Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Interpage Network Services Inc.
    Guest
    I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here or not yet (a cursory glance at
    the recent threads didn't turn up anything), but Thursday eve two weeks ago,
    6/2/2005, the CT State Senate voted in favor of a ban on the use of
    cellphones while driving unless a headset is worn.

    It has been reported that Gov. Rell plans to sign the (IMO) ill-conceived
    bill and make CT the second (or third, depending on how you look at NJ's
    law) state to enact this sort of silly, heavy-handed, and paternalistic
    legislation which will likely result in more severe distractions (and thus
    potentially more harmful accidents) than the "problem" which it attempts to
    cure.

    I've set up an "Action Alert" on an older demo system which we have which
    allows respondents to enter their name, e-mail and/or postal address (maybe
    Gov. Rell will write back? ), and immediately send out a pre-written fax
    in opposition to the ban.

    If you prefer, the letter may be edited/customized/augmented to make it more
    personal and thus more closely reflect your own viewpoint.

    To send Gov. Rell a letter about the ban which urges her to veto it, please
    go to:

    Residents of CT: http://www.lobbybyfax.com/lobby/sele...asp?alertid=26
    Non-Residents : http://www.lobbybyfax.com/lobby/sele...asp?alertid=27

    If the above URL's do not get you to the correct page (VERY old browsers may
    have trouble with the direct link, and some devices with Palm OS don't seem
    to be able to connect there), you can go to http://www.lobbybyfax.com and
    select the appropriate ID from the main page. (I'll put it ahead of all the
    other test and demo alerts which we currently have.)

    When you get to the correct alert, select "Connecticut" from the drop-down
    menu (the other states are obviously not relevant here as they may be in
    more nationally-oriented alerts), check the "Gov Jodi Rell" box (it is the
    only box in this specific alert since she is the only person who we are
    faxing to), and press "Next". You may then send the letter as is, or edit it
    as you wish, and when done, click "Next" again, and it will be immediately
    faxed to the Governor's office.

    A few notes:

    1. This is an older, demo lobby/alert system with a generic front/main page,
    and some
    other alerts as well. Feel free to respond to them but we allow only a few
    per week per person so make sure you do the CT Cellphone Ban one first!

    2. We filter out any/all inappropriate language.

    3. This is a public service (or a self-serving public service ), but it
    really has nothing to do with Interpage NSI other than no one here likes
    cellphone bans or wires all over the car as a result of tangled headsets. It
    may not be up all the time, and it may not work as fast as production
    models. (Hey, the paying customers get priority! )

    4. We do not sell, solicit, spam or pay much attention to who you are or
    your e-mail address. This really is for free and we will never contact you,
    that is, this is not some attempt to get valid e-mail addresses to sell to
    spammers. We also don't benefit financially from the veto, but the roads of
    CT may be safer since I'll only be looking over my shoulder SOME of the
    time - at exists - to watch out for speed traps, rather than ALL of the
    time lokking for "cellphone police" at every street corner if the bill
    passes!

    ANYHOW, I know it's a long shot, but it's free and maybe if a sufficient
    number of people respond the Governor will take notice and realize that
    passing the bill may not go as un-noticed as she seems to hope it will.

    Good luck!

    Regards,

    -Doug

    http://www.interpage.net
    (510) 315-2750

    With any luck this post should also appear on an archive of all my other
    ramblings about nothing of importance at:
    http://www.wirelessnotes.org






    See More: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell




  2. #2
    Notan
    Guest

    Re: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell

    "Interpage Network Services Inc." wrote:
    >
    > I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here or not yet (a cursory glance at
    > the recent threads didn't turn up anything), but Thursday eve two weeks ago,
    > 6/2/2005, the CT State Senate voted in favor of a ban on the use of
    > cellphones while driving unless a headset is worn.
    >
    > It has been reported that Gov. Rell plans to sign the (IMO) ill-conceived
    > bill and make CT the second (or third, depending on how you look at NJ's
    > law) state to enact this sort of silly, heavy-handed, and paternalistic
    > legislation which will likely result in more severe distractions (and thus
    > potentially more harmful accidents) than the "problem" which it attempts to
    > cure.
    >
    > <snip>


    Would you mind explaining why using headsets "will likely result in more
    severe distractions (and thus potentially more harmful accidents) than
    the 'problem' which it attempts to cure?"

    Personally, I like having two hands available to drive.

    Notan



  3. #3
    Jeff P
    Guest

    Re: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell


    "Notan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > Would you mind explaining why using headsets "will likely result in more
    > severe distractions (and thus potentially more harmful accidents) than
    > the 'problem' which it attempts to cure?"
    >
    > Personally, I like having two hands available to drive.
    >
    > Notan


    Personally I feel that at some point in time any driver will find themselves
    distracted by something or other, whether it be a cell phone or their
    beverage, french frieds, women doing make-up (which really scares me), a kid
    in the vehicle misbehaving, or even something unexpected outside the car
    that catches their attention. I have never had a problem driving my car
    while using my cell phone. But, I am not stupid about it. I don't make a
    call when I encounter traffic or need both hands on the wheel. I only use it
    when I am on the clear open road. If I'm in a call and something requires
    quick response in driving, I put the priority where it belongs and if need
    be drop the phone because safety is more important.

    In my opinion, demonstrating the ability to drive safely while being
    distracted by some object such as a cell phone is something that ought to be
    required during a driver's test before getting a license. If you can't steer
    while distracted by something like a cell phone, then you can't safely drive
    because there will eventually be some similar distraction that will come up
    at some point in time. I'm not afraid of people who know how to drive with a
    cell phone, but I am afraid of people who don't know how to handle such a
    situation but have a drivers license anyway.

    -Jeff





  4. #4
    Notan
    Guest

    Re: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell

    Jeff P wrote:
    >
    > "Notan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Would you mind explaining why using headsets "will likely result in more
    > > severe distractions (and thus potentially more harmful accidents) than
    > > the 'problem' which it attempts to cure?"
    > >
    > > Personally, I like having two hands available to drive.
    > >
    > > Notan

    >
    > Personally I feel that at some point in time any driver will find themselves
    > distracted by something or other, whether it be a cell phone or their
    > beverage, french frieds, women doing make-up (which really scares me), a kid
    > in the vehicle misbehaving, or even something unexpected outside the car
    > that catches their attention. I have never had a problem driving my car
    > while using my cell phone. But, I am not stupid about it. I don't make a
    > call when I encounter traffic or need both hands on the wheel. I only use it
    > when I am on the clear open road. If I'm in a call and something requires
    > quick response in driving, I put the priority where it belongs and if need
    > be drop the phone because safety is more important.
    >
    > In my opinion, demonstrating the ability to drive safely while being
    > distracted by some object such as a cell phone is something that ought to be
    > required during a driver's test before getting a license. If you can't steer
    > while distracted by something like a cell phone, then you can't safely drive
    > because there will eventually be some similar distraction that will come up
    > at some point in time. I'm not afraid of people who know how to drive with a
    > cell phone, but I am afraid of people who don't know how to handle such a
    > situation but have a drivers license anyway.


    OK, a few <not so> hypothetical situations...

    You've got one hand on the wheel... If you're holding the cell phone
    with the other hand, how do you operate your directionals?

    You've got both hands on the wheel, and you're using your shoulder
    to keep your phone against your ear... How do you turn to see if
    there's any other cars, before changing lanes?

    Etc., etc., etc.

    Notan



  5. #5
    Garner Miller
    Guest

    Re: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell

    In article <[email protected]>, Notan <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    > You've got one hand on the wheel... If you're holding the cell phone
    > with the other hand, how do you operate your directionals?


    You've never driven in New England, have you? <grin>

    > You've got both hands on the wheel, and you're using your shoulder
    > to keep your phone against your ear... How do you turn to see if
    > there's any other cars, before changing lanes?


    As with the turn signals, a turn of the head will give away your
    strategy, and the other drivers will accelerate to block your lane
    change. You must give no indications to the other drivers of your
    intent.

    (I kid, I kid.)

    Here's a post from James Atkinson that I found a while back, that may
    help shed some light on the subject:


    Massachusetts Driving Rules:

    1. A right lane construction closure is just a game to see how
    many people can cut in line by passing you on the right as you
    sit in the left lane waiting for the same drivers to squeeze
    their way back in before hitting the orange construction
    barrels.

    2. Turn signals will give away your next move. A real
    Massachusetts driver never uses them. Use of them in Boston may
    be illegal.

    3. Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance
    between you and the car in front of you, or the space will be
    filled in by somebody else putting you in an even more dangerous
    situation.

    4. Crossing two or more lanes in a single lane-change is
    considered "going with the flow."

    5. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the
    chance you have of getting hit.

    6. Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive
    bodywork. Massachusetts is a no-fault insurance states and the
    other driver has nothing to lose.

    7. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure
    that your ABS kicks in, giving a nice, relaxing foot massage as
    the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a
    chance to stretch your legs.

    8. Construction signs warn you about road closures immediately
    after you pass the last exit before the backup.

    9. The new electronic traffic warning system signs are not there
    to provide useful information. They are only there to make
    Massachusetts look high-tech and to distract you from seeing the
    State Police Radar car parked on the median.

    10. Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right.

    11. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as
    suggestions and are apparently not enforceable during rush hour.

    12. Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to
    speed up or move over doesn't mean that a Mass driver flashing
    his high beams behind you doesn't think he can go faster in your
    spot.

    13. Please remember that New Hampshire is the Granite State,
    named so for a reason. Try to stay on the road.

    14. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or
    even if someone is just changing a tire.

    15. Throwing litter on the roads adds variety to the landscape
    and gives Adopt-a-Highway Crews something to clean up.

    16. It is assumed that State Police cars passing at high speed
    may be followed in the event you need to make up a few minutes
    in your travel.

    17. Learn to swerve abruptly. Massachusetts is the home of
    high-speed slalom driving thanks to DOT, which places potholes
    in various locations to test drivers' reflexes.

    18. It is traditional in Massachusetts to honk your horn at cars
    that don't move the instant the light changes.

    19. Seeking eye contact with another driver revokes your right
    of way, except in Boston where it acts as an invitation to duel
    or play chicken.

    20. Never take a green light at face value. Always look right
    and left before proceeding. (In Maine it is allowed to stop and
    then decide which direction to turn.)

    21. Remember that the goal of every Massachusetts driver is to
    get there first, by whatever means necessary.

    22. Real Massachusetts female drivers can put on pantyhose,
    apply eye makeup and balance the checkbook at seventy-five miles
    per hour during a snowstorm in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

    23. Real Massachusetts male drivers can remove pantyhose and a
    bra at seventy-five miles per hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic
    during daylight hours.

    24. Heavy snow, ice, fog, and rain are no reasons to change any
    of the previously listed rules. These weather conditions are
    God's way of ensuring a natural selection process for body
    shops,junk yards, and new vehicle sales.

    --
    Garner R. Miller
    Clifton Park, NY =USA=



  6. #6
    Notan
    Guest

    Re: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell

    Garner Miller wrote:
    >
    > Here's a post from James Atkinson that I found a while back, that may
    > help shed some light on the subject:
    >
    > <snip>


    Thanks for the early morning laughs... I'll be sure to pass them on! <g>

    Notan



  7. #7
    Steve Sobol
    Guest

    Re: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell

    Notan wrote:

    > You've got one hand on the wheel... If you're holding the cell phone
    > with the other hand, how do you operate your directionals?


    Quite often I just use my pinky to flick the turn-signal stalk in the proper
    direction.

    > You've got both hands on the wheel, and you're using your shoulder
    > to keep your phone against your ear... How do you turn to see if
    > there's any other cars, before changing lanes?


    That's what handsfrees are for. I haven't seen the details yet, so I don't
    know whether CT bans cell use even with handsfrees.

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / [email protected] / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    Coming to you from Southern California's High Desert, where the
    temperatures are as high as the gas prices! / 888.480.4NET (4638)

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"



  8. #8
    (PeteCresswell)
    Guest

    Re: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell

    Per Notan:
    >Would you mind explaining why using headsets "will likely result in more
    >severe distractions (and thus potentially more harmful accidents) than
    >the 'problem' which it attempts to cure?"


    I'm not the OP, but my gut reaction is that anything that suggests to the public
    that trying to drive while immersed in a cellphone conversation is even remotely
    acceptable behavior increases the total danger.

    More people yaking and trying to drive ===> more accidents.

    Although, to tell the truth, I've become kind of jaded about cellphone users by
    now. When I see somebody wandering back-and-forth across the line or varying
    their speed between 58 and 63 - towing their own little personal traffic jam in
    a lane that would otherwise be moving at 70-75 I realize what's probably going
    on and just give them a wide berth.

    Nowadays it's the ones doing email on their blackberries or smartphones that
    *really* scare me.
    --
    PeteCresswell



  9. #9
    (PeteCresswell)
    Guest

    Re: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell

    Per Garner Miller:
    >>
    >> You've got one hand on the wheel... If you're holding the cell phone
    >> with the other hand, how do you operate your directionals?

    >
    >You've never driven in New England, have you? <grin>


    Or Pennsylvania...or New Jersey.... -)
    --
    PeteCresswell



  10. #10
    Jeff P
    Guest

    Re: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell


    "Notan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Jeff P wrote:
    >
    > OK, a few <not so> hypothetical situations...
    >
    > You've got one hand on the wheel... If you're holding the cell phone
    > with the other hand, how do you operate your directionals?
    >
    > You've got both hands on the wheel, and you're using your shoulder
    > to keep your phone against your ear... How do you turn to see if
    > there's any other cars, before changing lanes?
    >
    > Etc., etc., etc.
    >
    > Notan


    Look, probably 90% of the time I am not on the phone while I drive. But even
    when I'm not on the phone it doesn't mean I drive with two hands. I don't
    know why you think we need two hands to drive a car. Sure, when the moment
    requires it I will grab the wheel with both hands. But, typically driving is
    boring enough to not require both hands. I'm just going down the road. On a
    nice day I might roll the window down and sit my arm out in the breeze a bit
    and steer with my right hand. Or, I might steer with my left hand and rest
    my other hand on the console or something else for a bit just to break up
    the monotany.

    When I need to use a turning signal, all I have to do is flick the turning
    signal with my finger. I don't need two hands on the wheel to use a turning
    signal. I usually will grab the wheel with both hands while I am steering
    around a corner, but I usually don't make phone calls when I'm going around
    a corner either. When I went through drivers training many years ago, one of
    the fellow student drivers in my vehcile only had one arm--her right arm.
    The school attempted to affix some type of device to the turning signal so
    that it would be on the right side of the wheel where she could reach it.
    Unfortunately it didn't fit properly and fell off. She had no problems
    operating the car including the turning signal with nothing but her right
    hand. If she can drive safely with just her right hand, I can drive safely
    with either hand available and/or switching between them.

    Also I don't know about you, but I hold my cell phone to my ear, not my eye.
    It doesn't block my vision. Maybe it is time you upgrade to one of the newer
    smaller ones instead of your old bag phone.

    -Jeff





  11. #11
    Notan
    Guest

    Re: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell

    Jeff P wrote:
    >
    > "Notan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Jeff P wrote:
    > >
    > > OK, a few <not so> hypothetical situations...
    > >
    > > You've got one hand on the wheel... If you're holding the cell phone
    > > with the other hand, how do you operate your directionals?
    > >
    > > You've got both hands on the wheel, and you're using your shoulder
    > > to keep your phone against your ear... How do you turn to see if
    > > there's any other cars, before changing lanes?
    > >
    > > Etc., etc., etc.
    > >
    > > Notan

    >
    > Look, probably 90% of the time I am not on the phone while I drive. But even
    > when I'm not on the phone it doesn't mean I drive with two hands. I don't
    > know why you think we need two hands to drive a car. Sure, when the moment
    > requires it I will grab the wheel with both hands. But, typically driving is
    > boring enough to not require both hands. I'm just going down the road. On a
    > nice day I might roll the window down and sit my arm out in the breeze a bit
    > and steer with my right hand. Or, I might steer with my left hand and rest
    > my other hand on the console or something else for a bit just to break up
    > the monotany.
    >
    > When I need to use a turning signal, all I have to do is flick the turning
    > signal with my finger. I don't need two hands on the wheel to use a turning
    > signal. I usually will grab the wheel with both hands while I am steering
    > around a corner, but I usually don't make phone calls when I'm going around
    > a corner either. When I went through drivers training many years ago, one of
    > the fellow student drivers in my vehcile only had one arm--her right arm.
    > The school attempted to affix some type of device to the turning signal so
    > that it would be on the right side of the wheel where she could reach it.
    > Unfortunately it didn't fit properly and fell off. She had no problems
    > operating the car including the turning signal with nothing but her right
    > hand. If she can drive safely with just her right hand, I can drive safely
    > with either hand available and/or switching between them.
    >
    > Also I don't know about you, but I hold my cell phone to my ear, not my eye.
    > It doesn't block my vision. Maybe it is time you upgrade to one of the newer
    > smaller ones instead of your old bag phone.


    I never said "both hands on the wheel."

    Notan



  12. #12
    Jeff P
    Guest

    Re: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell


    "Notan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Jeff P wrote:
    >
    > I never said "both hands on the wheel."
    >
    > Notan


    None the less I explained how I am able to operate the turning signal with
    my fingers while only using the same hand I am steering with. So what more
    could I explain to you?

    -Jeff





  13. #13
    Notan
    Guest

    Re: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell

    Jeff P wrote:
    >
    > "Notan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Jeff P wrote:
    > >
    > > I never said "both hands on the wheel."
    > >
    > > Notan

    >
    > None the less I explained how I am able to operate the turning signal with
    > my fingers while only using the same hand I am steering with. So what more
    > could I explain to you?


    Which hand do you use to change radio stations? For a lot of people,
    I've seen, their cell phone is their priority and, consequently,
    they use their "steering" hand.

    To me, it's just another example of Darwin at his best.

    Notan



  14. #14
    Mij Adyaw
    Guest

    Re: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell

    Mee too.

    "Notan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Interpage Network Services Inc." wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here or not yet (a cursory glance
    >> at
    >> the recent threads didn't turn up anything), but Thursday eve two weeks
    >> ago,
    >> 6/2/2005, the CT State Senate voted in favor of a ban on the use of
    >> cellphones while driving unless a headset is worn.
    >>
    >> It has been reported that Gov. Rell plans to sign the (IMO) ill-conceived
    >> bill and make CT the second (or third, depending on how you look at NJ's
    >> law) state to enact this sort of silly, heavy-handed, and paternalistic
    >> legislation which will likely result in more severe distractions (and
    >> thus
    >> potentially more harmful accidents) than the "problem" which it attempts
    >> to
    >> cure.
    >>
    >> <snip>

    >
    > Would you mind explaining why using headsets "will likely result in more
    > severe distractions (and thus potentially more harmful accidents) than
    > the 'problem' which it attempts to cure?"
    >
    > Personally, I like having two hands available to drive.
    >
    > Notan






  15. #15
    Jeff P
    Guest

    Re: Connecticut Cellphone Ban -- Letter to Gov. Rell


    "Notan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Jeff P wrote:
    >
    > Which hand do you use to change radio stations? For a lot of people,
    > I've seen, their cell phone is their priority and, consequently,
    > they use their "steering" hand.
    >
    > To me, it's just another example of Darwin at his best.
    >
    > Notan


    I can't imagine myself changing the radio station while talking on the phone
    while driving. I always turn the radio volume down before I answer the phone
    or before I place a call, and turn the volume back up after I have ended the
    call. I do not use my steering hand to fuss with the radio stations and
    certainly not while I'm on the phone.

    That said, there are times while I'm driving in which NO hands are on the
    wheel. Unless your car is seriously out of alignment, this is perfectly safe
    to do as long as you can see the road and monitor where your car is going,
    and be available to make corrections as priority if necessary. So as far as
    I'm concerned I could care less what hand somebody uses or if they even have
    any hands on the wheel. For that matter I could care less whether they are
    even in their car or if it is being driven via some rediculus remote control
    setup. As long as they stay in their own lane, they signal before turning,
    don't rear end anybody, and obey traffic rules I could really care less how
    they go about it.

    What frightens me is that there are a lot of bubble-heads out there who
    "think" that they can balance the skills of driving a car and talking on the
    phone but really they can't. These are the same people who can't walk and
    chew gum at the same time. Those are the ones I am afraid of. I think
    everybody should be required to demonstrate during their drivers test that
    they can safely operate a vehicle while being distracted by some form of
    object, such as a cell phone. If they are capable of handling it safely
    without interferance of their driving, then give them a license and let them
    do it all they want. If are unable to safely operate the vehicle then they
    shouldn't have a license at all because you know darned well that such
    bubble heads are going to find something to distract themselves at some
    point in time which will take as much attention away from their inability to
    drive as a cell phone would. Those are the people that I'm afraid of.

    I think if we pulled the licenses of all of the people who are unable to
    drive while using a cell phone or similar object, the roads would be much
    safer--even if everybody else were using their cell phone all of the time.

    -Jeff





  • Similar Threads




  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast