Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mikeyhsd
    Guest
    been looking over , reading comments, checking reviews and still pondering.
    between
    Katana
    or
    MOTORAZR V3m

    leaning toward the katana because of the LARGER display.

    anyone have any MAJOR problems, grips, concerns about either.

    would appreciate sharing the info.

    the phones would be within about $20 cost for upgrading 3 phones.



    [email protected]






    See More: pondering a new phone




  2. #2
    Me !
    Guest

    Re: pondering a new phone

    "mikeyhsd" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > been looking over , reading comments, checking reviews and still
    > pondering. between
    > Katana
    > or
    > MOTORAZR V3m
    >
    > leaning toward the katana because of the LARGER display.
    >
    > anyone have any MAJOR problems, grips, concerns about either.
    >
    > would appreciate sharing the info.
    >
    > the phones would be within about $20 cost for upgrading 3 phones.
    >
    >
    >
    > [email protected]



    I have the Katana. I love the phone for what it has, and what it doesn't.
    Since I don't need music in my ears all the time, I have the Katana. I
    don't need a mega-pixel camera because I already have a 4 megapixel digital
    camera. The Katana also does *not* have Powervision capability. It's
    plain old Vision. This is fine for me because I live in an area that
    powervision doesn't cover, but the vision works great.

    The main screen is large and is very brightly lit. (when you choose to have
    it that way) You can, of course, dim it down to save your battery. One
    MAJOR advantage to the Katana is the battery life. Since it doesn't have
    MP3 capabilities or powervision, my battery will last 6 days before needing
    recharged. The colors it produces are very good and easily readable thanks
    to a higher resolution screen and a larger font size that you can choose.
    The main screen is a 240X320 pixel, BUT...finding a good wallpaper for this
    new resolution that will fill the screen can be difficult. Most of the
    JAVA games out there won't fill the screen fully, so you have to look at
    text or graphics that are too small. But give it time...higher resolution
    pics,games,apps and such are coming around.

    Overall, I give the Katana 4.5 out of 5



  3. #3
    Mellow Mike
    Guest

    Re: pondering a new phone

    Good review by "Me!" The RAZR is definitely a better phone for the
    features it has. I work at RadioShack and I have a customer switching
    from her Katana to a RAZR because of its simplicity, especially in
    trying to use a Bluetooth headset. It generally takes fewer steps to
    use the Voice Services and Bluetooth technology on the RAZR. It has 4
    times the picture quality (1.3MP vs 0.3 MP) and way more data speed in
    certain areas. I would start by getting the RAZR, then if you think you
    think you can live without it (within your 30 day trial period), trade
    it in for a Katana.

    Mellow Mike
    http://savemyphone.blogspot.com


    mikeyhsd wrote:
    > been looking over , reading comments, checking reviews and still pondering.
    > between
    > Katana
    > or
    > MOTORAZR V3m
    >
    > leaning toward the katana because of the LARGER display.
    >
    > anyone have any MAJOR problems, grips, concerns about either.
    >
    > would appreciate sharing the info.
    >
    > the phones would be within about $20 cost for upgrading 3 phones.
    >
    >
    >
    > [email protected]
    >
    >
    >





  4. #4
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: pondering a new phone

    "mikeyhsd" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > been looking over , reading comments, checking reviews and still
    > pondering. between
    > Katana
    > or
    > MOTORAZR V3m
    >
    > leaning toward the katana because of the LARGER display.
    >
    > anyone have any MAJOR problems, grips, concerns about either.
    >
    > would appreciate sharing the info.
    >
    > the phones would be within about $20 cost for upgrading 3 phones.
    >
    >


    My wife and I have had a pair of Katana phones for about three months. We
    have both been very happy with the phones. I like the size and visibility
    of the display. I like the way it sounds and operates.

    There are some things that some people do not like about the Katana but
    they are not issues for me.

    - No MP3 playback
    - Ringtones are Midi or QCP
    These are not issues for me. I do not use my phone to listen to music
    and I hate ringtones that are songs. The basic ringers are fine for me.
    I keep mine set to low and vibrate most of the time anyway.

    - Not Power Vision capable.
    Not much of an issue for me. I do not want to do multimedia on my phone.
    I do use the Gmail app and Opera Mini to surf the web quite a bit. Every
    once in a while I wish phone suported EV-DO for the faster data rate but
    that is a minor issue to me.

    Things that I really like:
    - The phone is small and thin enough to be comfortable in my procket all
    the time. I bought our phones before the V3m was available but now that
    I have seen one... I still like the design of the Katana better.
    - Even though the phone is small the screen and keypad are reasonable.
    - AMPS support: Every once in a while I find myself in areas where there
    is no Sprint or other CDMA coverage. I like that I can roam analog if I
    have to. I am on a plan where roaming is free so this is a plus for me.





  5. #5
    Hemant Shah
    Guest

    Re: pondering a new phone


    I got Katana for my wife and son for christmas. They love the phone, I have
    always liked Sanyo phones for Sprint and have always owned Sanyo until I
    bought Treo last year. I have few friends who have Razr with Sprint and
    Cingular and they told me that they do not like it, so I went with Katana.

    As others have said, this is a very good phone, but it is NOT a multimedia
    phone.


    While stranded on information super highway mikeyhsd wrote:
    > been looking over , reading comments, checking reviews and still pondering.
    > between
    > Katana
    > or
    > MOTORAZR V3m
    >
    > leaning toward the katana because of the LARGER display.
    >
    > anyone have any MAJOR problems, grips, concerns about either.
    >
    > would appreciate sharing the info.
    >
    > the phones would be within about $20 cost for upgrading 3 phones.
    >
    >
    >
    > [email protected]
    >
    >
    >


    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    E-mail: [email protected] \ / ---------------------
    X against HTML mail
    TO REPLY, REMOVE NoJunkMail / \ and postings
    FROM MY E-MAIL ADDRESS.
    -----------------[DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED BULK E-MAIL]------------------
    I haven't lost my mind, Above opinions are mine only.
    it's backed up on tape somewhere. Others can have their own.



  6. #6
    mikeyhsd
    Guest

    Re: pondering a new phone

    thanx for all the input.
    much appreciated.

    do not plan on using the data ability.
    no need for music player.
    one of the phones is for a senior senior with poor eye site and less sensitive fingers.

    so will probably go with the katana and see what happens.




    [email protected]



    "mikeyhsd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    been looking over , reading comments, checking reviews and still pondering.
    between
    Katana
    or
    MOTORAZR V3m

    leaning toward the katana because of the LARGER display.

    anyone have any MAJOR problems, grips, concerns about either.

    would appreciate sharing the info.

    the phones would be within about $20 cost for upgrading 3 phones.



    [email protected]






  7. #7
    Andy
    Guest

    Re: pondering a new phone

    of corse you would steer her towards the razor mike you work for radio shack
    and you get a free account with the provider of youer choise.
    and get paied a nice commission to sell the phones and service . the one
    reason i will never buy a phone from radio shack.
    i got a way better deal with sprint at the sprint store and saved the fees
    radio shack charges for accepting payments ect.
    radio shack is just like sears takeing branded and non branded stuff and
    selling it under the radio shack name for more than it goes for directly
    from the maker it self.
    and the katana has a BETTER battery life than the razor at 3 hours what a
    joke the razor is a nice looking phone but the key pad is a poor lay out and
    a joke.
    iam a katana man for life or untill i change to the sanyo M1 a better
    version of the katana and has more features than the razor

    --
    AL'S COMPUTERS
    "Mellow Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Good review by "Me!" The RAZR is definitely a better phone for the
    > features it has. I work at RadioShack and I have a customer switching
    > from her Katana to a RAZR because of its simplicity, especially in
    > trying to use a Bluetooth headset. It generally takes fewer steps to
    > use the Voice Services and Bluetooth technology on the RAZR. It has 4
    > times the picture quality (1.3MP vs 0.3 MP) and way more data speed in
    > certain areas. I would start by getting the RAZR, then if you think you
    > think you can live without it (within your 30 day trial period), trade
    > it in for a Katana.
    >
    > Mellow Mike
    > http://savemyphone.blogspot.com
    >
    >
    > mikeyhsd wrote:
    >> been looking over , reading comments, checking reviews and still
    >> pondering.
    >> between
    >> Katana
    >> or
    >> MOTORAZR V3m
    >>
    >> leaning toward the katana because of the LARGER display.
    >>
    >> anyone have any MAJOR problems, grips, concerns about either.
    >>
    >> would appreciate sharing the info.
    >>
    >> the phones would be within about $20 cost for upgrading 3 phones.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> [email protected]
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >






  8. #8
    Mij Adyaw
    Guest

    Re: pondering a new phone

    If you need advanced voice dialing then go for the Razr. The Katana does not
    have advanced voice dialing. I need the ability to enter several hundred
    business contacts and have each of them availalbe so that I can call them by
    pressing a button on my Bluetooth Headset and say "call name". The Sanyo
    does not have this capability.


    "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > of corse you would steer her towards the razor mike you work for radio
    > shack and you get a free account with the provider of youer choise.
    > and get paied a nice commission to sell the phones and service . the one
    > reason i will never buy a phone from radio shack.
    > i got a way better deal with sprint at the sprint store and saved the fees
    > radio shack charges for accepting payments ect.
    > radio shack is just like sears takeing branded and non branded stuff and
    > selling it under the radio shack name for more than it goes for directly
    > from the maker it self.
    > and the katana has a BETTER battery life than the razor at 3 hours what a
    > joke the razor is a nice looking phone but the key pad is a poor lay out
    > and a joke.
    > iam a katana man for life or untill i change to the sanyo M1 a better
    > version of the katana and has more features than the razor
    >
    > --
    > AL'S COMPUTERS
    > "Mellow Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Good review by "Me!" The RAZR is definitely a better phone for the
    >> features it has. I work at RadioShack and I have a customer switching
    >> from her Katana to a RAZR because of its simplicity, especially in
    >> trying to use a Bluetooth headset. It generally takes fewer steps to
    >> use the Voice Services and Bluetooth technology on the RAZR. It has 4
    >> times the picture quality (1.3MP vs 0.3 MP) and way more data speed in
    >> certain areas. I would start by getting the RAZR, then if you think you
    >> think you can live without it (within your 30 day trial period), trade
    >> it in for a Katana.
    >>
    >> Mellow Mike
    >> http://savemyphone.blogspot.com
    >>
    >>
    >> mikeyhsd wrote:
    >>> been looking over , reading comments, checking reviews and still
    >>> pondering.
    >>> between
    >>> Katana
    >>> or
    >>> MOTORAZR V3m
    >>>
    >>> leaning toward the katana because of the LARGER display.
    >>>
    >>> anyone have any MAJOR problems, grips, concerns about either.
    >>>
    >>> would appreciate sharing the info.
    >>>
    >>> the phones would be within about $20 cost for upgrading 3 phones.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> [email protected]
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>

    >
    >






  9. #9
    Steven J. Sobol
    Guest

    Re: pondering a new phone

    In article <[email protected]>, Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > If you need advanced voice dialing then go for the Razr. The Katana does not
    > have advanced voice dialing. I need the ability to enter several hundred
    > business contacts and have each of them availalbe so that I can call them by
    > pressing a button on my Bluetooth Headset and say "call name". The Sanyo
    > does not have this capability.


    I concur. Motorola phones use VoiceSignal voice dial software. It's
    *wonderful.* I even emailed VoiceSignal once, thanking them for
    providing the software

    The first phones I used that had it were the Samsung A660 and A620 I
    used on Sprint. I can't live without it. I actually make purchase
    decisions now based on which phones have the feature.

    --
    Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
    Victorville, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

    It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.



  10. #10
    Mij Adyaw
    Guest

    Re: pondering a new phone

    Steve,

    I completely agree with you and find the voice signal software to be very
    user friendly and accurate in its voice recognition. I have also decided to
    make the Voice Signal software a major criteria when purchasing a new phone.
    Sanyo had advanced voice dialing in the mm7400 (a two year old phone) and
    they removed it in the Katana and the mm8400. Can you say LAME?...


    "Steven J. Sobol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, Mij Adyaw wrote:
    >> If you need advanced voice dialing then go for the Razr. The Katana does
    >> not
    >> have advanced voice dialing. I need the ability to enter several hundred
    >> business contacts and have each of them availalbe so that I can call them
    >> by
    >> pressing a button on my Bluetooth Headset and say "call name". The Sanyo
    >> does not have this capability.

    >
    > I concur. Motorola phones use VoiceSignal voice dial software. It's
    > *wonderful.* I even emailed VoiceSignal once, thanking them for
    > providing the software
    >
    > The first phones I used that had it were the Samsung A660 and A620 I
    > used on Sprint. I can't live without it. I actually make purchase
    > decisions now based on which phones have the feature.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl **
    > Linux/*BSD/Windows
    > Victorville, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED
    >
    > It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.






  11. #11
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: pondering a new phone

    "mikeyhsd" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > thanx for all the input.
    > much appreciated.
    >
    > do not plan on using the data ability.
    > no need for music player.
    > one of the phones is for a senior senior with poor eye site and less
    > sensitive fingers.
    >
    > so will probably go with the katana and see what happens.
    >
    >


    I mentioned before that my wife and I each got a Katana about 3 months
    ago. Over the Christmas break her parents also wanted to get phones. We
    got them Katana phones for the reasons that you mentioned. They will not
    be doing any data at all. In fact, I went into the security settings and
    locked out the Vision and Camera. They liked the large display for
    reading phone numbers and contact names. They also liked the larger
    keypad. It has been a few weeks and they love the Katana.



  12. #12
    mikeyhsd
    Guest

    Re: pondering a new phone

    thanx.
    went to the local sprint store yesterday and the katana was the favored one.



    [email protected]



    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    "mikeyhsd" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > thanx for all the input.
    > much appreciated.
    >
    > do not plan on using the data ability.
    > no need for music player.
    > one of the phones is for a senior senior with poor eye site and less
    > sensitive fingers.
    >
    > so will probably go with the katana and see what happens.
    >
    >


    I mentioned before that my wife and I each got a Katana about 3 months
    ago. Over the Christmas break her parents also wanted to get phones. We
    got them Katana phones for the reasons that you mentioned. They will not
    be doing any data at all. In fact, I went into the security settings and
    locked out the Vision and Camera. They liked the large display for
    reading phone numbers and contact names. They also liked the larger
    keypad. It has been a few weeks and they love the Katana.



  13. #13
    Steven J. Sobol
    Guest

    Re: pondering a new phone

    In article <[email protected]>, Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > Steve,
    >
    > I completely agree with you and find the voice signal software to be very
    > user friendly and accurate in its voice recognition. I have also decided to
    > make the Voice Signal software a major criteria when purchasing a new phone.
    > Sanyo had advanced voice dialing in the mm7400 (a two year old phone) and
    > they removed it in the Katana and the mm8400. Can you say LAME?...


    Yeah, but Samsung has a bunch of phones that have it, and the Sprint
    Samsung phones always seemed decent to me. I liked the two that I owned.

    voicesignal.com has a list of Sprint phones equiped with their
    software:

    http://www.voicesignal.com/products/...carrier=Sprint

    --
    Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
    Victorville, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

    It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.



  14. #14
    Andy
    Guest

    Re: pondering a new phone

    its one of the highest rated phones out for the non geeks aka the ones who need mp3 players and tv ect its a powerfull phone.


    --
    AL'S COMPUTERS
    "mikeyhsd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    thanx.
    went to the local sprint store yesterday and the katana was the favored one.



    [email protected]



    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    "mikeyhsd" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > thanx for all the input.
    > much appreciated.
    >
    > do not plan on using the data ability.
    > no need for music player.
    > one of the phones is for a senior senior with poor eye site and less
    > sensitive fingers.
    >
    > so will probably go with the katana and see what happens.
    >
    >


    I mentioned before that my wife and I each got a Katana about 3 months
    ago. Over the Christmas break her parents also wanted to get phones. We
    got them Katana phones for the reasons that you mentioned. They will not
    be doing any data at all. In fact, I went into the security settings and
    locked out the Vision and Camera. They liked the large display for
    reading phone numbers and contact names. They also liked the larger
    keypad. It has been a few weeks and they love the Katana.



  • Similar Threads

    1. Sprint PCS
    2. General Cell Phone Forum
    3. Samsung
    4. General Cell Phone Forum
    5. General Cell Phone Forum