Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Dave Sedgwick
    Guest
    Sorry...this rant has been building inside me ever since Nextell
    appeared on the market.

    Considering that a great many people are annoyed when my, or other, cell
    phones ring in public places (though I am very good to shut it off where
    it must be off), how can the world possibly be a better place when every
    is using a push-to-talk phone? I mean come on...instead of just one
    ring, now there will be the ever incessant 'beep', followed by the
    hearing of not just half the usually un-important conversation, but all
    of it! Now, I know I live right out side New York City - but even here,
    a little peace and quiet goes a long way. Kiss that all goodbye!

    I really like my Samsung 620/VGA 1000. It's a regular phone. I'll be
    keeping it well beyond (or, another 3G phone) the Push To Talk launch.

    Sedge

    ps. I do see where Push To Talk could be handy in certain medical,
    legal, other professions like that. And maybe drug dealing...

    [posted via phonescoop.com]



    See More: Push To Talk Coming? Gag Me




  2. #2
    Scott Stephenson
    Guest

    Re: Push To Talk Coming? Gag Me

    Dave Sedgwick wrote:
    > Sorry...this rant has been building inside me ever since Nextell
    > appeared on the market.
    >
    > Considering that a great many people are annoyed when my, or other, cell
    > phones ring in public places (though I am very good to shut it off where
    > it must be off), how can the world possibly be a better place when every
    > is using a push-to-talk phone? I mean come on...instead of just one
    > ring, now there will be the ever incessant 'beep', followed by the
    > hearing of not just half the usually un-important conversation, but all
    > of it! Now, I know I live right out side New York City - but even here,
    > a little peace and quiet goes a long way. Kiss that all goodbye!
    >
    > I really like my Samsung 620/VGA 1000. It's a regular phone. I'll be
    > keeping it well beyond (or, another 3G phone) the Push To Talk launch.
    >
    > Sedge
    >
    > ps. I do see where Push To Talk could be handy in certain medical,
    > legal, other professions like that. And maybe drug dealing...
    >
    > [posted via phonescoop.com]

    Or you could just put the phone on vibe and turn the speakerphone off
    (both common functions of PTT).




  3. #3
    tommy
    Guest

    Re: Push To Talk Coming? Gag Me

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Dave Sedgwick) wrote:

    > Considering that a great many people are annoyed when my, or other, cell
    > phones ring in public places (though I am very good to shut it off where
    > it must be off), how can the world possibly be a better place when every
    > is using a push-to-talk phone? I mean come on...instead of just one
    > ring, now there will be the ever incessant 'beep', followed by the
    > hearing of not just half the usually un-important conversation, but all
    > of it! Now, I know I live right out side New York City - but even here,
    > a little peace and quiet goes a long way. Kiss that all goodbye!


    PTT irritates the hell outta me.

    Someone said that you can use the phone normally - meaning, you can put
    it to your ear when you use it in walkie-talkie mode. Why don't they do
    that??

    Another thing that drives me crazy are people who walk around while
    using the speaker phone feature.

    ....and handsfree headsets when they're NOT driving.

    and..


    /tommy



  4. #4
    DRBETZ
    Guest

    Re: Push To Talk Coming? Gag Me


    I had NEXTEL for 2 years before switching to SPRINTPCS and never once
    used Direct Connect. I agree with Dave, I have my 8100, and will never
    upgrade to PTT. I also agree that it is going to suck having idiots
    running around in public using both Direct Connect and PTT in the near
    future.

    --
    Posted at SprintUsers.com - Your place for everything Sprint PCS
    Free wireless access @ www.SprintUsers.com/wap




  5. #5
    Tech Geek
    Guest

    Re: Push To Talk Coming? Gag Me



    [email protected] (Dave Sedgwick) wrote in article
    <[email protected]>:
    >
    > ps. I do see where Push To Talk could be handy in certain medical,
    > legal, other professions like that. And maybe drug dealing...
    >


    Some of Sprint PCS"s most profitable clients are "road-side pharmacists"
    (sp?). (and I'm not joking).

    PTT is a double edged sword. Sure, it gives the people the ability to
    have a walkie talkie service, but I fully agree with you.

    Unless I'm expecting an important call (my wife, family etc..) I turn
    mine off when I'm in resturants, movies, shows etc. I'll turn my phone
    off. I've seen people who's phone rings during a movie, answers it, and
    has a full conversation.

    I can just imagine these rude idiots in these places with PTT.

    Better buy the extra large popcorn to throw at them.

    As for Nextel, luckily, most of their customers are business people who
    don't abuse this, but with Verizon having it now, and SprintPCS having
    it soon, the opprotunity for abuse will be out there, and some people
    will abuse it.

    [posted via phonescoop.com]



  6. #6
    Steve Hanson
    Guest

    Re: Push To Talk Coming? Gag Me

    tommy wrote in <[email protected]>:

    >Another thing that drives me crazy are people who walk around while
    >using the speaker phone feature.
    >
    >...and handsfree headsets when they're NOT driving.


    I can see the first one, but in what way does someone using an
    earpiece with their phone inconvenience you? Is it alright if they
    dress differently or speak with an accent?



  7. #7
    Isaiah Beard
    Guest

    Re: Push To Talk Coming? Gag Me

    Dave Sedgwick wrote:

    > Sorry...this rant has been building inside me ever since Nextell
    > appeared on the market.
    >
    > Considering that a great many people are annoyed when my, or other, cell
    > phones ring in public places (though I am very good to shut it off where
    > it must be off), how can the world possibly be a better place when every
    > is using a push-to-talk phone? I mean come on...instead of just one
    > ring, now there will be the ever incessant 'beep', followed by the
    > hearing of not just half the usually un-important conversation, but all
    > of it! Now, I know I live right out side New York City - but even here,
    > a little peace and quiet goes a long way. Kiss that all goodbye!



    Personally, I think people overreact with these things. I mean, no one
    complains when a police officer, or surveyor, or construction worker of
    fireman has one of these things. Now all of a sudden joe Schmoe gets a
    walkie talkie and it's a mortal sin.

    Granted, people still have a lot to learn about etiquette, but I've seen
    people overreact over even reasonable use of PTT.





  8. #8
    Scott Stephenson
    Guest

    Re: Push To Talk Coming? Gag Me

    Isaiah Beard wrote:

    >
    >
    >
    > Personally, I think people overreact with these things. I mean, no one
    > complains when a police officer, or surveyor, or construction worker of
    > fireman has one of these things. Now all of a sudden joe Schmoe gets a
    > walkie talkie and it's a mortal sin.
    >
    > Granted, people still have a lot to learn about etiquette, but I've seen
    > people overreact over even reasonable use of PTT.
    >
    >


    Agreed.




  9. #9
    Justin
    Guest

    Re: Push To Talk Coming? Gag Me


    "Isaiah Beard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dave Sedgwick wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry...this rant has been building inside me ever since Nextell
    > > appeared on the market.
    > >
    > > Considering that a great many people are annoyed when my, or other, cell
    > > phones ring in public places (though I am very good to shut it off where
    > > it must be off), how can the world possibly be a better place when every
    > > is using a push-to-talk phone? I mean come on...instead of just one
    > > ring, now there will be the ever incessant 'beep', followed by the
    > > hearing of not just half the usually un-important conversation, but all
    > > of it! Now, I know I live right out side New York City - but even here,
    > > a little peace and quiet goes a long way. Kiss that all goodbye!

    >
    >
    > Personally, I think people overreact with these things. I mean, no one
    > complains when a police officer, or surveyor, or construction worker of
    > fireman has one of these things. Now all of a sudden joe Schmoe gets a
    > walkie talkie and it's a mortal sin.



    People aren't generally surrounded by police, out surveying land, at a
    construction site, or at a fire. That was just ignorant.




    > Granted, people still have a lot to learn about etiquette, but I've seen
    > people overreact over even reasonable use of PTT.
    >
    >






  10. #10
    Lawrence Glasser
    Guest

    Re: Push To Talk Coming? Gag Me

    Steve Hanson wrote:
    >
    > tommy wrote in <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >Another thing that drives me crazy are people who walk around while
    > >using the speaker phone feature.
    > >
    > >...and handsfree headsets when they're NOT driving.

    >
    > I can see the first one, but in what way does someone using an
    > earpiece with their phone inconvenience you? Is it alright if they
    > dress differently or speak with an accent?


    I saw one guy, apparently talking through his handsfree headset,
    when I noticed that it had become unplugged from his phone. The
    conversation continued for a number of minutes.

    And, no, it wasn't a Bluetooth.

    Very strange!

    Larry



  11. #11
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Guest

    Re: Push To Talk Coming? Gag Me


    "DRBETZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news[email protected]
    >
    > I had NEXTEL for 2 years before switching to SPRINTPCS and never once
    > used Direct Connect. I agree with Dave, I have my 8100, and will never
    > upgrade to PTT. I also agree that it is going to suck having idiots
    > running around in public using both Direct Connect and PTT in the near
    > future.
    >



    It is still going to be expensive compared to a regular voice plan. The
    majority of people that use it are going to be doing so for business or
    particularily specialized applications. The regular Joe and Mary will not
    likely be paying for the PTT features once it gets past the novelty phase.

    Tom Veldhouse





  • Similar Threads