Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Flec
    Guest
    Per the subject. When does Vodafone plan to close down their 2G network?

    Thanks,

    Derick





    See More: When will Vodafone 2G close down




  2. #2
    Rod Speed
    Guest

    Re: When will Vodafone 2G close down

    Flec <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Per the subject. When does Vodafone plan to close down their 2G network?


    There are no such plans.





  3. #3
    Simon Templar
    Guest

    Re: When will Vodafone 2G close down

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > Flec <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Per the subject. When does Vodafone plan to close down their 2G network?

    >
    > There are no such plans.


    Why would they want to shut down 2G? There are so many phones out there
    that will continue to be used for many years that only operate on 2G,
    they would be foolish to consider it any time soon.


    --
    The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
    belong to.

    73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
    <http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=157452>



  4. #4
    Nole Boaday
    Guest

    Re: When will Vodafone 2G close down

    When hell freezes over.

    Flec wrote:
    > Per the subject. When does Vodafone plan to close down their 2G network?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Derick





  5. #5
    Flec
    Guest

    Re: When will Vodafone 2G close down


    "Nole Boaday" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > When hell freezes over.
    >
    > Flec wrote:
    >> Per the subject. When does Vodafone plan to close down their 2G network?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Derick

    >


    Thanks





  6. #6
    Paul Day
    Guest

    Re: When will Vodafone 2G close down

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:32:31 +0930 Flec may have written:
    > Per the subject. When does Vodafone plan to close down their 2G network?


    They don't publicly.

    Probably when it becomes commercially viable. ie, the cost of
    maintaining the legacy 2/2.5/2.75G network on top of their
    yet-to-be-deployed full-coverage 3G network is higher than the revenue
    from customers with legacy GSM-only handsets.

    Probably at least five years away...

    PD

    --
    Paul Day



  7. #7
    Rod Speed
    Guest

    Re: When will Vodafone 2G close down

    Paul Day <[email protected]> wrote
    > Flec wrote


    >> Per the subject. When does Vodafone plan to close down their 2G network?


    > They don't publicly.


    > Probably when it becomes commercially viable. ie, the cost
    > of maintaining the legacy 2/2.5/2.75G network on top of their
    > yet-to-be-deployed full-coverage 3G network is higher than
    > the revenue from customers with legacy GSM-only handsets.


    Doubt that will ever happen given that vodafone tends
    to concentrate on the dregs of the mobile market.

    > Probably at least five years away...


    Doubt it will happen any decade soon myself.

    2G suits so many fine.





  8. #8
    Michael J
    Guest

    Re: When will Vodafone 2G close down


    >> Probably at least five years away...

    >
    > Doubt it will happen any decade soon myself.
    >
    > 2G suits so many fine.


    I'd be saying >5 years, but it could be decades.

    and 2G does suit MOST fine, in fact almost all
    >
    >






  9. #9
    Simon Templar
    Guest

    Re: When will Vodafone 2G close down

    Michael J wrote:
    > I'd be saying >5 years, but it could be decades.
    >
    > and 2G does suit MOST fine, in fact almost all


    Exactly, most people only ever make voice calls and maybe SMS. They
    have absolutely no need for 3G, as long as their phone continues to work
    they will be more than happy to keep it.


    --
    The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
    belong to.

    73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
    <http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=157452>



  10. #10
    Rod Speed
    Guest

    Re: When will Vodafone 2G close down

    Michael J <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> Probably at least five years away...


    >> Doubt it will happen any decade soon myself.


    >> 2G suits so many fine.


    > I'd be saying >5 years,


    Cant see it, particularly with vodafone that concentrates
    on the absolute dregs of the mobile market.

    > but it could be decades.


    > and 2G does suit MOST fine, in fact almost all


    And specially the dregs of the market that vodafone mostly concentrates on in spades.





  11. #11
    Rod Speed
    Guest

    Re: When will Vodafone 2G close down

    Simon Templar <[email protected]> wrote
    > Michael J wrote


    >> I'd be saying >5 years, but it could be decades.


    >> and 2G does suit MOST fine, in fact almost all


    > Exactly, most people only ever make voice calls and maybe SMS. They have absolutely no need for
    > 3G, as long as their phone continues to work they will be more than happy to keep it.


    Vodafone mostly concentrates on the dregs of the market that turns over their phones
    at one hell of a rate, but who do want the cheapest phone around much of the time.





  12. #12
    Michael J
    Guest

    Re: When will Vodafone 2G close down


    "Rod Speed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Michael J <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>>> Probably at least five years away...

    >
    >>> Doubt it will happen any decade soon myself.

    >
    >>> 2G suits so many fine.

    >
    >> I'd be saying >5 years,

    >
    > Cant see it, particularly with vodafone that concentrates
    > on the absolute dregs of the mobile market.


    I'm not saying its going to happen, but if it does, its going to be >5
    years. I cant see where Voda would get the cash for it, and to make it
    profitable

    >> but it could be decades.

    >
    >> and 2G does suit MOST fine, in fact almost all

    >
    > And specially the dregs of the market that vodafone mostly concentrates on
    > in spades.


    And perversely, they concentrate on the other end (high end) too

    >
    >






  13. #13
    Rod Speed
    Guest

    Re: When will Vodafone 2G close down

    Michael J <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Michael J <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>>> Probably at least five years away...

    >>
    >>>> Doubt it will happen any decade soon myself.

    >>
    >>>> 2G suits so many fine.

    >>
    >>> I'd be saying >5 years,

    >>
    >> Cant see it, particularly with vodafone that concentrates
    >> on the absolute dregs of the mobile market.

    >
    > I'm not saying its going to happen, but if it does, its going to be >5
    > years. I cant see where Voda would get the cash for it, and to make it
    > profitable
    >
    >>> but it could be decades.

    >>
    >>> and 2G does suit MOST fine, in fact almost all

    >>
    >> And specially the dregs of the market that vodafone mostly
    >> concentrates on in spades.

    >
    > And perversely, they concentrate on the other end (high end) too


    Not really, they never have done much except try in that market.





  • Similar Threads