Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 100
  1. #16
    The Real Bev
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger

    Bob Ward wrote:
    >
    > On Fri, 06 May 2005 18:03:12 -0700, The Real Bev
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Worst ever was CompUSA -- They played over and over again that already
    > >annoying commercial that mocked the poor sap on hold for customer service.
    > >Seemed almost willfully antagonistic. I should get a speakerphone so I didn't
    > >have to sit there holding the stupid phone, but I don't remember seeing
    > >cordless speakerphones...

    >
    > They say the memory is the first thing to go...
    >
    > http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=0&dcaid=17379
    >
    > or http://tinyurl.com/b5n9x


    ....at yard sales :-) That looks nice. Maybe I'll see something like that
    tomorrow.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev
    =====================================================
    It's 95% of the lawyers making the other 5% look bad.



    See More: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger




  2. #17
    The Real Bev
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger

    George wrote:
    >
    > [email protected] says...
    >
    > > Make sure that the number they assign you is a local
    > > number (NO CHARGE) from whatever phone you want to use
    > > to check your voicemail. They think that everything in
    > > one area code is a local number make sure you check
    > > unless you want to spend air minutes or pay "local long
    > > distance" charges :-(

    >
    > And how do you check on that? Do they have a way to look
    > that up, or do you have to research it on your own? I don't
    > think I know how to find out what cellphone numbers are
    > local to me.


    Around here you dial 0 and ask the nice lady if 626 328 is a free call from
    626 289. SBC has a web page:
    http://localcalling.sbc.com/LCA/DispatchServlet#listing

    They used to have this information in the phone book, but I guess the CPR
    instructions (yeah, the phone book is the first place I'd check in an
    emergency, wouldn't you?) are more important than actual phone information.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev
    =====================================================
    It's 95% of the lawyers making the other 5% look bad.



  3. #18
    The Real Bev
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger

    "Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!!" wrote:
    >
    > I am SO glad about the merger. Before Cingular, I would rarely get any
    > signals near my home or any rural areas with AT&T. With the superior
    > Cingular network, signals are plenty strong everywhere.


    Hmph. With AT&T/Cingular/callplus/pharos I can get minimal signal in my home
    half the time -- the rest of the time there's no signal. If I go out to the
    sidewalk I get two more bars. I live 1/4 mile from a goddam freeway with full
    coverage. Moreover, I can't get a cordless signal in the back yard, although
    I can walk half a block away from my house and hear just fine.

    > The best pay-as-you-go service is Tracfone. You can get a free phone
    > and a year's worth of service and 250 min for around $100. Switch your
    > number and get additional 100 minutes free.


    So if you keep switching numbers you keep stacking up the minutes? Cool!

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev
    =====================================================
    It's 95% of the lawyers making the other 5% look bad.



  4. #19
    Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!!
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger

    Well, before the merger, I got *0* bars in my neighborhood. Couldn't
    make a single call for a whole year. After the merger, I can even make
    a call inside a freezer in a S&F.

    You get 100 free minutes when you switch numbers from another carrier.




  5. #20
    Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!!
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger

    I had Tracfone couple years ago. Got a free phone and 1 year service
    for $74. It's actually 14 months because the phone comes with free
    minutes and bonus minutes for activating online, which I used first two
    months, before activating the 1 year card.




  6. #21
    Bill
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger



    "Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!!" wrote:
    >
    > Well, before the merger, I got *0* bars in my neighborhood. Couldn't
    > make a single call for a whole year. After the merger, I can even make
    > a call inside a freezer in a S&F.
    >
    > You get 100 free minutes when you switch numbers from another carrier.


    Seems strange that the merger would help TDMA signals, since
    Cingular was all GSM, which is what AT&T was switching to. Now,
    if you were an AT&T GSM customer, I could see how the addition
    of Cingular's towers would help.

    BTW the problem with continuing with Free2Go or one of the
    resellers is that Cingular obviously has little interest in
    maintaining the TDMA network, and complaints about poor service
    will fall on deaf ears.

    Bill



  7. #22
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger

    Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
    >With the old Free2Go service and $10 refill cards, you could get
    >a year of service and 160 minutes for $40. For many people that
    >was more than enough.


    Can still get that with CallPlus, been using them for years.




  8. #23
    bamp
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger


    "Bob Ward" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news[email protected]
    > On Fri, 06 May 2005 18:03:12 -0700, The Real Bev
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Worst ever was CompUSA -- They played over and over again that already
    >>annoying commercial that mocked the poor sap on hold for customer service.
    >>Seemed almost willfully antagonistic. I should get a speakerphone so I
    >>didn't
    >>have to sit there holding the stupid phone, but I don't remember seeing
    >>cordless speakerphones...

    >
    >
    > They say the memory is the first thing to go...
    >
    > http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=0&dcaid=17379
    >
    > or http://tinyurl.com/b5n9x


    Memory is the second thing to go!!!

    bamp





  9. #24
    John S
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger


    "Jonathan Kamens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > In short, after the merger the prepaid account costs 150% more
    > than it did before the merger.
    >
    > I see other postings about this, but I don't see anything
    > which makes it perfectly clear just how badly they've screwed
    > over occasional users with this change. Outrageous!


    I am sure that they are trying to push the "Go Phone" which had it's prices
    left alone and in a couple of instances, made better. Also, I think that the
    Free 2 Go plan is TDMA and the Go Phone is GSM. I suspect that that might
    also have something to do with it.

    > Yes, sir, these mega-mergers sure do benefit the consumer! If
    > you believe that, I've got some nice land in Florida I'd like
    > to sell you.


    You're just bitter because you bought that land from a large real estate
    company.





  10. #25
    John S
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger


    "Bob Ward" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 6 May 2005 10:47:10 -0700, "Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >>I would go to http://www.ftc.gov/ and file a complaint.
    >>
    >>This certainly is an example of what happens to consumers after a
    >>merger that no one seems to notice.

    >
    >
    > I doubt that the FTC would force the company to provide service at a
    > cost that exeeds the revenues from that service.


    I DOUBT that either the FTC or the FCC (previously mentioned) would care one
    way or the other. Things like "Beat Feet" come to mind. Find something that
    is better for you either financially or mentally.





  11. #26
    John S
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger


    "Richie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The reason is that no one wants to supply this service is because
    > Wall-Street analysts look at average revenue per line. There is not much
    > marginal cost to provide prepaid service but it pulls down that critical
    > ratio.


    Carriers make a log of money on Pre-Paid. They always get all their money up
    front and a lot of customers NEVER use all the alotted minutes in the period
    of time that they are for. It's like getting something for nothing for the
    carriers.

    > In other countries where people mostly use prepaid, the carriers are very
    > profitable selling prepaid mobile services. But the financial parameters
    > are different there.


    A lot of the other countries don't have the built in banking/credit system
    that we have and thus they use the PAYGO system.





  12. #27
    Bob Ward
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger

    On Sat, 7 May 2005 09:34:03 -0500, "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet>
    wrote:

    >
    >"Bob Ward" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news[email protected]
    >> On Fri, 06 May 2005 18:03:12 -0700, The Real Bev
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Worst ever was CompUSA -- They played over and over again that already
    >>>annoying commercial that mocked the poor sap on hold for customer service.
    >>>Seemed almost willfully antagonistic. I should get a speakerphone so I
    >>>didn't
    >>>have to sit there holding the stupid phone, but I don't remember seeing
    >>>cordless speakerphones...

    >>
    >>
    >> They say the memory is the first thing to go...
    >>
    >> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=0&dcaid=17379
    >>
    >> or http://tinyurl.com/b5n9x

    >
    >Memory is the second thing to go!!!
    >
    >bamp
    >



    I'd forgotten that.





  13. #28
    The Real Bev
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger

    The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    > Bob Ward wrote:
    > >
    > > On Fri, 06 May 2005 18:03:12 -0700, The Real Bev
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Worst ever was CompUSA -- They played over and over again that already
    > > >annoying commercial that mocked the poor sap on hold for customer service.
    > > >Seemed almost willfully antagonistic. I should get a speakerphone so I didn't
    > > >have to sit there holding the stupid phone, but I don't remember seeing
    > > >cordless speakerphones...

    > >
    > > They say the memory is the first thing to go...
    > > http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=0&dcaid=17379
    > >
    > > or http://tinyurl.com/b5n9x

    >
    > ...at yard sales :-) That looks nice. Maybe I'll see something like that
    > tomorrow.


    Got a $2 Panasonic cordless speakerphone today with two lines and callerID
    (both useless). Works, but the volume on the handset is too low to be
    useful. I can hook it up in parallel with the other phone and only use the
    speaker when I need to. Maybe the handset will improve as it charges...

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev
    =====================================================
    It's 95% of the lawyers making the other 5% look bad.



  14. #29
    Bill
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger



    bamp wrote:

    > Memory is the second thing to go!!!
    >
    > bamp


    Yes, but I forget what the the first was.

    Bill



  15. #30
    Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!!
    Guest

    Re: Cingular screws over AT&T Free2Go customers after merger

    I have an old Panasonic cordless with speakerphone on the base and the
    handset. It's about 5 years old.




  • Similar Threads




  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast