Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 143
  1. #1
    Jim Dubya
    Guest
    Whenever I am traveling with co-worker from my company that have Verizon,
    there are many times that they borrow my Sprint phone because they either
    can't get a signal or they keep dropping the call. Whenever they have this
    problem and need to borrow my Sprint phone, I make them say "It's the
    Network" before I let them borrow my Sprint phone to make their call.

    I make them say "It's the Network" because they are drinking so much Verizon
    Kool-Aid that they just can't belive that their phone can't make a call or
    is dropping the call. Sometimes they are so brainwashed that they even try
    to blame the dropped call on the landline phone of the person that they are
    talking with!! Can you believe that?!

    Anyway, I make them say ":It's the network" and then I let them borrow my
    phone.

    BTW: I don't work for Sprint or have any connection to Sprint or Verizon
    other than I was a Verizon/Airtouch customer for 10 years before being
    forced to switch to Sprint becuse Verizon couldn't provide service to my
    neighborhood in Southern Orange County California and therefore I had to
    dump-them. 'Actually Verizon dumped-me and waived the ETF after
    investigating my neighborhood and talling me that they cannot provide
    reliable service in my area. I think that Verion has the best marketing
    maching of any company in the world and I congratulate them for that
    accomplishment. Their "It's the Network" marketing campaign has everyone
    drinking Verizon Kool-aid by the gallons. This really fun! I was on Ortega
    Highway (between Riverside and Orange County) with a friend last week to do
    some astronomy. He wanted to call his wife and his Verizon phone had no
    signal! I loaned him my Sprint phone after making him say "It's the Network"
    and he was able to make the call. Just for the fun-of-it, I forced my Sprint
    phone to roam on Verizon and showed him that I couldn't get any signal
    either. He was rather impressed that I could force my phone into roaming
    mode and is going to be switching to Sprint after his contract is up with
    Verizon. I also work in a building in Carlbad California on Faraday Avenue
    that has a very low Verizon signal. The Verizon Kool-Aid drinkers are
    dropping calls all of the time in our labs at the office. I save the day by
    loaning them my Sprint phone after making them say "It's the Network".

    Boys and girls, is really important to be able to separate the wheat from
    the chaf. The truth is that "It's the Network" is a wonderful marketing
    campaign but there is no single cell phone service provider that is "the
    best". The best cell phone service is the one that works the best in the
    areas that you work, live, play, and travel. That is really the final and
    ONLY truth!!





    See More: Make them say "It's the Network"!




  2. #2
    Agent_C
    Guest

    Re: Make them say "It's the Network"!

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:32:19 -0700, "Jim Dubya" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Whenever I am traveling with co-worker from my company that have Verizon,
    >there are many times that they borrow my Sprint phone because they either
    >can't get a signal or they keep dropping the call.

    <snip>

    You're completely full of ****.

    A_C




  3. #3

    Re: Make them say "It's the Network"!

    Jim Dubya wrote:
    > Whenever I am traveling with co-worker from my company that have Verizon,
    > there are many times that they borrow my Sprint phone because they either
    > can't get a signal or they keep dropping the call. Whenever they have this
    > problem and need to borrow my Sprint phone, I make them say "It's the
    > Network" before I let them borrow my Sprint phone to make their call.


    Ever thought they might say "its the asshole" when you walk up?

    Personally if you were in my car and asked me to say something so
    stupid, you'd get removed from the vehicle. If you're REALLY lucky I
    might even slow down before removing you.

    Its the attitude, stupid.

    PS - if you want coverage buy a nice dual band mobile ham radio rig
    (2m/70cm) and a nice meaty amplifier and antenna. Burn a few hours
    learning how to use echolink and you'll probably find you get much
    better coverage with it than you do a cellphone. Of course, 1500W of FM
    always beats 250mW of CDMA (plus the 800 band is pretty worthless, 1900
    is completely worthless and should only be used for overlays... PCS-only
    carriers SUCK) :P




  4. #4
    Jim Dubya
    Guest

    Re: Make them say "It's the Network"!

    "Agent_C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:32:19 -0700, "Jim Dubya" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Whenever I am traveling with co-worker from my company that have Verizon,
    >>there are many times that they borrow my Sprint phone because they either
    >>can't get a signal or they keep dropping the call.

    > <snip>
    >
    > You're completely full of ****.
    >
    > A_C
    >


    Agent_C,

    It sounds like you need to have another tall glass of Verizon Kool-Aid. You
    are already "way--the-legal-limit" and seem to be very intoxicated on the
    stuff! :Maybe you should make an appointment with a therapist and tell them
    of your obsession with "It's the Network". They have helped many folks like
    you and I am sure that there is hope for you but you may have to eat the ETF
    and switch to another cell phone service. :-)

    Best of luck and hope that you can successfully detox very soon. Now go back
    to playing "secret agent man" and be nice. :-)





  5. #5
    Jim Dubya
    Guest

    Re: Make them say "It's the Network"!

    "Agent_C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:32:19 -0700, "Jim Dubya" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Whenever I am traveling with co-worker from my company that have Verizon,
    >>there are many times that they borrow my Sprint phone because they either
    >>can't get a signal or they keep dropping the call.

    > <snip>
    >
    > You're completely full of ****.
    >
    > A_C
    >


    Agent_C,

    It sounds like you need to have another tall glass of Verizon Kool-Aid. You
    are already "way--the-legal-limit" and seem to be very intoxicated on the
    stuff! :Maybe you should make an appointment with a therapist and tell them
    of your obsession with "It's the Network". They have helped many folks like
    you and I am sure that there is hope for you but you may have to eat the ETF
    and switch to another cell phone service. :-)

    Best of luck and hope that you can successfully detox very soon. Now go back
    to playing "secret agent man" and be nice. :-)






  6. #6
    Agent_C
    Guest

    Re: Re: Make them say "It's the Network"!

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:08:13 -0700, "Jim Dubya" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Agent_C,
    >
    >It sounds like you need to have another tall glass of Verizon Kool-Aid. You
    >are already "way--the-legal-limit" and seem to be very intoxicated on the
    >stuff! :Maybe you should make an appointment with a therapist and tell them
    >of your obsession with "It's the Network". They have helped many folks like
    >you and I am sure that there is hope for you but you may have to eat the ETF
    >and switch to another cell phone service. :-)
    >
    >Best of luck and hope that you can successfully detox very soon. Now go back
    >to playing "secret agent man" and be nice. :-)


    Anything of substance to say?

    A_C



  7. #7
    Nick Danger
    Guest

    Re: Make them say "It's the Network"!

    I figured out long ago that this whole myth of "best coverage" and "best
    customer service" was a case of mass delusion, probably brought on by the
    "Can you hear me now?" campaign, which I actually do admire for its
    effectiveness. I'm sure there are a fair number of other people who are
    aware of this phenomenon. However, most of us are content to just go through
    life with a certain quiet smugness about our resistance to clever
    advertising. As for getting your kicks from forcing the VZW sheep to grovel
    before you, I guess it's your phone and you have the right to set your own
    conditions - or possibly you are just a troll with too much free time on
    your hands - but in either case, really, you do need to Get a Life.





  8. #8
    Jim Dubya
    Guest

    Re: Make them say "It's the Network"!


    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Jim Dubya wrote:
    >> Whenever I am traveling with co-worker from my company that have Verizon,
    >> there are many times that they borrow my Sprint phone because they either
    >> can't get a signal or they keep dropping the call. Whenever they have
    >> this problem and need to borrow my Sprint phone, I make them say "It's
    >> the Network" before I let them borrow my Sprint phone to make their call.

    >
    > Ever thought they might say "its the asshole" when you walk up?
    >
    > Personally if you were in my car and asked me to say something so stupid,
    > you'd get removed from the vehicle. If you're REALLY lucky I might even
    > slow down before removing you.
    >
    > Its the attitude, stupid.
    >
    > PS - if you want coverage buy a nice dual band mobile ham radio rig
    > (2m/70cm) and a nice meaty amplifier and antenna. Burn a few hours
    > learning how to use echolink and you'll probably find you get much better
    > coverage with it than you do a cellphone. Of course, 1500W of FM always
    > beats 250mW of CDMA (plus the 800 band is pretty worthless, 1900 is
    > completely worthless and should only be used for overlays... PCS-only
    > carriers SUCK) :P
    >


    If your car was broken down on a deserted road and your Verizon phone didn't
    work and your high-powered CB Radio didn't work (that's a big TEN-FOUR good
    buddy!), you would say anything to use my working cell phone! :-)

    P.S. Your conversations on those fancy CB Radios are not private. Did you
    know what other folks can hear everything that you say when you are on
    channel 19 talking to the truckers and lot lizzards? :-)

    Also, PCS works very well when it is deployed well.





  9. #9
    Todd Allcock
    Guest

    Re: Make them say "It's the Network"!

    At 21 Aug 2007 16:19:43 -0400 Nick Danger wrote:
    > I figured out long ago that this whole myth of "best coverage" and
    > "best
    > customer service" was a case of mass delusion, probably brought on

    by the
    > "Can you hear me now?" campaign, which I actually do admire for its
    > effectiveness.


    To be fair, however, such a campaign couldn't overcome a rotten
    network.

    McDonald's could launch a "Big Mac- it's better than a steak dinner"
    campaign, and no one's going to walk around thinking- "they're right-
    it IS better than steak!"

    While T-Mobile and Sprint work in my neighborhood much better than
    AT&T or Verizon, that's certainly not the norm. In my travels, when
    I'm in a lousy reception area and most of us are cursing at our phones,

    it's usually (not always) the guy with the Verizon phone making a
    call while the rest of us are staring at the lack of bars on our
    phones.

    I say this as a happy T-Mo customer- the situation I described above
    doesn't happen often enough for me to trade a two phones with 1000
    minutes and unlimited data for $72 for better reception and a
    $150/month bill! We all have priorities. Mine are inexpensive voice
    and data, and the freedom to choose any equipment I want to use.


    > I'm sure there are a fair number of other people who are
    > aware of this phenomenon. However, most of us are content to just
    > go through
    > life with a certain quiet smugness about our resistance to clever
    > advertising.


    Again, advertising often can change your predisposition to a product,
    but rarely overcomes personal experience. The Verizon campaign is
    only as successful as it is because it's essentially true. Verizon
    coverage isn't necessarily leaps and bounds above the others, but
    it's usually as good as anyone elses, and sometimes better.


    --

    "I don't need my cell phone to play video games or take pictures
    or double as a Walkie-Talkie; I just need it to work. Thanks for
    all the bells and whistles, but I could communicate better with
    ACTUAL bells and whistles." -Bill Maher 9/25/2003





  10. #10
    AZ Nomad
    Guest

    Re: Make them say "It's the Network"!

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:32:19 -0700, Jim Dubya <[email protected]> wrote:


    >Whenever I am traveling with co-worker from my company that have Verizon,
    >there are many times that they borrow my Sprint phone because they either
    >can't get a signal or they keep dropping the call. Whenever they have this
    >problem and need to borrow my Sprint phone, I make them say "It's the
    >Network" before I let them borrow my Sprint phone to make their call.


    You're a jerk. A complete knee-biter.




  11. #11
    IMHO IIRC
    Guest

    Re: Make them say "It's the Network"!

    In news:[email protected],
    Paul Miner <[email protected]> typed:
    > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:14:58 -0700, "Jim Dubya" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> PS - if you want coverage buy a nice dual band mobile ham radio rig
    >>> (2m/70cm) and a nice meaty amplifier and antenna. Burn a few hours
    >>> learning how to use echolink and you'll probably find you get much
    >>> better coverage with it than you do a cellphone. Of course, 1500W of
    >>> FM always beats 250mW of CDMA (plus the 800 band is pretty worthless,
    >>> 1900 is completely worthless and should only be used for overlays...
    >>> PCS-only carriers SUCK) :P
    >>>

    >>
    >> If your car was broken down on a deserted road and your Verizon phone
    >> didn't work and your high-powered CB Radio didn't work (that's a big
    >> TEN-FOUR good buddy!), you would say anything to use my working cell
    >> phone! :-)
    >>
    >> P.S. Your conversations on those fancy CB Radios are not private. Did you
    >> know what other folks can hear everything that you say when you are on
    >> channel 19 talking to the truckers and lot lizzards? :-)
    >>
    >> Also, PCS works very well when it is deployed well.

    >
    > You're equating CB to a 1500W Ham rig??


    The OP Does not seem to be in touch with reality about cell phones OR CB OR
    a 1500W Ham rig.
    Makes me wonder about all he has posted ;-)






  12. #12
    George
    Guest

    Re: Make them say "It's the Network"!

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:32:19 -0700, Jim Dubya <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Whenever I am traveling with co-worker from my company that have Verizon,
    >> there are many times that they borrow my Sprint phone because they either
    >> can't get a signal or they keep dropping the call. Whenever they have this
    >> problem and need to borrow my Sprint phone, I make them say "It's the
    >> Network" before I let them borrow my Sprint phone to make their call.

    >
    > You're a jerk. A complete knee-biter.
    >

    Trolls tend to be like that. So why bother feeding them?



  13. #13
    AZ Nomad
    Guest

    Re: Make them say "It's the Network"!

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:07:35 -0400, George <[email protected]> wrote:


    >AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:32:19 -0700, Jim Dubya <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Whenever I am traveling with co-worker from my company that have Verizon,
    >>> there are many times that they borrow my Sprint phone because they either
    >>> can't get a signal or they keep dropping the call. Whenever they have this
    >>> problem and need to borrow my Sprint phone, I make them say "It's the
    >>> Network" before I let them borrow my Sprint phone to make their call.

    >>
    >> You're a jerk. A complete knee-biter.
    >>

    >Trolls tend to be like that. So why bother feeding them?


    Trolls tend to be brighter than him. It takes some cleverness to get a
    good heated argument going. He's just your basic jerk.



  14. #14
    Larry
    Guest

    Re: Make them say "It's the Network"!

    "Jim Dubya" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Anyway, I make them say ":It's the network" and then I let them borrow
    > my phone.
    >
    >


    Precious!

    .....especially if you follow it up with, "Can you hear me now??!!", while
    they're on your phone...(c;

    Larry
    --
    I always loan my Alltel phone to Verizon customers inside WalMart where
    Verizon's DEAD. 4 of them have turned in my customer referral cards so I
    get my bounty!...(c;

    I'll make 'em say, "It's the network.", from now on....(c;



  15. #15
    Larry
    Guest

    Re: Make them say "It's the Network"!

    Todd Allcock <[email protected]> wrote in newsYKyi.9040
    [email protected]:

    > McDonald's could launch a "Big Mac- it's better than a steak dinner"
    > campaign, and no one's going to walk around thinking- "they're right-
    > it IS better than steak!"
    >
    >


    Obviously, you've never read the warning statements on the cardboard
    sleeve a new fan belt comes in, have you? Warnings like - Turn off the
    engine before attempting to replace this belt. You just KNOW someone
    needed that statement, right? You could easily convince 30% of the
    Americans like him that McDonald's greaseburgers were better'n steak.
    Listen to any talk radio station for an hour and see what commercials
    work great to sell Select Comfort $2000 air mattresses, Bose $2000 6"
    speakers, etc.

    People are really STUPID!......well, except for you and me.

    Larry
    --



  • Similar Threads




  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast