Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    John/Charleston
    Guest
    I've cancelled my home phone and rely entirely on my cell now. One
    problem I've found is that I can easliy misplace the cell within my
    house and of course I don't have a home phone to call it and make it
    ring.
    I can't use text messaging because I've had Sprint disconnect the text
    msg feature to my phone as I don't use it and I kept getting
    unsolicited text sales pitches that would interrupt me thruout the
    day.
    Is there any other way of getting my phone to beep or ring when Ive
    misplaced it? I'm looking into the computer generated phone calls
    (like net2phone) but I'm not so sure they can call a cell phone...

    Thanks,
    John



    See More: Call my phone from my computer?




  2. #2
    GPrestonian
    Guest

    Re: Call my phone from my computer?

    I send an email to mine, but I guess that won't work for you since you
    had them turn off text messaging.....




  3. #3
    Pete S
    Guest

    Re: Call my phone from my computer?

    I don't know if this will work for you since you've disconnected text
    messaging -- I never used text messaging and never got any spam but never
    took any affirmative step to have it disabled.

    When I mislplce my phone I go to the sprint website and at the login page I
    tell them that I forgot my password. This sends a message to my phone (the
    only one I ever got) with my password --- and causes the phone to beep.


    "John/Charleston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've cancelled my home phone and rely entirely on my cell now. One
    > problem I've found is that I can easliy misplace the cell within my
    > house and of course I don't have a home phone to call it and make it
    > ring.
    > I can't use text messaging because I've had Sprint disconnect the text
    > msg feature to my phone as I don't use it and I kept getting
    > unsolicited text sales pitches that would interrupt me thruout the
    > day.
    > Is there any other way of getting my phone to beep or ring when Ive
    > misplaced it? I'm looking into the computer generated phone calls
    > (like net2phone) but I'm not so sure they can call a cell phone...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John






  4. #4
    Bob Smith
    Guest

    Re: Call my phone from my computer?


    "John/Charleston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've cancelled my home phone and rely entirely on my cell now. One
    > problem I've found is that I can easliy misplace the cell within my
    > house and of course I don't have a home phone to call it and make it
    > ring.
    > I can't use text messaging because I've had Sprint disconnect the text
    > msg feature to my phone as I don't use it and I kept getting
    > unsolicited text sales pitches that would interrupt me thruout the
    > day.
    > Is there any other way of getting my phone to beep or ring when Ive
    > misplaced it? I'm looking into the computer generated phone calls
    > (like net2phone) but I'm not so sure they can call a cell phone...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John


    I have a suggestion. Don't put your phone down anywhere. Take the few
    seconds it takes, to put it down by your charger.

    Bob





  5. #5
    John/Charleston
    Guest

    Re: Call my phone from my computer?

    On 7 Apr 2005 12:36:09 -0700, "GPrestonian" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I send an email to mine, but I guess that won't work for you since you
    >had them turn off text messaging.....


    I actually had them re-activate text msging but if I start getting the
    "telemarketer" messages again I'll kill it.




  6. #6
    John/Charleston
    Guest

    Re: Call my phone from my computer?

    Wow, great tip! That worked but since I had txt messaging re-instated
    today I'm not sure it will work if I dont' have txt messaging active.
    I'll see. If the txt msg service is a pain again I'll cut it off and
    then find out if it works still. For now I'm good, Thanks!

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:08:44 -0700, "Pete S" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't know if this will work for you since you've disconnected text
    >messaging -- I never used text messaging and never got any spam but never
    >took any affirmative step to have it disabled.
    >
    >When I mislplce my phone I go to the sprint website and at the login page I
    >tell them that I forgot my password. This sends a message to my phone (the
    >only one I ever got) with my password --- and causes the phone to beep.
    >
    >
    >"John/Charleston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> I've cancelled my home phone and rely entirely on my cell now. One
    >> problem I've found is that I can easliy misplace the cell within my
    >> house and of course I don't have a home phone to call it and make it
    >> ring.
    >> I can't use text messaging because I've had Sprint disconnect the text
    >> msg feature to my phone as I don't use it and I kept getting
    >> unsolicited text sales pitches that would interrupt me thruout the
    >> day.
    >> Is there any other way of getting my phone to beep or ring when Ive
    >> misplaced it? I'm looking into the computer generated phone calls
    >> (like net2phone) but I'm not so sure they can call a cell phone...
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> John

    >





  7. #7
    John/Charleston
    Guest

    Re: Call my phone from my computer?

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:41:12 GMT, "Bob Smith"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"John/Charleston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> I've cancelled my home phone and rely entirely on my cell now. One
    >> problem I've found is that I can easliy misplace the cell within my
    >> house and of course I don't have a home phone to call it and make it
    >> ring.
    >> I can't use text messaging because I've had Sprint disconnect the text
    >> msg feature to my phone as I don't use it and I kept getting
    >> unsolicited text sales pitches that would interrupt me thruout the
    >> day.
    >> Is there any other way of getting my phone to beep or ring when Ive
    >> misplaced it? I'm looking into the computer generated phone calls
    >> (like net2phone) but I'm not so sure they can call a cell phone...
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> John

    >
    >I have a suggestion. Don't put your phone down anywhere. Take the few
    >seconds it takes, to put it down by your charger.
    >
    >Bob


    Oh that would never work for me...This phone ends up everywhere and
    anywhere. The last one got run thru the washer...
    >





  8. #8
    Frank Harris
    Guest

    Re: Call my phone from my computer?

    If you subscribe to one of those web-based fax services, you could send
    a fax to your phone as if it were a landline-connected fax machine.
    That'll make it ring. See if you can set the service to not retry,
    since the fax will never be 'received' and you don't want the service to
    keep trying every 3 minutes.

    There was a big discussion of such fax services in the alt.cellular
    newsgroup Mar 21-24, 2005. Use Google Groups to read it.

    --
    Frank Harris in San Francisco with an A680



  9. #9
    Jerome Zelinske
    Guest

    Re: Call my phone from my computer?

    It is my understanding that Text Messaging and Email are two different
    animals.



  10. #10
    John/Charleston
    Guest

    Re: Call my phone from my computer?

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 04:44:43 GMT, Frank Harris
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If you subscribe to one of those web-based fax services, you could send
    >a fax to your phone as if it were a landline-connected fax machine.
    >That'll make it ring. See if you can set the service to not retry,
    >since the fax will never be 'received' and you don't want the service to
    >keep trying every 3 minutes.
    >
    >There was a big discussion of such fax services in the alt.cellular
    >newsgroup Mar 21-24, 2005. Use Google Groups to read it.


    Bottom line is I subscribed to Net2Phone. Had to send them $25 but
    that much should last forever. I just have to make one paid phone
    call every 90 days to keep my acct active. The best part is that
    they offer fax service too. That's the one thing I was missing
    without a home line. They charge 10c per page but I fax so
    infrequently that it will end up much less than any service that
    charges a monthly fee.
    Now I can call my phone if I lose it and fax when I need to. Yea!

    Thanks for all help,
    John



  • Similar Threads