Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    drishaq
    Guest
    …GPS navigation devices are becoming increasingly popular because they
    are constantly expanding their range of uses...
    http://gadgetreviews.co.cc/Get_The_F...GPS_Device.htm




    See More: Get The Facts About The GPS Device




  2. #2
    selena
    Guest

    Re: Get The Facts About The GPS Device


    drishaq;422458 Wrote:
    > …GPS navigation devices are becoming increasingly popular because
    > they
    > are constantly expanding their range of uses...
    > http://gadgetreviews.co.cc/Get_The_F...GPS_Device.htm



    That is right that GPS devices are becoming more popular today.
    Nowadays with the great technology GPS device can be installed in
    Laptops and cars.
    Anyways, Thanks for the nice information.




    --
    selena



  3. #3
    AZ Nomad
    Guest

    Re: Get The Facts About The GPS Device

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:03:01 -0600, Roger 2008 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"selena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> That is right that GPS devices are becoming more popular today.
    >> Nowadays with the great technology GPS device can be installed in
    >> Laptops and cars.
    >> Anyways, Thanks for the nice information.


    >If you use the Mogul from Sprint it has GPS built into it.


    I prefer having a device with maps stored locally. It sucks trying to
    find a place that is on the fringe of celular service and having the
    map service get disconnected.

    Right now I'm using tomtom navigator 6 which stores the maps I need in about a
    gig of space. I have that and a small music/audiobook library on an 8 GB
    micro-sdhc card half the size of a postage stamp.



  4. #4
    Roger 2008
    Guest

    Re: Get The Facts About The GPS Device


    "selena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > That is right that GPS devices are becoming more popular today.
    > Nowadays with the great technology GPS device can be installed in
    > Laptops and cars.
    > Anyways, Thanks for the nice information.


    If you use the Mogul from Sprint it has GPS built into it.

    If you use a Touch you can add a GPS with this:
    http://www8.garmin.com/mobile/smartphones/





  5. #5
    Dutch
    Guest

    Re: Get The Facts About The GPS Device

    AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:03:01 -0600, Roger 2008 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>"selena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> That is right that GPS devices are becoming more popular today.
    >>> Nowadays with the great technology GPS device can be installed in
    >>> Laptops and cars.
    >>> Anyways, Thanks for the nice information.

    >
    >>If you use the Mogul from Sprint it has GPS built into it.

    >
    > I prefer having a device with maps stored locally. It sucks trying to
    > find a place that is on the fringe of celular service and having the
    > map service get disconnected.
    >
    > Right now I'm using tomtom navigator 6 which stores the maps I need in about a
    > gig of space. I have that and a small music/audiobook library on an 8 GB
    > micro-sdhc card half the size of a postage stamp.


    "Mobile GMaps is a FREE application that displays maps from Yahoo! Maps,
    Windows Live Local (MSN Virtual Earth), Ask.com, Open Street Map and
    other sources on Java J2ME-enabled mobile phones, PDAs and other
    devices. MGMaps can connect to a GPS receiver over bluetooth or use
    internal GPS features on some phones in order to automatically display
    the map for your current position. You can pre-download maps and store
    them on your memory card in order to use them on the go without
    accessing the internet."

    http://www.mgmaps.com


    --
    Dutch
    Sprint/Motorola RAZR V3m
    tethered to PCLinuxOS 2008



  6. #6
    AZ Nomad
    Guest

    Re: Get The Facts About The GPS Device

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 09:15:01 -0500, Joel <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have no idea what you mean by locally and remotely map, when the
    >cellphone company may just charge you for the service (just like DATA, Text
    >Message, Picture etc..) else you just install any map (few years ago Google
    >even gave free map to some GPS which I installed on my Samsung 900A but
    >never used) which you work similar to your Tomtom. And if the GPS software
    >is for Cellphone then it usually much smaller than regular GPS device, and
    >many newer Garmin GPS may eat up to almost 2GB (the TOPO map may eat up to
    >around 4-5GB).


    Locally means that the maps are stored on the actual phone and available when
    you're outside of phone service.

    When you use the software that sprint provides on the Mogul, you are relying
    on an active connection to servers at sprint. Lose your connection and
    you're **** out of luck.



  7. #7
    Roger 2008
    Guest

    Re: Get The Facts About The GPS Device


    "AZ Nomad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:03:01 -0600, Roger 2008 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"selena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]
    > >>
    > >> That is right that GPS devices are becoming more popular today.
    > >> Nowadays with the great technology GPS device can be installed in
    > >> Laptops and cars.
    > >> Anyways, Thanks for the nice information.

    >
    > >If you use the Mogul from Sprint it has GPS built into it.

    >
    > I prefer having a device with maps stored locally. It sucks trying to
    > find a place that is on the fringe of celular service and having the
    > map service get disconnected.


    Yes, I like having the maps on my Mogul too especially when I know I'll be
    in areas where there will be little or no coverage.

    The link I posted earlier goes to a Garmin device that would do what you
    want it to do:
    http://www8.garmin.com/mobile/smartphones/

    > Right now I'm using tomtom navigator 6 which stores the maps I need in

    about a
    > gig of space. I have that and a small music/audiobook library on an 8 GB
    > micro-sdhc card half the size of a postage stamp.


    I've never tried an 8 GB on my Mogul yet but a 4 GB worked fine. But I've
    heard this too. If I got the Garmin the works with the internal GPS then it
    limits me to a 2 GB card and I didn't like that.





  8. #8
    AZ Nomad
    Guest

    Re: Get The Facts About The GPS Device

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 20:11:52 -0600, Roger 2008 <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:03:01 -0600, Roger 2008 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"selena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:[email protected]
    >> >>
    >> >> That is right that GPS devices are becoming more popular today.
    >> >> Nowadays with the great technology GPS device can be installed in
    >> >> Laptops and cars.
    >> >> Anyways, Thanks for the nice information.

    >>
    >> >If you use the Mogul from Sprint it has GPS built into it.

    >>
    >> I prefer having a device with maps stored locally. It sucks trying to
    >> find a place that is on the fringe of celular service and having the
    >> map service get disconnected.


    >Yes, I like having the maps on my Mogul too especially when I know I'll be
    >in areas where there will be little or no coverage.


    >The link I posted earlier goes to a Garmin device that would do what you
    >want it to do:
    >http://www8.garmin.com/mobile/smartphones/


    Garmin's antipiracy tactics put them out of consideration. For my
    phone, I would not be able to install the software onto a nice 8GB
    card. I'd have to use their ****ty little 2GB card and swap it out
    every time I wanted to switch between GPS and storing my own files.





  9. #9
    AZ Nomad
    Guest

    Re: Get The Facts About The GPS Device

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 21:28:54 -0500, Joel <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well, if you leave the **** out then you may be able to figure thing out.
    >There is no such thing of local or remote map, because technology isn't that
    >good as you think it is.


    are you really this dense? Local is stored on your device. Remote
    isn't.

    If you are relying on a server to send you maps and lose contact, you no
    longer have a functioning GPS device.

    <plonk>



  10. #10
    Todd Allcock
    Guest

    Re: Get The Facts About The GPS Device

    At 07 Oct 2008 21:32:27 -0500 Joel wrote:

    > > >The link I posted earlier goes to a Garmin device that would do what

    you
    > > >want it to do:
    > > >http://www8.garmin.com/mobile/smartphones/

    > >
    > > Garmin's antipiracy tactics put them out of consideration. For my
    > > phone, I would not be able to install the software onto a nice 8GB
    > > card. I'd have to use their ****ty little 2GB card and swap it out
    > > every time I wanted to switch between GPS and storing my own files.

    >
    > Way way too much **** when what we really need is some brain. I don't
    > know what your problem is, but I have Nuvi 680 and it works fine with

    SDHS
    > 8GB.


    While we're telling others to look for brains, we might might want to
    actually _read_ what others wrote...

    Your Nuvi is a dedicated GPS/Nav device. AZ was talking about a Garmin
    _software_ product that runs on GPS-enabled smartphones. To prevent
    piracy, they pre-install the maps on an included 2GB microSD card, which
    requires you to remove whatever card you normally use, and insert their map
    card.

    If like me, and apparently AZ, you normally schlep a bunch of data (media
    files, documents, etc.) on your microSD, swapping a map-only card into the
    phone to use it as a nav device sucks. On a long car trip, I typically run
    my GPS software while simultaneously listening to music or audiobooks from
    my phone. With the Garmin software product, that isn't possible.

    > I don't use more than one map, I ordered the 8GB because it's too cheap
    > these days (and even cheaper now), and I installed 2 other maps to the
    > external memory and everything works fine.



    Sure, if you own a separate GPS unit like you do. One of the benefits of
    traveling with a GPS-enabled smartphone is NOT having to lug around a Nuvi.
    My phone is not just my phone, but my "iPod", my GPS, my Kindle, my PSP,
    my laptop, etc.





  11. #11
    AZ Nomad
    Guest

    Re: Get The Facts About The GPS Device

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:35:20 -0500, Joel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >AZ Nomad <[email protected]> wrote:


    >> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 21:28:54 -0500, Joel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Well, if you leave the **** out then you may be able to figure thing out.
    >> >There is no such thing of local or remote map, because technology isn't that
    >> >good as you think it is.

    >>
    >> are you really this dense? Local is stored on your device. Remote
    >> isn't.
    >>
    >> If you are relying on a server to send you maps and lose contact, you no
    >> longer have a functioning GPS device.


    > Well, you have too much **** in your brain to forget to quote what you
    >need to quote. As I mention if you need the service then you will have to


    You're the idiot with a subsecond attention span and that isn't my
    problem.
    <plonk>



  • Similar Threads