Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53
  1. #1
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Guest
    Sven Golly <[email protected]> wrote:
    > My local contact requested a.c.t-m again and it looks like we have ignition
    > on RoadRunner!!!
    >
    > Wooohoooo!!!
    >


    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1




    See More: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile




  2. #2
    John Navas
    Guest

    Re: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <[email protected]> on Fri, 19 May 2006 08:09:40 -0500,
    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sven Golly <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> My local contact requested a.c.t-m again and it looks like we have ignition
    >> on RoadRunner!!!
    >>
    >> Wooohoooo!!!


    Please stop posting this here -- it has no relevance to this newsgroup.
    Thanks.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

    "Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
    difficult to redirect, awe inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
    boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." --Gene Spafford



  3. #3
    Bob Smith
    Guest

    Re: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile


    "John Navas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <[email protected]> on Fri, 19 May 2006
    > 08:09:40 -0500,
    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Sven Golly <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> My local contact requested a.c.t-m again and it looks like we have
    >>> ignition
    >>> on RoadRunner!!!
    >>>
    >>> Wooohoooo!!!

    >
    > Please stop posting this here -- it has no relevance to this newsgroup.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>


    It has the same amount of relevance as posting all those Cingular
    infomercials you post in all those cross posted threads.

    Bob





  4. #4
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Guest

    Re: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile

    In alt.cellular.t-mobile John Navas <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Please stop posting this here -- it has no relevance to this newsgroup.
    > Thanks.
    >


    For one, it was an accident ... if you notice, I added no text to the body of
    the message. And second, you are a grumpy bastard, aren't you.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1




  5. #5
    George
    Guest

    Re: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile

    John Navas wrote:
    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <[email protected]> on Fri, 19 May 2006 08:09:40 -0500,
    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Sven Golly <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My local contact requested a.c.t-m again and it looks like we have ignition
    >>>on RoadRunner!!!
    >>>
    >>>Wooohoooo!!!

    >
    >
    > Please stop posting this here -- it has no relevance to this newsgroup.
    > Thanks.
    >


    Before you complain about other people learn how to use your newreader
    when replying because you posted the above to these groups:


    alt.cellular.t-mobile alt.cellular.cingular alt.cellular.verizon
    alt.cellular.sprintpcs



  6. #6
    John Navas
    Guest

    Re: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <[email protected]> on Fri, 19 May 2006
    12:43:25 -0500, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In alt.cellular.t-mobile John Navas <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Please stop posting this here -- it has no relevance to this newsgroup.
    >> Thanks.

    >
    >For one, it was an accident ... if you notice, I added no text to the body of
    >the message. And second, you are a grumpy bastard, aren't you.


    If you take the time and effort to get to know me, you'll find that I'm
    actually a pretty nice guy, and polite to boot. How about responding in kind,
    and showing some restraint, instead of being so often unpleasant?

    I note that AT&T Worldnet has now added alt.cellular.t-mobile --
    congratulations.

    OTOH:

    * The bulk of T-Mobile traffic is still being carried by
    alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream, as I had predicted --
    alt.cellular.t-mobile is mostly just some cross-posts from other newsgroups.

    * alt.cellular.t-mobile is still not carried by Google, which is important, so
    you might want to try contacting Google directly.

    In the future, I suggest the following newsgroups for threads like this:
    alt.cellular
    alt.cellular.gsm
    alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream
    and separately* to
    alt.cellular.t-mobile

    * Many news servers are configured to delete posts to groups they don't carry,
    so it's best to post to a new group separately, instead of cross-posting,
    until it becomes well-established. [cross-posting to alt.cellular.t-mobile
    deleted for that reason]

    --
    Best regards, SEE THE FAQ FOR CINGULAR WIRELESS AT
    John Navas <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless_FAQ>



  7. #7
    Tinman
    Guest

    Re: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile

    John Navas wrote:
    <snipped it all>

    Please stop posting this here -- it has no relevance to this newsgroup.
    Thanks.


    --
    Mike





  8. #8
    Andy S
    Guest

    Re: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile

    >> Sven Golly <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> My local contact requested a.c.t-m again and it looks like we have
    >> ignition
    >> on RoadRunner!!!
    >>
    >> Wooohoooo!!!
    >>

    >

    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > --
    > Thomas T. Veldhouse
    > Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
    >

    If it is on RR, then why do I NOT have it?


    --
    Andrew D. Sisson
    LG VX8100 VZW AC II SINCE APRIL 1993
    SAMSUNG X497 CINGULAR NATION SINCE MARCH 2006





  9. #9
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Guest

    Re: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile

    In alt.cellular.sprintpcs John Navas <[email protected]> wrote:
    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > OTOH:
    >
    > * The bulk of T-Mobile traffic is still being carried by
    > alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream, as I had predicted --
    > alt.cellular.t-mobile is mostly just some cross-posts from other newsgroups.
    >


    Bulk ... I think the number of posts to both are nearly equal already ... and
    they are not nearly all cross-posts.

    As far as your predictions go, you must be edging to claim "victory" as it is
    just now becoming a globally proppagated group ... so it is only to be
    expected that it will take a little time yet for people to become aware of it
    .... and as another person mentioned, it still isn't showing on Google (for
    those that prefer to post or search in that manner).

