't call list.


    So? They have a business relationship with you- they are exempt from DNC.

    >Also, these junk calls are
    > using up my minutes.


    Good point.

    >
    > How do we stop this?


    If you specifically asked them to remove you from their internal call list,
    they must do so. However, it might be unrealistic to expect to come off in
    a matter of hours or minutes- I'm pretty sure that the two people you've
    talked to don't sit next to each other in the office.





  3. #3
    Steve Sobol
    Guest

    Re: Sprint telemarketing

    Scott Stephenson wrote:

    > So? They have a business relationship with you- they are exempt from DNC.


    I only know for sure that it's illegal to make prerecorded calls to a device
    where the user is paying for airtime. Not sure about human calls.


    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / [email protected]
    PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.



  4. #4
    Central
    Guest

    Re: Sprint telemarketing

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:40:09 -0800, Steve Sobol wrote:

    > Scott Stephenson wrote:
    >
    >> So? They have a business relationship with you- they are exempt from DNC.

    >
    > I only know for sure that it's illegal to make prerecorded calls to a device
    > where the user is paying for airtime. Not sure about human calls.


    But how sure are you about the recent, last few years, regulation that put
    exceptions in for businesses you have a working/established relationship
    with? For example to allow sprintpcs to send you an automated phone
    call about a bill or technical issue.



  5. #5
    Steve Sobol
    Guest

    Re: Sprint telemarketing

    Central wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:40:09 -0800, Steve Sobol wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Scott Stephenson wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>So? They have a business relationship with you- they are exempt from DNC.

    >>
    >>I only know for sure that it's illegal to make prerecorded calls to a device
    >>where the user is paying for airtime. Not sure about human calls.

    >
    >
    > But how sure are you about the recent, last few years, regulation that put
    > exceptions in for businesses you have a working/established relationship
    > with?


    I'm not. There is a mailing list for prerecorded phone calls, though:

    http://www.do-not-call.com/prerecord-l.htm

    You will probably find more useful information there...

    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / [email protected]
    PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.



  6. #6
    Robert Eden
    Guest

    Re: Sprint telemarketing

    When I got the call, the person started off by saying that this is SprintPCS
    and you are not being charged airtime for the call.

    Robert





  7. #7
    Isaiah Beard
    Guest

    Re: Sprint telemarketing

    Steve Sobol wrote:

    > I only know for sure that it's illegal to make prerecorded calls to a
    > device where the user is paying for airtime. Not sure about human calls.


    Further, I would certainly hope that Sprint PCS would have the
    wherewithal to at least make sure that telemarketing calls from the same
    company were airtime-free. If not, I'd definitely advocate MAKING it
    free through a dropped call credit... considering I would gladly "drop"
    a telemarketing call.


    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.




  • Similar Threads