Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63
  1. #1
    Jar-Jar Binks
    Guest
    I was on Verizon/Airtouch for 10+ years and moved to Sprint about 2 years
    ago because Verizon couldn't provide service to my new home in Laguna Niguel
    California. Verizon actually sent a technician out to my home to do signal
    testing. He concluded that the signal was unusable and for this reason,
    Verizon terminated me and my wife as Verizon customers without having to pay
    the ETF. I highly commend Verizon for this because they actually care about
    providing good service to their customers. Kudos to Verizon. On the other
    hand, Sprint provided almost full signal to my home and I made the switch to
    Sprint. I have been very satisfied when using Sprint when traveling. If I am
    in a remote rural area I can simply set my phone to "Roaming Only" mode and
    I am using Verizon's network for free. Therefore I have the best of both
    worlds because I am technically savvy and realize that I can do this. I can
    even stand under a Sprint tower and make a call on Verizon if I like. Any
    user can do this by setting their Sprint phone to "Roaming Only" mode from
    the Roaming Menu. It is an options that is available on all Sprint "Digital
    Only" phones. I hope that helps clarify this issue.



    "Alan Marryat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:zb%[email protected]
    > $100/month
    >
    > I haven't switched. And I have been on verizonwireless since it was
    > nynex.
    >
    > "XS11E" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> "Alan Marryat" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    > .
    >>
    >> What Sprint plan?
    >>
    >>
    >> Counting you? One.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >> The Usenet Improvement Project:
    >> http://improve-usenet.org

    >
    >






    See More: Retention and Sprint's new plan




  2. #2
    Tom J
    Guest

    Re: Retention and Sprint's new plan

    Jar-Jar Binks wrote:
    > I was on Verizon/Airtouch for 10+ years and moved to Sprint about 2
    > years ago because Verizon couldn't provide service to my new home in
    > Laguna Niguel California. Verizon actually sent a technician out to
    > my home to do signal testing. He concluded that the signal was
    > unusable and for this reason, Verizon terminated me and my wife as
    > Verizon customers without having to pay the ETF. I highly commend
    > Verizon for this because they actually care about providing good
    > service to their customers. Kudos to Verizon. On the other hand,
    > Sprint provided almost full signal to my home and I made the switch
    > to Sprint. I have been very satisfied when using Sprint when
    > traveling. If I am in a remote rural area I can simply set my phone
    > to "Roaming Only" mode and I am using Verizon's network for free.
    > Therefore I have the best of both worlds because I am technically
    > savvy and realize that I can do this. I can even stand under a
    > Sprint
    > tower and make a call on Verizon if I like. Any user can do this by
    > setting their Sprint phone to "Roaming Only" mode from the Roaming
    > Menu. It is an options that is available on all Sprint "Digital
    > Only"
    > phones. I hope that helps clarify this issue.


    You won't be so happy when Sprint gets behind on their usage of the
    Verizon towers and Verizon cuts off access!! With Sprint's problems,
    that could happen at any time.

    Tom J





  3. #3
    Bill T
    Guest

    Re: Retention and Sprint's new plan

    Jar-Jar Binks wrote:<<snip>>. If I am
    > in a remote rural area I can simply set my phone to "Roaming Only" mode and
    > I am using Verizon's network for free. Therefore I have the best of both
    > worlds because I am technically savvy and realize that I can do this. I can
    > even stand under a Sprint tower and make a call on Verizon if I like. Any
    > user can do this by setting their Sprint phone to "Roaming Only" mode from
    > the Roaming Menu. It is an options that is available on all Sprint "Digital
    > Only" phones. I hope that helps clarify this issue.
    >


    I also really like this aspect of Sprint service. My new home is
    one-bar territory on Sprint, with 90% dropped calls. Much better
    conditions when I force the phone to "roaming" (=Verizon).

    I guess I can just go with Verizon, but right now I actually have access
    to both networks. Plus, unbeknownst to me Sprint renew a 2-yr contract
    when I had to get my phone repaired last year (WTF?)

    Does Verizon not provide free roaming?


    Bill



  4. #4
    Dennis Ferguson
    Guest

    Re: Retention and Sprint's new plan

    On 2008-03-01, Bill T <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I also really like this aspect of Sprint service. My new home is
    > one-bar territory on Sprint, with 90% dropped calls. Much better
    > conditions when I force the phone to "roaming" (=Verizon).
    >
    > I guess I can just go with Verizon, but right now I actually have access
    > to both networks. Plus, unbeknownst to me Sprint renew a 2-yr contract
    > when I had to get my phone repaired last year (WTF?)


    I had a family plan with Sprint for 7 years and I don't think
    I ever managed to get all phones off contract during that entire
    time; they'd add a contract back for the stupidest of reasons.
    At the end I fully expected to have to pay them to leave, but I
    managed to get them to waive an ETF based on the sheer injustice
    of whatever it was that caused that last contract extension.

    I didn't mind their service, actually, but I'd have to think hard
    about ever going back.

    > Does Verizon not provide free roaming?


    They do, but their phones don't let you force it and they're really
    fussy about who they let you roam with (I can't find Sprint in their
    PRL anywhere except the USVI, and they charge for that). They don't
    have Sprint's restrictions on how much you roam, on the other hand,
    so if all you have is roaming coverage you can feel free to use it.

    Dennis Ferguson



  5. #5
    Dutch
    Guest

    Re: Retention and Sprint's new plan

    While dumping the alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs bit
    bucket, I heard Dennis Ferguson say:

    > On 2008-03-01, Bill T <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I also really like this aspect of Sprint service. My new home is
    >> one-bar territory on Sprint, with 90% dropped calls. Much better
    >> conditions when I force the phone to "roaming" (=Verizon).
    >>
    >> I guess I can just go with Verizon, but right now I actually have access
    >> to both networks. Plus, unbeknownst to me Sprint renew a 2-yr contract
    >> when I had to get my phone repaired last year (WTF?)

    >
    > I had a family plan with Sprint for 7 years and I don't think
    > I ever managed to get all phones off contract during that entire
    > time; they'd add a contract back for the stupidest of reasons.
    > At the end I fully expected to have to pay them to leave, but I
    > managed to get them to waive an ETF based on the sheer injustice
    > of whatever it was that caused that last contract extension.
    >
    > I didn't mind their service, actually, but I'd have to think hard
    > about ever going back.
    >
    >> Does Verizon not provide free roaming?

    >
    > They do, but their phones don't let you force it and they're really
    > fussy about who they let you roam with (I can't find Sprint in their
    > PRL anywhere except the USVI, and they charge for that). They don't
    > have Sprint's restrictions on how much you roam, on the other hand,
    > so if all you have is roaming coverage you can feel free to use it.
    >
    > Dennis Ferguson


    According to the Mountain Wireless listing of VZW's PRL #50989 released
    Feb 15, there are 15 Sprint entries in various locations...

    http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl/vz_50989.shtml

    --
    Dutch



  6. #6
    Jar-Jar Binks
    Guest

    Re: Retention and Sprint's new plan

    Verizon provides free roaming, but doesn't provide the ability to force
    roaming at will like Sprint phones. Even if you have a Verizon signal that
    is unusable, the phone will not roam and you are stuck with that unusable
    signal.


    "Bill T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Jar-Jar Binks wrote:<<snip>>. If I am
    >> in a remote rural area I can simply set my phone to "Roaming Only" mode
    >> and
    >> I am using Verizon's network for free. Therefore I have the best of both
    >> worlds because I am technically savvy and realize that I can do this. I
    >> can
    >> even stand under a Sprint tower and make a call on Verizon if I like. Any
    >> user can do this by setting their Sprint phone to "Roaming Only" mode
    >> from
    >> the Roaming Menu. It is an options that is available on all Sprint
    >> "Digital
    >> Only" phones. I hope that helps clarify this issue.
    >>

    >
    > I also really like this aspect of Sprint service. My new home is one-bar
    > territory on Sprint, with 90% dropped calls. Much better conditions when
    > I force the phone to "roaming" (=Verizon).
    >
    > I guess I can just go with Verizon, but right now I actually have access
    > to both networks. Plus, unbeknownst to me Sprint renew a 2-yr contract
    > when I had to get my phone repaired last year (WTF?)
    >
    > Does Verizon not provide free roaming?
    >
    >
    > Bill






  7. #7
    Dennis Ferguson
    Guest

    Re: Retention and Sprint's new plan

    On 2008-03-01, Dutch <[email protected]> wrote:
    > While dumping the alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs bit
    > bucket, I heard Dennis Ferguson say:
    >> They do, but their phones don't let you force it and they're really
    >> fussy about who they let you roam with (I can't find Sprint in their
    >> PRL anywhere except the USVI, and they charge for that). They don't
    >> have Sprint's restrictions on how much you roam, on the other hand,
    >> so if all you have is roaming coverage you can feel free to use it.