    > * alt.cellular.t-mobile is still not carried by Google, which is important, so
    > you might want to try contacting Google directly.
    >


    I don't use it that way, so I am not going to be pushing it. That is up to
    those that prefer it ... it will happen one way or the other.

    > In the future, I suggest the following newsgroups for threads like this:
    > alt.cellular
    > alt.cellular.gsm
    > alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream
    > and separately* to
    > alt.cellular.t-mobile
    >


    I didn't start it ...

    > * Many news servers are configured to delete posts to groups they don't carry,
    > so it's best to post to a new group separately, instead of cross-posting,
    > until it becomes well-established. [cross-posting to alt.cellular.t-mobile
    > deleted for that reason]
    >


    That is an erroneous configuration and I have never seen it implemented
    anywhere. I have seen policies where posts are deleted for *excessive*
    cross-posting or posting across heirachies, but not for groups that don't
    exist (that would be pretty crazy if you ask me).

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1




  10. #10
    SMS
    Guest

    Re: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

    > Bulk ... I think the number of posts to both are nearly equal already ... and
    > they are not nearly all cross-posts.


    This is true. And this is without Google Groups yet. Once Google Groups
    picks it up, the numbers will change dramatically.

    > As far as your predictions go, you must be edging to claim "victory" as it is
    > just now becoming a globally proppagated group .


    It's still very strange as to why Navas is so upset about
    alt.cellular.t-mobile. Clearly alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream is
    ridiculous, there has not been a carrier named Voicestream for several
    years, and the group name was unwieldy even when it did exist.

    I think that Navas may be worrying about what happens to
    alt.cellular.cingular when AT&T changes the name to AT&T Wireless. This
    will result in the now-dormant alt.cellular.attws coming back as an
    active group, with alt.cellular.cingular gradually becoming dormant. But
    to resort to lying about the numbers of posts in order to support his
    position is very weird.



  11. #11
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Guest

    Re: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile

    In alt.cellular.sprintpcs SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > I think that Navas may be worrying about what happens to
    > alt.cellular.cingular when AT&T changes the name to AT&T Wireless. This
    > will result in the now-dormant alt.cellular.attws coming back as an
    > active group, with alt.cellular.cingular gradually becoming dormant. But
    > to resort to lying about the numbers of posts in order to support his
    > position is very weird.


    No offense to JN intended, but it does seem you may be correct. He will no
    longer claim to have initiated the group and thus, I think his posting of the
    charter might have to cease ...

    Actually, is there a significant charter for alt.cellular.attws?

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1




  12. #12
    SMS
    Guest

    Re: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

    > No offense to JN intended, but it does seem you may be correct. He will no
    > longer claim to have initiated the group and thus, I think his posting of the
    > charter might have to cease ...


    It's the only theory that makes any sense at all. Why would anyone be
    upset about a new Usenet group for a carrier that they don't use, that's
    now the fourth largest in the U.S., and where most of its users have no
    idea what Voicestream was. Voicestream never even had service on the
    west coast, and their Usenet group is hidden down two levels in the
    alt.cellular hierarchy. Even Alltel has a Usenet group for g-ds sake.

    Clearly Navas doesn't want a precedent set where Usenet cellular groups
    change when the carrier name changes. I expect that he'll soon propose a
    new Usenet group, alt.cellular.attwireless, to replace
    alt.cellular.cingular, to try to avoid a migration over to
    alt.cellular.attws.



  13. #13
    John Navas
    Guest

    Re: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <[email protected]> on Mon, 22 May 2006 10:43:11
    -0700, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    >
    >> No offense to JN intended, but it does seem you may be correct. He will no
    >> longer claim to have initiated the group and thus, I think his posting of the
    >> charter might have to cease ...

    >
    >It's the only theory that makes any sense at all. Why would anyone be
    >upset about a new Usenet group for a carrier that they don't use, that's
    >now the fourth largest in the U.S., and where most of its users have no
    >idea what Voicestream was. Voicestream never even had service on the
    >west coast, and their Usenet group is hidden down two levels in the
    >alt.cellular hierarchy. Even Alltel has a Usenet group for g-ds sake.
    >
    >Clearly Navas doesn't want a precedent set where Usenet cellular groups
    >change when the carrier name changes. I expect that he'll soon propose a
    >new Usenet group, alt.cellular.attwireless, to replace
    >alt.cellular.cingular, to try to avoid a migration over to
    >alt.cellular.attws.


    Total nonsense (as usual). I have no position on alt.cellular.t-mobile

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://NavasGroup.com/>



  14. #14
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Guest

    Re: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile

    In alt.cellular.sprintpcs John Navas <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Total nonsense (as usual). I have no position on alt.cellular.t-mobile
    >


    With all due respect, we had this discussion before, and the general
    interpretation of your comments is that you fealt it was confusing and
    redundant and that you did not support it.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1




  15. #15
    John Navas
    Guest

    Re: RR adds alt.cellular.t-mobile

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <[email protected]> on Mon, 22 May 2006
    15:12:28 -0500, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In alt.cellular.sprintpcs John Navas <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Total nonsense (as usual). I have no position on alt.cellular.t-mobile

    >
    >With all due respect, we had this discussion before, and the general
    >interpretation of your comments is that you fealt it was confusing and
    >redundant and that you did not support it.


    With all due respect, there's no such "general interpretation" -- those are
    just the feelings of those few with axes to grind.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://NavasGroup.com/>



  • Similar Threads




  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast