fester99

I have posted on how to make your ringtones work but i felt i needed to streamline the info and make it more complete so i decided to make a How To for any one who is having trouble with this. I hope this makes it easy enough for everyone. Here it is Enjoy!!

How To:
    Make your own mp3 ringtones work on a Samsung Sgh-T809 Cell Phone

First you will need a few things:

1) An mp3 file you want to put as your ringer. I will assume you have already made a clip or cut your song to fit the 30 second ringtone length. You can have the whole mp3 on your phone but unless you will be using it in the mp3 player on the phone why waste the space. DON’T FORGET TO BACK UP YOUR FILE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING HERE. I have had no issues but don’t want to be blamed for lost files.
    2) A data cable (I don’t have Bluetooth on my computer so I have not tried this method)
    3) Of course your t809 with the TransFlash or MicroSD card inserted

Ok now lets start
    1. Find your mp3’s you want to use and make a new folder and copy all of the mp3s that you will use as ring tones to that folder. MAKE SURE TO COPY AND NOT MOVE THESE FILES.
    2. Navigate on your computer to that folder and right click and select new text document.
    3. Rename the new document something like “mp3 to 3gp conversion.bat” as long as you have the .bat extension you will be ok. A popup from windows will come up and say "if you change a file extension the file may become unusable" click ok.
    4. Now right click the new file and click “edit” DO NOT double click or right click open as you will not be able to do any thing with it.
    5. Now type this in REN *.3GP *.MP3 or you can cut and paste it This will allow this file to convert all of your .mp3 file extensions to a .3gp file extension, only within the folder it is in, DO NOT FOR ANY REASON PUT THIS IN YOUR MP3 FOLDER FOR YOUR MUSIC ONLY PUT IT IN THE FOLDER FOR MAKING YOUR RING TONES so it will work on the t809.
    6. Now save that file.
    7. Now simply double click on that file. As a note I have Microsoft anti-apyware and it pops up a warning about are you sure you want to run this script click yes. Basically what we are doing with this script is just renaming the extension to .3gp from .mp3 if you are not happy with this easy method you can do all of this work: you don’t have to do the following if you will be using the script we just made this is only for people who want to do it the hard way so if you will use the script we made just go to step 8.
    A. Assuming you are already in the folder with your mp3s to use as ring tones, go to folder options in the tools menu and click the view tab scroll down and make sure the box marked hide extensions for known file types is UNCHECKED then apply and click ok.
    B. Then go to the file you want to change and right click select rename and delete the .mp3 and put .3gp in its place, after doing this correctly windows will prompt "if you change a file extension the file may become unusable"
    C. Repeat step B for every mp3 file you want to change to 3gp
    8. Now that we have our mp3s renamed to 3gps we will set up the phone. On your phone we have to change the usb mode to “mass storage”
    A. Hit Menu
    B. Select Settings
    C. Select Phone Settings
    D. Select Usb settings
    E. Select Mass Storage
    9. Done with that now plug in your phone. I am assuming you have already set up your computer with the drivers and have hooked your phone up at least 1.
    10. Now select all of the files you want to transfer to the phone. Right click and choose “Send To” and you should have a removable disk there send them there. Or just drag and drop them onto your phone in windows explorer. Although it does not matter which directory you put the files in on the phone it is easier to have it organized so put it in the Music folder. Now it will be on the flash card in your phone. You can disconnect your phone now.
    11. Last step on your phone select your ringers as such
    A. Hit Menu
    B. Select Fun & Apps
    C. Select File Manager
    D. Select Memory Card
    E. Select the folder your music is in
    F. Highlight the file you want as a ringer
    G. Hit Options
    H. Select Set As
    I. And select what you want.

12. That’s it you are finished. Enjoy you new ring tones.

Sorry about the length of this I just wanted everyone to be able to do it. Even noobs.

See More: How To for ring tones on the t809

tasgul

thanx

hey
    i did chnge files from mp3 to 3gp n they worked as ringtones but how do i change the whole song in a 30 sec clip.

fester99

do you want to make a thirty second clip of the song is that what you are talking about??

tasgul

i actually found an mp3 splitter for this just want to knowwhich ones the best

fester99

i use sound forge 7 for editing my mp3s to a clip for a ringtone.

tasgul

thanx

thanx fester

tasgul

hey help

hi
    im trying to download videos but the fone's not reading them.
    can u tell me wht format they shd be in.

kenk2

Quote Originally Posted by fester99
    I have posted on how to make your ringtones work but i felt i needed to streamline the info and make it more complete so i decided to make a How To for any one who is having trouble with this. I hope this makes it easy enough for everyone. Here it is Enjoy!!

How To:
    Make your own mp3 ringtones work on a Samsung Sgh-T809 Cell Phone

First you will need a few things:

1) An mp3 file you want to put as your ringer. I will assume you have already made a clip or cut your song to fit the 30 second ringtone length. You can have the whole mp3 on your phone but unless you will be using it in the mp3 player on the phone why waste the space. DON’T FORGET TO BACK UP YOUR FILE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING HERE. I have had no issues but don’t want to be blamed for lost files.
    2) A data cable (I don’t have Bluetooth on my computer so I have not tried this method)
    3) Of course your t809 with the TransFlash or MicroSD card inserted

Ok now lets start
    1. Find your mp3’s you want to use and make a new folder and copy all of the mp3s that you will use as ring tones to that folder. MAKE SURE TO COPY AND NOT MOVE THESE FILES.
    2. Navigate on your computer to that folder and right click and select new text document.
    3. Rename the new document something like “mp3 to 3gp conversion.bat” as long as you have the .bat extension you will be ok. A popup from windows will come up and say "if you change a file extension the file may become unusable" click ok.
    4. Now right click the new file and click “edit” DO NOT double click or right click open as you will not be able to do any thing with it.
    5. Now type this in REN *.3GP *.MP3 or you can cut and paste it This will allow this file to convert all of your .mp3 file extensions to a .3gp file extension, only within the folder it is in, DO NOT FOR ANY REASON PUT THIS IN YOUR MP3 FOLDER FOR YOUR MUSIC ONLY PUT IT IN THE FOLDER FOR MAKING YOUR RING TONES so it will work on the t809.
    6. Now save that file.
    7. Now simply double click on that file. As a note I have Microsoft anti-apyware and it pops up a warning about are you sure you want to run this script click yes. Basically what we are doing with this script is just renaming the extension to .3gp from .mp3 if you are not happy with this easy method you can do all of this work: you don’t have to do the following if you will be using the script we just made this is only for people who want to do it the hard way so if you will use the script we made just go to step 8.
    A. Assuming you are already in the folder with your mp3s to use as ring tones, go to folder options in the tools menu and click the view tab scroll down and make sure the box marked hide extensions for known file types is UNCHECKED then apply and click ok.
    B. Then go to the file you want to change and right click select rename and delete the .mp3 and put .3gp in its place, after doing this correctly windows will prompt "if you change a file extension the file may become unusable"
    C. Repeat step B for every mp3 file you want to change to 3gp
    8. Now that we have our mp3s renamed to 3gps we will set up the phone. On your phone we have to change the usb mode to “mass storage”
    A. Hit Menu
    B. Select Settings
    C. Select Phone Settings
    D. Select Usb settings
    E. Select Mass Storage
    9. Done with that now plug in your phone. I am assuming you have already set up your computer with the drivers and have hooked your phone up at least 1.
    10. Now select all of the files you want to transfer to the phone. Right click and choose “Send To” and you should have a removable disk there send them there. Or just drag and drop them onto your phone in windows explorer. Although it does not matter which directory you put the files in on the phone it is easier to have it organized so put it in the Music folder. Now it will be on the flash card in your phone. You can disconnect your phone now.
    11. Last step on your phone select your ringers as such
    A. Hit Menu
    B. Select Fun & Apps
    C. Select File Manager
    D. Select Memory Card
    E. Select the folder your music is in
    F. Highlight the file you want as a ringer
    G. Hit Options
    H. Select Set As
    I. And select what you want.

12. That’s it you are finished. Enjoy you new ring tones.

Sorry about the length of this I just wanted everyone to be able to do it. Even noobs.

Dood.. This is Great! I was soo frustrated that I couldnt get my MP3's to be set as damn ringtones.. I was going to take the phone back too.. Thanks for this post, I appreciate it!

fester99

no problem i'm just gald it helped you out. thats why i posted i think that this phone is great and is one of the best phones i've ever had.

JOHNNYBRAVO03

ring tones

ok ive got songs set up as ring tones but when someone calls i dont get there certian ringtone,i only get the incomeing call ringtone???anyone now why??

fester99

did you select which people to have different ringers, and does that caller id come up or is the phone number not stored?

JOHNNYBRAVO03

the ring tone i made for incomeing calls works,,,,,ive selected people for different ringtones,n the number is stored in the sim and on the phone

JOHNNYBRAVO03

for instance my work just called n the number comes up but not the work name that i stored it under

fester99

in your phone book you have to have the area code for the contacts. I personally hate phones that do this but that is the way it is. a small price to pay for an otherwise awesome phone.

JOHNNYBRAVO03

let me try that thats the only thing i dont have