    >
    > According to the Mountain Wireless listing of VZW's PRL #50989 released
    > Feb 15, there are 15 Sprint entries in various locations...
    >
    > http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl/vz_50989.shtml


    You are right, of course, all I really remembered is that they didn't
    roam on Sprint where I lived and somehow expanded that to everywhere.

    Measured by the same count, there are 100 Verizon entries in the most
    recent Sprint PRL. That's not quite and apples-to-apples comparison,
    however, since there are 200 Verizon entries in Verizon's PRL and only
    70 Sprint entries in Sprint's PRL, but at least the general idea is
    clear. Verizon doesn't like to roam on Sprint near as much as Sprint
    roams on Verizon.

    Dennis Ferguson



  8. #8
    Dutch
    Guest

    Re: Retention and Sprint's new plan

    While dumping the alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs bit
    bucket, I heard Dennis Ferguson say:

    > On 2008-03-01, Dutch <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> While dumping the alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs bit
    >> bucket, I heard Dennis Ferguson say:
    >>> They do, but their phones don't let you force it and they're really
    >>> fussy about who they let you roam with (I can't find Sprint in their
    >>> PRL anywhere except the USVI, and they charge for that). They don't
    >>> have Sprint's restrictions on how much you roam, on the other hand,
    >>> so if all you have is roaming coverage you can feel free to use it.

    >>
    >> According to the Mountain Wireless listing of VZW's PRL #50989 released
    >> Feb 15, there are 15 Sprint entries in various locations...
    >>
    >> http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl/vz_50989.shtml

    >
    > You are right, of course, all I really remembered is that they didn't
    > roam on Sprint where I lived and somehow expanded that to everywhere.
    >
    > Measured by the same count, there are 100 Verizon entries in the most
    > recent Sprint PRL. That's not quite and apples-to-apples comparison,
    > however, since there are 200 Verizon entries in Verizon's PRL and only
    > 70 Sprint entries in Sprint's PRL, but at least the general idea is
    > clear. Verizon doesn't like to roam on Sprint near as much as Sprint
    > roams on Verizon.
    >
    > Dennis Ferguson


    I agree it is lopsided, Dennis. Just not quite as badly as you
    indicated... :-)

    --
    Dutch



  9. #9
    Jar-Jar Binks
    Guest

    Re: Retention and Sprint's new plan

    Alan,

    Don't forget that when you get a Sprint Phone, you will still also have
    Verizon on the same phone. If you want to use the Verizon Netowrk on your
    Sprint Phone, all that you have to do is go into the" "Roaming Menu" on your
    Sprint Digital Phone and select "Roaming Only" mode. Your phone will then
    use the Verizon network and it is included in the price that you pay. Your
    phone will stay in roaming mode until you go into the menu and set it back
    to either "Sprint Only" mode or "Automatic Roaming" mode. It is really the
    best deal that you can get. I have my choice of using Sprint or Verizon on
    my Sprint Phone and therefore I am never without coverage. It is really the
    best of both worlds for a really great price. The deal cannot be beat! All
    that you can eat for $99. Wow, that is really kool!

    Jar-Jar


    "Alan Marryat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:8sZyj.13924$E[email protected]
    > Yes, both offer unlimited voice. But for $99, Verizon offers voice only.
    > I have a Blackberry 8830. In order to get what Sprint is offering for
    > $99, I would have to pay $150 to Verizon. I would pay a little more, but
    > not 50% more.
    >
    > "Diamond Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 20:59:05 GMT, "Alan Marryat"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I called, but VZW will not do anything to try and match the Sprint plan.
    >>>How many people are going to flee to Sprint despite the customer service
    >>>nightmares and service coverage downgrade?
    >>>
    >>>I figure with buying a new blackberry plus my early termination fee that
    >>>I
    >>>can break even in 9 months.

    >>
    >> What was Sprint offering that VZW can't offer?
    >>
    >> Don't both offer unlimited plans now?
    >>
    >>

    >
    >






  10. #10
    Bill T
    Guest

    Re: Retention and Sprint's new plan

    Jar-Jar Binks wrote:
    > Alan,
    >
    > Don't forget that when you get a Sprint Phone, you will still also have
    > Verizon on the same phone. If you want to use the Verizon Netowrk on your
    > Sprint Phone, all that you have to do is go into the" "Roaming Menu" on your
    > Sprint Digital Phone and select "Roaming Only" mode. Your phone will then
    > use the Verizon network and it is included in the price that you pay. Your
    > phone will stay in roaming mode until you go into the menu and set it back
    > to either "Sprint Only" mode or "Automatic Roaming" mode. It is really the
    > best deal that you can get. I have my choice of using Sprint or Verizon on
    > my Sprint Phone and therefore I am never without coverage. It is really the
    > best of both worlds for a really great price. The deal cannot be beat! All
    > that you can eat for $99. Wow, that is really kool!
    >



    I have stuck with Sprint for 10 years now, and currently have one phone
    and one data card on its network. I think the price is OK, the EVDO
    coverage is great, and I love the Verizon "freebie". Yeah, customer
    service sucks, but it is comparable to other out-sourced,
    script-reading, English-as-a-second-or-third-language phone contacts in
    most companies.

    One trick is to threaten to quit (and mean it). You get transferred to
    a "Customer Retention" rep who speaks perfect idiomatic English,
    converses soothingly, has good people skills, and can actually make
    independent decisions.

    Doesn't always work. I recently got pissed off at the Bank of America
    and wanted to drop my all accounts - including a heavily used,
    high-limit credit card. They cheerfully said fine, and transferred me
    to their cancellation unit.



  11. #11
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Guest

    Re: Retention and Sprint's new plan

    In alt.cellular.sprintpcs Jar-Jar Binks <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Alan,
    >
    > Don't forget that when you get a Sprint Phone, you will still also have
    > Verizon on the same phone. If you want to use the Verizon Netowrk on your
    > Sprint Phone, all that you have to do is go into the" "Roaming Menu" on your
    > Sprint Digital Phone and select "Roaming Only" mode. Your phone will then
    > use the Verizon network and it is included in the price that you pay. Your
    > phone will stay in roaming mode until you go into the menu and set it back
    > to either "Sprint Only" mode or "Automatic Roaming" mode. It is really the
    > best deal that you can get. I have my choice of using Sprint or Verizon on
    > my Sprint Phone and therefore I am never without coverage. It is really the
    > best of both worlds for a really great price. The deal cannot be beat! All
    > that you can eat for $99. Wow, that is really kool!
    >


    Unless Sprint has changed much since I used their "roaming" plan, they don't
    allow more than 50% of the used minutes to be roaming from month to month and
    if it is found to be the case, they have the option to cancel the free
    roaming [at their descretion]. So, if you leave your phone in "Roam Always",
    you will trip up on this issue very quick. I work with a guy that uses Sprint
    and where I am currently working, Sprint barely works at all, so he puts his
    phone in roaming mode. He has forgotten to switch back a few times [usually
    he figures it out when voicemail or other features don't work as expected],
    but he did get a notice from Sprint, which he called and protested. To my
    knowledge, they haven't given him any more trouble on the issue.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    In the land of the dark the Ship of the Sun is driven by the Grateful Dead.
    -- Egyptian Book of the Dead



  12. #12
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Guest

    Re: Retention and Sprint's new plan

    In alt.cellular.sprintpcs Bill T <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I guess I can just go with Verizon, but right now I actually have access
    > to both networks. Plus, unbeknownst to me Sprint renew a 2-yr contract
    > when I had to get my phone repaired last year (WTF?)
    >
    > Does Verizon not provide free roaming?
    >


    With the latest plans from Verizon, if you get signal, you coverage and you
    don't pay additional for it [in the United States]. Things may change if you
    mess with the phoen NAM or other such settings to force it over to a
    competitors network, but most people will not ever have the need ;-)

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    In the land of the dark the Ship of the Sun is driven by the Grateful Dead.
    -- Egyptian Book of the Dead



