Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 63
  1. #16
    John Horner
    Guest

    Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    Personally I think that when you make a usenet posting you should assume
    that you have put that content into the equivalent of the public domain.

    John



    See More: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist




  2. #17
    John Navas
    Guest

    Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:06:17 GMT, John Horner <[email protected]> wrote
    in <[email protected]>:

    >Personally I think that when you make a usenet posting you should assume
    >that you have put that content into the equivalent of the public domain.


    Legally that's not true.
    #3 of "Myths About Copyright Explained"
    <http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html>

    --
    Best regards, FAQ FOR CINGULAR WIRELESS:
    John Navas <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless_FAQ>



  3. #18
    Notan
    Guest

    Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    John Navas wrote:
    >
    > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:06:17 GMT, John Horner <[email protected]> wrote
    > in <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >Personally I think that when you make a usenet posting you should assume
    > >that you have put that content into the equivalent of the public domain.

    >
    > Legally that's not true.
    > #3 of "Myths About Copyright Explained"
    > <http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html>


    First, your link didn't work (no response).

    Second, if it isn't true, did you first check with John Horner before
    reposting his copyrighted response? <g>

    Notan



  4. #19
    SMS
    Guest

    Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    John Horner wrote:
    > Personally I think that when you make a usenet posting you should assume
    > that you have put that content into the equivalent of the public domain.
    >
    > John


    Practically speaking, that's the case. Almost no one would have the
    resources to get their postings removed from all the servers that they
    end up on, and on all the forums they are reposted in.

    I see postings of mine from the early 1990's still floating around in
    many forums, and I don't mean just on deja.com (Google Groups).



  5. #20
    St. John Smythe
    Guest

    Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    Notan wrote:
    > John Navas wrote:
    >> Legally that's not true.

    >
    > First, your link didn't work (no response).
    >
    > Second, if it isn't true, did you first check with John Horner before
    > reposting his copyrighted response? <g>


    Third, there are things in life that are worth getting excited about,
    and this doesn't really seem to be one of them.

    --
    St. John
    This generation doesn't have emotional baggage. We have emotional
    moving vans.
    -Bruce Feirstein



  6. #21
    Notan
    Guest

    Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    "St. John Smythe" wrote:
    >
    > Notan wrote:
    > > John Navas wrote:
    > >> Legally that's not true.

    > >
    > > First, your link didn't work (no response).
    > >
    > > Second, if it isn't true, did you first check with John Horner before
    > > reposting his copyrighted response? <g>

    >
    > Third, there are things in life that are worth getting excited about,
    > and this doesn't really seem to be one of them.


    Who's getting excited?

    Just having a friendly conversation...

    Notan



  7. #22
    St. John Smythe
    Guest

    Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    Notan wrote:
    > Who's getting excited?


    Wasn't thinking you were (don't get excited.

    --
    St. John
    Elbonics, n.:
    The actions of two people maneuvering for one armrest in a movie
    theatre.
    -"Sniglets", Rich Hall & Friends



  8. #23
    Notan
    Guest

    Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    "St. John Smythe" wrote:
    >
    > Notan wrote:
    > > Who's getting excited?

    >
    > Wasn't thinking you were (don't get excited.


    Who's getting excited? <g>

    Notan



  9. #24
    John Navas
    Guest

    Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:39:57 -0600, Notan
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    <[email protected]>:

    >John Navas wrote:
    >>
    >> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:06:17 GMT, John Horner <[email protected]> wrote
    >> in <[email protected]>:
    >>
    >> >Personally I think that when you make a usenet posting you should assume
    >> >that you have put that content into the equivalent of the public domain.

    >>
    >> Legally that's not true.
    >> #3 of "Myths About Copyright Explained"
    >> <http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html>

    >
    >First, your link didn't work (no response).


    Easily found with a simple Google search:
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Myths+About+Copyright+Explained%22>
    First link, cached version
    Or the second link
    etc.

    >Second, if it isn't true, did you first check with John Horner before
    >reposting his copyrighted response? <g>


    Fair Use exception.

    --
    Best regards, FAQ FOR CINGULAR WIRELESS:
    John Navas <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless_FAQ>



  10. #25
    John Navas
    Guest

    Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:46:52 -0700, SMS <[email protected]>
    wrote in <[email protected]>:

    >John Horner wrote:
    >> Personally I think that when you make a usenet posting you should assume
    >> that you have put that content into the equivalent of the public domain.


    >Practically speaking, that's the case. Almost no one would have the
    >resources to get their postings removed from all the servers that they
    >end up on, and on all the forums they are reposted in.
    >
    >I see postings of mine from the early 1990's still floating around in
    >many forums, and I don't mean just on deja.com (Google Groups).


    Nothing of the sort. Public domain is a term of art with special
    meaning, and posting to Usenet doesn't put something in the public
    domain, effectively or otherwise. Should you be damaged by someone
    making use of it (e.g., for commercial purposes outside of your intended
    use on Usenet), you could pursue a copyright infringement action, which
    wouldn't be possible in a real case of public domain.

    --
    Best regards, FAQ FOR CINGULAR WIRELESS:
    John Navas <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless_FAQ>



  11. #26
    Grant Edwards
    Guest

    Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    On 2006-08-30, John Navas <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:06:17 GMT, John Horner <[email protected]> wrote
    > in <[email protected]>:
    >
    >>Personally I think that when you make a usenet posting you should assume
    >>that you have put that content into the equivalent of the public domain.

    >
    > Legally that's not true.


    How is it legally not true that he thinks you should assume that?

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! After this, I'm going
    at to BURN some RUBBER!!
    visi.com



  12. #27
    John Navas
    Guest

    Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:41:28 -0000, Grant Edwards <[email protected]>
    wrote in <[email protected]>:

    >On 2006-08-30, John Navas <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:06:17 GMT, John Horner <[email protected]> wrote
    >> in <[email protected]>:
    >>
    >>>Personally I think that when you make a usenet posting you should assume
    >>>that you have put that content into the equivalent of the public domain.

    >>
    >> Legally that's not true.

    >
    >How is it legally not true that he thinks you should assume that?


    From my citation:

    Some argue that posting to Usenet implicitly grants
    permission to everybody to copy the posting within fairly
    wide bounds, and others feel that Usenet is an automatic store and
    forward network where all the thousands of copies made are
    done at the command (rather than the consent) of the
    poster. This is a matter of some debate, but even if the
    former is true (and in this writer's opinion we should all pray
    it isn't true) it simply would suggest posters are implicitly
    granting permissions "for the sort of copying one might expect
    when one posts to Usenet" ...

    --
    Best regards, FAQ FOR CINGULAR WIRELESS:
    John Navas <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless_FAQ>



  13. #28
    Notan
    Guest

    Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    John Navas wrote:
    >
    > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:41:28 -0000, Grant Edwards <[email protected]>
    > wrote in <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >On 2006-08-30, John Navas <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:06:17 GMT, John Horner <[email protected]> wrote
    > >> in <[email protected]>:
    > >>
    > >>>Personally I think that when you make a usenet posting you should assume
    > >>>that you have put that content into the equivalent of the public domain.
    > >>
    > >> Legally that's not true.

    > >
    > >How is it legally not true that he thinks you should assume that?

    >
    > From my citation:
    >
    > Some argue that posting to Usenet implicitly grants
    > permission to everybody to copy the posting within fairly
    > wide bounds, and others feel that Usenet is an automatic store and
    > forward network where all the thousands of copies made are
    > done at the command (rather than the consent) of the
    > poster. This is a matter of some debate, but even if the
    > former is true (and in this writer's opinion we should all pray
    > it isn't true) it simply would suggest posters are implicitly
    > granting permissions "for the sort of copying one might expect
    > when one posts to Usenet" ...


    Care to clarify what "from my citation" means?

    Notan



  14. #29
    John Navas
    Guest

    Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:38:40 -0600, Notan
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    <[email protected]>:

    >John Navas wrote:
    >>
    >> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:41:28 -0000, Grant Edwards <[email protected]>
    >> wrote in <[email protected]ws.com>:
    >>
    >> >On 2006-08-30, John Navas <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:06:17 GMT, John Horner <[email protected]> wrote
    >> >> in <[email protected]>:
    >> >>
    >> >>>Personally I think that when you make a usenet posting you should assume
    >> >>>that you have put that content into the equivalent of the public domain.
    >> >>
    >> >> Legally that's not true.
    >> >
    >> >How is it legally not true that he thinks you should assume that?

    >>
    >> From my citation:
    >>
    >> Some argue that posting to Usenet implicitly grants
    >> permission to everybody to copy the posting within fairly
    >> wide bounds, and others feel that Usenet is an automatic store and
    >> forward network where all the thousands of copies made are
    >> done at the command (rather than the consent) of the
    >> poster. This is a matter of some debate, but even if the
    >> former is true (and in this writer's opinion we should all pray
    >> it isn't true) it simply would suggest posters are implicitly
    >> granting permissions "for the sort of copying one might expect
    >> when one posts to Usenet" ...

    >
    >Care to clarify what "from my citation" means?


    #3 of "Myths About Copyright Explained"
    <http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html>

    --
    Best regards, FAQ FOR CINGULAR WIRELESS:
    John Navas <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless_FAQ>



  15. #30
    Agent_C
    Guest

    Re: Re: Website Leaches of my Usenet Postings...Cease and Desist

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:40:06 GMT, John Navas
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >#3 of "Myths About Copyright Explained"
    ><http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html>


    You keep on posting this non-working URL.

    A_C




  • Similar Threads




  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast