1. #1
    jandcpenzone
    jandcpenzone is offline
    Newbie

    Posts
    1
    my 1 year old played with my phone and i cant use it now. it says car kit under the date. what did she do? how do i fix it??


    See More: car kit???




  2. #2
    spum
    spum is offline
    Random News Bot
    spum's Avatar

    Posts
    757 - liked 16 times

    Re: car kit???

    Car kit usually means user damage. More often than not, it means water damage. I would guess that your one year old slobbered on the wrong parts of the phone and damaged it. Or maybe she sucked on the mic and damaged that. In any case, you're pretty much SOL unless you can find a technician to fix it.



  3. #3
    teamneon
    teamneon is offline
    www.BigWireless.us
    teamneon's Avatar

    Cell Phone
    LG Ally
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    279 - liked 13 times

    Re: car kit???

    take a hair dryer to the charging port.....
    She probably slipped some nice slobber in there for you.
    Car kit is a wet charging port 90% of the time. Its actually shorting those contacts together to make the phone "think" its actually in a car kit, which disables the microphone and speakers.



  4. #4
    teamneon
    teamneon is offline
    www.BigWireless.us
    teamneon's Avatar

    Cell Phone
    LG Ally
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    279 - liked 13 times

    Re: car kit???

    darn you spum, turbo typin fool



  5. #5
    spum
    spum is offline
    Random News Bot
    spum's Avatar

    Posts
    757 - liked 16 times

    Re: car kit???

    I called the techs at LG the first time I saw this, and they told me that the "car kit" doesn't have anything to do with it being hooked up in a car. There is no setting to turn it on or off. That's what tells the manufacturer that the user damaged the phone. It's helpful because a lot of LG phones don't have the water damage sticker on the back of the phone. Some of them have it on the battery, but it's pretty easy to switch out a battery. Some of the batteries came off the line pink as well so it's not necessarily accurate.



  6. #6
    spum
    spum is offline
    Random News Bot
    spum's Avatar

    Posts
    757 - liked 16 times

    Re: car kit???

    Quote Originally Posted by teamneon
    darn you spum, turbo typin fool



  7. #7
    karlg100
    karlg100 is offline
    Junior Member

    Posts
    12

    Re: car kit???

    Quote Originally Posted by spum
    I called the techs at LG the first time I saw this, and they told me that the "car kit" doesn't have anything to do with it being hooked up in a car. There is no setting to turn it on or off. That's what tells the manufacturer that the user damaged the phone. It's helpful because a lot of LG phones don't have the water damage sticker on the back of the phone. Some of them have it on the battery, but it's pretty easy to switch out a battery. Some of the batteries came off the line pink as well so it's not necessarily accurate.
    I wouldn't suggest a blow dryer. It would be way too easy to melt some of the plastic, plus the temp differential might crack an LCD.

    I've revived a few phones which took plunges in hot tubs, swimming pools, lakes and bathtubs by using the oven method. Take off the battery and towel dry it, and let it dry separately. Take the phone, open it up to the maximum if it has any moving parts. If the antenna screws off, take it off. Turn on your oven to the lowest setting. (i recommend an electric oven as it warms slower, gas oven may warm too quickly... NOT a toaster oven!) Put the phone in the dead middle of the oven facing up. LEAVE the door partly cracked (this is very important! most ovens have a cooling position for the door) and let it cook for 1-3 hours. keep an eye on it. It should never get too hot to touch. if it gets too hot, the plastic will begin to melt! i would suggest checking on it every 5 mins for the first 30, and then just periodically check it every 15 or so. Check it by stick your hand in the oven and touching the phone. Over time, the heat should dry it out enough for it to work, assuming there's not any blown circuits and it's just water and should also dry out our LCD displays. (you may be left with some residue on the inside of the displays, but there's nothing you can do about that, unless you take apart the phone and clean it) Let the phone completely cool down before reattaching the battery and turning it on.
    Last edited by karlg100; 08-13-2006 at 07:56 AM.



  • Similar Threads







  • Quick Reply Quick Reply

    If you are already a member, please login above.