Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Tim Smith
    Guest

    Wow. Apparently Sprint is giving prominent bloggers free phones with
    free Power Vision, and free downloads, in order to get some publicity.

    Joel Spolsky's review is probably not the kind they were hoping for! :-)

    Here it is:

    <http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/09/19b.html>

    --
    --Tim Smith



    See More: "Amazing X-Ray Glasses from Sprint!"




  2. #2
    Isaiah Beard
    Guest

    Re: "Amazing X-Ray Glasses from Sprint!"

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > Joel Spolsky's review is probably not the kind they were hoping for! :-)
    >
    > Here it is:
    >
    > <http://www.somedumbblogger.com>


    While I'm no fan of Sprint, this guy is just outright petty in his
    review. Clearly he had a chip on his shoulder because he felt that
    Sprint's PR shouldn't be bossin' him around in exchange for free stuff
    (because you know, every blogger is entitled to no-strings-attached free
    stuff just because they're the Gods of the Blogosphere). And to show
    'em, he found every little nit to pick, and even made up quite a few of
    his own.


    But, yeah, this marketing program run by Sprint was definitely
    ill-conceived, as are a lot of things Sprint's doing lately.



    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.



  3. #3
    David G. Imber
    Guest

    Re: "Amazing X-Ray Glasses from Sprint!"

    On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:59:52 -0400, Isaiah Beard
    <sacr[email protected]> wrote:

    >Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Joel Spolsky's review is probably not the kind they were hoping for! :-)
    >>
    >> Here it is:
    >>
    >> <http://www.somedumbblogger.com>

    >
    >While I'm no fan of Sprint, this guy is just outright petty in his
    >review. Clearly he had a chip on his shoulder because he felt that
    >Sprint's PR shouldn't be bossin' him around in exchange for free stuff
    >(because you know, every blogger is entitled to no-strings-attached free
    >stuff just because they're the Gods of the Blogosphere). And to show
    >'em, he found every little nit to pick, and even made up quite a few of
    >his own.


    I don't know. The way I read it he makes a very legitimate
    case that the product is really awfully designed. Sure he engages in a
    little hyperbole, but that's why people read stuff. I had no trouble,
    strictly from his literal descriptions, drawing the conclusion that
    this is a simply terrible, stupid product.

    I know this is an old, old chestnut, but anyone who spends
    time in Japan gets to see all of these features done right. Gorgeous
    hardware, totally intuitive, friendly interfaces, and reasonably
    priced all-inclusive packages.

    If even half of what this guy describes is literally true, the
    Fusic is an embarrassment. I have never used it myself, so I must
    reserve summary judgement.

    In any case, the things he's writing about do not seem
    picayune to me.

    Just my op. DGI


    PS: Compare and contrast. First read the Fusic description, then check
    out KDDI's "Lismo" service:

    http://www.kddi.com/lismo/ (Japanese)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LISMO (English)


    http://www.mobilementalism.com/2006/...out-the-water/
    (English)



  4. #4
    Isaiah Beard
    Guest

    Re: "Amazing X-Ray Glasses from Sprint!"

    David G. Imber wrote:

    > I don't know. The way I read it he makes a very legitimate
    > case that the product is really awfully designed.


    I disagree. He's erring on two counts. First, he' equating the phone
    with the service. Granted, an LG phone is probably a poor choice to
    send to a reviewer, but because the phone's oeprations aren't up to
    snuff does not mean that Sprint's service as a whole sucks.

    Second, he's trying to draw unrealistic parallels between a a cell phone
    that happens to play MP3s, and an iPod, which is the pinnacle in
    portable media player design, and then proceeds to bash he phone based
    on those parallels. By that same vein, he should be bashing Apple's
    iPod because it doesn't make phone calls.


    > Sure he engages in a
    > little hyperbole, but that's why people read stuff.


    Again I disagree. A good writer/reviewer can be both compelling and
    accurate. This one was neither.



    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.



  5. #5
    David G. Imber
    Guest

    Re: "Amazing X-Ray Glasses from Sprint!"

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 20:06:36 -0400, Isaiah Beard
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >David G. Imber wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know. The way I read it he makes a very legitimate
    >> case that the product is really awfully designed.

    >
    >I disagree. He's erring on two counts. First, he' equating the phone
    >with the service. Granted, an LG phone is probably a poor choice to
    >send to a reviewer, but because the phone's oeprations aren't up to
    >snuff does not mean that Sprint's service as a whole sucks.


    I see your point on the whole, however I am assuming that
    Sprint was involved in the interface design, even if only to contract
    and approve it. In my view that puts the problems within the purview
    of the service provider. I'm sure the manufacturer fabricates (or
    contracts) interfaces for each individual provider according to their
    specifications and with their approval.


    >Second, he's trying to draw unrealistic parallels between a a cell phone
    >that happens to play MP3s, and an iPod, which is the pinnacle in
    >portable media player design, and then proceeds to bash he phone based
    >on those parallels. By that same vein, he should be bashing Apple's
    >iPod because it doesn't make phone calls.


    Here I don't agree. If Apple built telephony into iPods and
    did it poorly he might have grounds for bashing, but they don't. He's
    comparing capabilities (again, services), not only hardware. This is a
    device that promises to do several things, including what an iPod
    does. A reviewer is compelled, I think, to draw comparisons with other
    devices that do those things.


    >> Sure he engages in a
    >> little hyperbole, but that's why people read stuff.

    >
    >Again I disagree. A good writer/reviewer can be both compelling and
    >accurate.


    On this point we agree completely. I guess I was engaging in
    hyperbole myself.

    DGI




  • Similar Threads