  13. #13
    Jar-Jar Binks
    Guest

    Re: Retention and Sprint's new plan

    > With the latest plans from Verizon, if you get signal, you coverage and
    > you
    > don't pay additional for it [in the United States]. Things may change if
    > you
    > mess with the phoen NAM or other such settings to force it over to a
    > competitors network, but most people will not ever have the need ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Thomas T. Veldhouse
    >
    > In the land of the dark the Ship of the Sun is driven by the Grateful
    > Dead.
    > -- Egyptian Book of the Dead


    Verizon phones will roam if they cannot pick up a verizon signal. A Verizon
    phone will lock onto a Verizon signal even if the signal is very weak and
    unusable. With a Sprint Phone, you have the ability to force roaming on
    Verizon. Also, if you have the "all you can eat" unlimited plan, there is no
    cap on roaming. Both Verizon and Sprint have their advantages and
    disadvantages and I can choose either network from a single phone. That
    really rocks!






  14. #14
    Dutch
    Guest

    Re: Retention and Sprint's new plan

    While dumping the alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs bit
    bucket, I heard Jar-Jar Binks say:

    >> With the latest plans from Verizon, if you get signal, you coverage and
    >> you
    >> don't pay additional for it [in the United States]. Things may change if
    >> you
    >> mess with the phoen NAM or other such settings to force it over to a
    >> competitors network, but most people will not ever have the need ;-)

    >
    > Verizon phones will roam if they cannot pick up a verizon signal. A Verizon
    > phone will lock onto a Verizon signal even if the signal is very weak and
    > unusable. With a Sprint Phone, you have the ability to force roaming on
    > Verizon. Also, if you have the "all you can eat" unlimited plan, there is no
    > cap on roaming. Both Verizon and Sprint have their advantages and
    > disadvantages and I can choose either network from a single phone. That
    > really rocks!


    That's a little bit misleading, since you can only choose between
    roaming, not roaming, or automatic. Sprint has roaming agreements with
    Verizon, Alltel, US Cellular, and many other carriers, so which network
    you roam on when you force it or automatically switch, is a function of
    the PRL priority list and your location. Yes, most commonly it will be
    Verizon, but not always. In their coverage area, Alltel generally has
    the higher priority for instance.

    --
    Dutch



  15. #15
    George
    Guest

    Re: Retention and Sprint's new plan

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > In alt.cellular.sprintpcs Jar-Jar Binks <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Alan,
    >>
    >> Don't forget that when you get a Sprint Phone, you will still also have
    >> Verizon on the same phone. If you want to use the Verizon Netowrk on your
    >> Sprint Phone, all that you have to do is go into the" "Roaming Menu" on your
    >> Sprint Digital Phone and select "Roaming Only" mode. Your phone will then
    >> use the Verizon network and it is included in the price that you pay. Your
    >> phone will stay in roaming mode until you go into the menu and set it back
    >> to either "Sprint Only" mode or "Automatic Roaming" mode. It is really the
    >> best deal that you can get. I have my choice of using Sprint or Verizon on
    >> my Sprint Phone and therefore I am never without coverage. It is really the
    >> best of both worlds for a really great price. The deal cannot be beat! All
    >> that you can eat for $99. Wow, that is really kool!
    >>

    >
    > Unless Sprint has changed much since I used their "roaming" plan, they don't
    > allow more than 50% of the used minutes to be roaming from month to month and
    > if it is found to be the case, they have the option to cancel the free
    > roaming [at their descretion]. So, if you leave your phone in "Roam Always",
    > you will trip up on this issue very quick. I work with a guy that uses Sprint
    > and where I am currently working, Sprint barely works at all, so he puts his
    > phone in roaming mode. He has forgotten to switch back a few times [usually
    > he figures it out when voicemail or other features don't work as expected],
    > but he did get a notice from Sprint, which he called and protested. To my
    > knowledge, they haven't given him any more trouble on the issue.
    >

    I know a few people who tried Sprint and gave up for that reason. Lets
    just say Sprint has much less than optimum signal in my local nad nearby
    markets (to be fair tmobile is similar). They bought the phones and
    Sprint canceled their roaming as you described.

    If you go to the local mall the person in the Sprint both is sitting
    there daydreaming and the three people at the VZW booth are always busy.



  • Similar Threads




  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast