Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Lobster
    Guest
    Just finishing a 12-month contract on Orange, which I got on a cashback
    deal. I've notifeied Orange and got my PAC code off them as I wish to
    transfer the number to a new O2 contract. However, I'm concerned at the
    timing as I need to make my final cashback claim at 12 months and don't
    want to cock that up.

    Timing is as follows:
    Contract started: 10 Dec 2004
    Gave Orange notice of quitting, and received PAC code: 10 Nov 2005

    I know my PAC code expires after 30 days - what happens if I use it
    today (ie give it to O2)? Does that mean my 12-month contract expires on
    that day (early)? Surely not? Or will they not port the number to O2
    until 12 months is up?

    Also, obviously I want to get my new phone ASAP as I'm going to be
    without a contract after 10 Dec otherwise; but the large cashback
    payment due on month 12 is my primary concern!

    Thanks
    David



    See More: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashback deal




  2. #2
    Kalico
    Guest

    Re: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashback deal

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:16:21 GMT, Lobster
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just finishing a 12-month contract on Orange, which I got on a cashback
    >deal. I've notifeied Orange and got my PAC code off them as I wish to
    >transfer the number to a new O2 contract. However, I'm concerned at the
    >timing as I need to make my final cashback claim at 12 months and don't
    >want to cock that up.
    >
    >Timing is as follows:
    >Contract started: 10 Dec 2004
    >Gave Orange notice of quitting, and received PAC code: 10 Nov 2005
    >
    >I know my PAC code expires after 30 days - what happens if I use it
    >today (ie give it to O2)? Does that mean my 12-month contract expires on
    >that day (early)? Surely not? Or will they not port the number to O2
    >until 12 months is up?
    >
    >Also, obviously I want to get my new phone ASAP as I'm going to be
    >without a contract after 10 Dec otherwise; but the large cashback
    >payment due on month 12 is my primary concern!
    >
    >Thanks
    >David


    AFAIK, the second you PAC out of a contract, it terminates. So if you
    do it early then you will not have been connected for 12 months and
    are likely to miss out on the final cashback.

    Better would have been to not give Orange notice but just PAC out when
    it was convenient for you.

    I am in the same situation and resigned (unless someone comes up with
    a better idea) to staying connected best part of an extra month, then
    PACing out just before I get billed for what would be the 13th time.

    HTh
    Rob




  3. #3
    BlueGhost
    Guest

    Re: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashback deal

    Lobster wrote:
    > Just finishing a 12-month contract on Orange, which I got on a cashback
    > deal. I've notifeied Orange and got my PAC code off them as I wish to
    > transfer the number to a new O2 contract. However, I'm concerned at the
    > timing as I need to make my final cashback claim at 12 months and don't
    > want to cock that up.
    >
    > Timing is as follows:
    > Contract started: 10 Dec 2004
    > Gave Orange notice of quitting, and received PAC code: 10 Nov 2005
    >
    > I know my PAC code expires after 30 days - what happens if I use it
    > today (ie give it to O2)? Does that mean my 12-month contract expires on
    > that day (early)? Surely not? Or will they not port the number to O2
    > until 12 months is up?
    >
    > Also, obviously I want to get my new phone ASAP as I'm going to be
    > without a contract after 10 Dec otherwise; but the large cashback
    > payment due on month 12 is my primary concern!
    >
    > Thanks
    > David


    you will still be billed for the full 12 months even though you may
    receive no service for a few days of the last month so there should be
    no problem getting the cashback

    --
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Michael Pritchard
    Web :: http://www.blueghost.co.uk
    Reply-To :: replace '@austin.3.16' with '@blueyonder.co.uk'
    Ad :: Want your Nokia phone fully unlocked and reset, see
    :: http://www.blueghost.co.uk/unlock_guide/
    --------------------------------------------------------------------



  4. #4
    Lobster
    Guest

    Re: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashback deal

    Kalico wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:16:21 GMT, Lobster
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Just finishing a 12-month contract on Orange, which I got on a cashback
    >>deal. I've notifeied Orange and got my PAC code off them as I wish to
    >>transfer the number to a new O2 contract. However, I'm concerned at the
    >>timing as I need to make my final cashback claim at 12 months and don't
    >>want to cock that up.


    > AFAIK, the second you PAC out of a contract, it terminates. So if you
    > do it early then you will not have been connected for 12 months and
    > are likely to miss out on the final cashback.
    >
    > Better would have been to not give Orange notice but just PAC out when
    > it was convenient for you.
    >
    > I am in the same situation and resigned (unless someone comes up with
    > a better idea) to staying connected best part of an extra month, then
    > PACing out just before I get billed for what would be the 13th time.


    Thanks - how sure are you about this (given that someone else has just
    given directly conflicting advice!)? Hoping the other guy's right...!

    (TBH when giving notice I assumed I'd have to pay Orange for the full 12
    months; theoretically if the PAC was actioned on 11 months + 1 day, it
    would only be an 11-month (+ 1 day) contract, wouldn't it?)

    David



  5. #5
    BlueGhost
    Guest

    Re: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashback deal

    Lobster wrote:
    >
    > Thanks - how sure are you about this (given that someone else has just
    > given directly conflicting advice!)? Hoping the other guy's right...!
    >
    > (TBH when giving notice I assumed I'd have to pay Orange for the full 12
    > months; theoretically if the PAC was actioned on 11 months + 1 day, it
    > would only be an 11-month (+ 1 day) contract, wouldn't it?)
    >
    > David


    i can't guarantee my advice is correct although as you subscribe for a
    minimum of 12 months I would have thought you would have to pay, and
    thus be billed for 12 full months.


    --
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Michael Pritchard
    Web :: http://www.blueghost.co.uk
    Reply-To :: replace '@austin.3.16' with '@blueyonder.co.uk'
    Ad :: Want your Nokia phone fully unlocked and reset, see
    :: http://www.blueghost.co.uk/unlock_guide/
    --------------------------------------------------------------------



  6. #6
    Peter Parry
    Guest

    Re: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashback deal

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:58:50 GMT, BlueGhost <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >you will still be billed for the full 12 months even though you may
    >receive no service for a few days of the last month so there should be
    >no problem getting the cashback


    "No problems" and "cashback" are usually mutually exclusive. The
    cashback system only works if a high percentage of people don't
    manage to redeem them so many companies, particularly at the end of
    cashback periods will use any excuse to not pay. The Carphone
    Warehouse group (including Onestop phone shop and e2save) appear to
    attract more than normal opprobrium for their tactics to avoid paying
    cashbacks. See

    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-4384.html
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-12037.html



    --
    Peter Parry.
    http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/



  7. #7
    Kalico
    Guest

    Re: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashback deal

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 18:11:48 GMT, Lobster
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Kalico wrote:
    >> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:16:21 GMT, Lobster
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just finishing a 12-month contract on Orange, which I got on a cashback
    >>>deal. I've notifeied Orange and got my PAC code off them as I wish to
    >>>transfer the number to a new O2 contract. However, I'm concerned at the
    >>>timing as I need to make my final cashback claim at 12 months and don't
    >>>want to cock that up.

    >
    >> AFAIK, the second you PAC out of a contract, it terminates. So if you
    >> do it early then you will not have been connected for 12 months and
    >> are likely to miss out on the final cashback.
    >>
    >> Better would have been to not give Orange notice but just PAC out when
    >> it was convenient for you.
    >>
    >> I am in the same situation and resigned (unless someone comes up with
    >> a better idea) to staying connected best part of an extra month, then
    >> PACing out just before I get billed for what would be the 13th time.

    >
    >Thanks - how sure are you about this (given that someone else has just
    >given directly conflicting advice!)? Hoping the other guy's right...!
    >
    >(TBH when giving notice I assumed I'd have to pay Orange for the full 12
    >months; theoretically if the PAC was actioned on 11 months + 1 day, it
    >would only be an 11-month (+ 1 day) contract, wouldn't it?)
    >
    >David


    Well, I am pretty sure that the minute you PAC out of a contract then
    it terminates and if you had signed up to a minimum 12 months then the
    network could hold you to the 12 month minimum, if only to ask you for
    the money.

    I am going to try to ask the network to convert my contract to a PAYG
    at the end of the 12 months I signed up for. I should then be able to
    PAC out of it at my convenience when I have got my new contract and
    the cashback company (E2save in this case) cannot then argue that I
    did not remain connected for the full 12 months.

    Rob




  8. #8
    Marcus Fox
    Guest

    Re: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashback deal


    "Lobster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Fj%[email protected]
    > Just finishing a 12-month contract on Orange, which I got on a cashback
    > deal. I've notifeied Orange and got my PAC code off them as I wish to
    > transfer the number to a new O2 contract. However, I'm concerned at the
    > timing as I need to make my final cashback claim at 12 months and don't
    > want to cock that up.
    >
    > Timing is as follows:
    > Contract started: 10 Dec 2004
    > Gave Orange notice of quitting, and received PAC code: 10 Nov 2005
    >
    > I know my PAC code expires after 30 days - what happens if I use it
    > today (ie give it to O2)? Does that mean my 12-month contract expires on
    > that day (early)? Surely not? Or will they not port the number to O2
    > until 12 months is up?
    >
    > Also, obviously I want to get my new phone ASAP as I'm going to be
    > without a contract after 10 Dec otherwise; but the large cashback
    > payment due on month 12 is my primary concern!


    If you started your contract on 10th December, then you would receive your
    first bill right after as you are billed for line rental one month in
    arrears. Then your second monthly bill comes, dated 10th January, charging
    you for the calls you made between 11th December and 10 January.

    Fast forward now to 10th November. This is when you'll get your 12th monthly
    bill, charging you line rental in advance from 11th November to 10 December,
    plus your calls for the previous month. This is the bill you'd use to claim
    your cashback. Should be alright to port out any time after you receive the
    12th monthly bill, but remember, it takes a few days to port the number, so
    be careful you don't get an extra month's line rental.

    I sent in my 12th monthly bill for my cashback claim a few days ago and my
    porting of my number happens on Thursday.

    Marcus





  9. #9
    Lobster
    Guest

    Re: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashback deal

    Marcus Fox wrote:
    > "Lobster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:Fj%[email protected]
    >
    >>Just finishing a 12-month contract on Orange, which I got on a cashback
    >>deal. I've notifeied Orange and got my PAC code off them as I wish to
    >>transfer the number to a new O2 contract. However, I'm concerned at the
    >>timing as I need to make my final cashback claim at 12 months and don't
    >>want to cock that up.


    > If you started your contract on 10th December, then you would receive your
    > first bill right after as you are billed for line rental one month in
    > arrears. Then your second monthly bill comes, dated 10th January, charging
    > you for the calls you made between 11th December and 10 January.
    >
    > Fast forward now to 10th November. This is when you'll get your 12th monthly
    > bill, charging you line rental in advance from 11th November to 10 December,
    > plus your calls for the previous month. This is the bill you'd use to claim
    > your cashback. Should be alright to port out any time after you receive the
    > 12th monthly bill, but remember, it takes a few days to port the number, so
    > be careful you don't get an extra month's line rental.


    You know, that's absolutely right. I've just checked through my pile of
    bills plus the original cashback deal, which states I need to send in my
    final claim on 10 Dec, accompanied by my "most recent airtime invoice"
    - that will be the one dated 15 November which I've alreday received.
    It makes no mention of the fact that I'd given notice to quit at that
    point, and includes a bill for airtime up to 14 December, too.

    So I think I've been trying to overcomplicate things. So I now just
    need to pull my finger out and hope I get PAC'ed out by 10 December!

    Many thanks for the putting me straight.
    David




  10. #10
    Chris P Bacon
    Guest

    Re: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashback deal

    On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 00:15:16 +0000, Peter Parry <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:58:50 GMT, BlueGhost <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>you will still be billed for the full 12 months even though you may
    >>receive no service for a few days of the last month so there should be
    >>no problem getting the cashback

    >
    >"No problems" and "cashback" are usually mutually exclusive. The
    >cashback system only works if a high percentage of people don't
    >manage to redeem them so many companies, particularly at the end of
    >cashback periods will use any excuse to not pay. The Carphone
    >Warehouse group (including Onestop phone shop and e2save) appear to
    >attract more than normal opprobrium for their tactics to avoid paying
    >cashbacks. See
    >
    >http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-4384.html
    >http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-12037.html



    got deals with CPW and e2save and both are going thro very weell . no
    problems with cashback whatsoever. If you need to produce your 12th
    bill as long as it does not show you cancelled early it shoud be OK.
    just checked my e2save terms and it states that if you gave 30 days
    notice in month 11 the 12th bill may be your closing bill.


    Chris P Bacon



  11. #11
    Lobster
    Guest

    Re: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashback deal

    Chris P Bacon wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 00:15:16 +0000, Peter Parry <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:58:50 GMT, BlueGhost <[email protected]>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>you will still be billed for the full 12 months even though you may
    >>>receive no service for a few days of the last month so there should be
    >>>no problem getting the cashback

    >>
    >>"No problems" and "cashback" are usually mutually exclusive. The
    >>cashback system only works if a high percentage of people don't
    >>manage to redeem them so many companies, particularly at the end of
    >>cashback periods will use any excuse to not pay. The Carphone
    >>Warehouse group (including Onestop phone shop and e2save) appear to
    >>attract more than normal opprobrium for their tactics to avoid paying
    >>cashbacks. See
    >>
    >>http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-4384.html
    >>http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-12037.html


    > got deals with CPW and e2save and both are going thro very weell . no
    > problems with cashback whatsoever.


    I have to agree - I've been using such deals for years now, and by
    taking care to jump through all the right hoops I have had many hundreds
    of GBP back in cashback deals. Yes, there's risk in that you might not
    receive the dosh if the company goes bust or plays silly buggers, but
    providing you accept that - and regard the cashback as a 'nice-to-have'
    rather than a necessity - then for me, going for these deals is a
    no-brainer. I just make sure I keep all their paperwork safely and
    setup email reminders for when the cashbacks need to be claimed.

    At the moment I'm just completing a 12-month contract on 100 x-network
    mins, with a phone thrown in, for which I will have paid nothing at all
    other than the cost of the few texts I send. I'm now going for another
    deal, with yet another new phone (into which one of my kids will
    probably delightedly insert their PAYG sim card); this one will cost me
    even less as it has inclusive texts....!

    David





  12. #12
    Unlucky Alf
    Guest

    Re: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashback deal

    On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 17:06:15 GMT, Lobster
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >other than the cost of the few texts I send. I'm now going for another
    >deal, with yet another new phone (into which one of my kids will
    >probably delightedly insert their PAYG sim card); this one will cost me
    >even less as it has inclusive texts....!


    O2 200?






  13. #13
    Lobster
    Guest

    Re: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashback deal

    Unlucky Alf wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 17:06:15 GMT, Lobster
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>other than the cost of the few texts I send. I'm now going for another
    >>deal, with yet another new phone (into which one of my kids will
    >>probably delightedly insert their PAYG sim card); this one will cost me
    >>even less as it has inclusive texts....!

    >
    >
    > O2 200?


    Close: O2 250 (+ 50 texts)!



  14. #14
    Lobster
    Guest

    Cashbacks: thanks OSPS!! (was Re: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashbackdeal)

    Lobster wrote:
    > Marcus Fox wrote:
    >
    >> "Lobster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:Fj%[email protected]
    >>
    >>> Just finishing a 12-month contract on Orange, which I got on a
    >>> cashback deal. I've notifeied Orange and got my PAC code off
    >>> them as I wish to transfer the number to a new O2 contract.
    >>> However, I'm concerned at the timing as I need to make my final
    >>> cashback claim at 12 months and don't want to cock that up.

    >
    >
    >> If you started your contract on 10th December, then you would
    >> receive your first bill right after as you are billed for line
    >> rental one month in arrears. Then your second monthly bill comes,
    >> dated 10th January, charging you for the calls you made between
    >> 11th December and 10 January.
    >>
    >> Fast forward now to 10th November. This is when you'll get your
    >> 12th monthly bill, charging you line rental in advance from 11th
    >> November to 10 December, plus your calls for the previous month.
    >> This is the bill you'd use to claim your cashback. Should be
    >> alright to port out any time after you receive the 12th monthly
    >> bill, but remember, it takes a few days to port the number, so be
    >> careful you don't get an extra month's line rental.

    >
    >
    > You know, that's absolutely right. I've just checked through my pile
    > of bills plus the original cashback deal, which states I need to send
    > in my final claim on 10 Dec, accompanied by my "most recent airtime
    > invoice" - that will be the one dated 15 November which I've alreday
    > received. It makes no mention of the fact that I'd given notice to
    > quit at that point, and includes a bill for airtime up to 14
    > December, too.
    >
    > So I think I've been trying to overcomplicate things. So I now just
    > need to pull my finger out and hope I get PAC'ed out by 10 December!
    >

    Just thought I'd follow this up to say that it all worked perfectly -
    thanks Marcus: I sent my cashback bumf off to OneStopPhoneShop on 12
    Dec, and this morning received my cheque from them (so that's a totally
    free K500i with 1200 x-network minutes over the year). Not bad... as
    OSPS has had its share of critics over the past year or so I thought I'd
    post this to redress the balance a bit!

    David



  15. #15
    Marcus Fox
    Guest

    Re: Cashbacks: thanks OSPS!! (was Re: PACcing out at 12 months + my cashback deal)


    "Lobster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Lobster wrote:
    > > Marcus Fox wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Lobster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:Fj%[email protected]
    > >>
    > >>> Just finishing a 12-month contract on Orange, which I got on a
    > >>> cashback deal. I've notifeied Orange and got my PAC code off
    > >>> them as I wish to transfer the number to a new O2 contract.
    > >>> However, I'm concerned at the timing as I need to make my final
    > >>> cashback claim at 12 months and don't want to cock that up.

    > >
    > >
    > >> If you started your contract on 10th December, then you would
    > >> receive your first bill right after as you are billed for line
    > >> rental one month in arrears. Then your second monthly bill comes,
    > >> dated 10th January, charging you for the calls you made between
    > >> 11th December and 10 January.
    > >>
    > >> Fast forward now to 10th November. This is when you'll get your
    > >> 12th monthly bill, charging you line rental in advance from 11th
    > >> November to 10 December, plus your calls for the previous month.
    > >> This is the bill you'd use to claim your cashback. Should be
    > >> alright to port out any time after you receive the 12th monthly
    > >> bill, but remember, it takes a few days to port the number, so be
    > >> careful you don't get an extra month's line rental.

    > >
    > >
    > > You know, that's absolutely right. I've just checked through my pile
    > > of bills plus the original cashback deal, which states I need to send
    > > in my final claim on 10 Dec, accompanied by my "most recent airtime
    > > invoice" - that will be the one dated 15 November which I've alreday
    > > received. It makes no mention of the fact that I'd given notice to
    > > quit at that point, and includes a bill for airtime up to 14
    > > December, too.
    > >
    > > So I think I've been trying to overcomplicate things. So I now just
    > > need to pull my finger out and hope I get PAC'ed out by 10 December!
    > >

    > Just thought I'd follow this up to say that it all worked perfectly -
    > thanks Marcus: I sent my cashback bumf off to OneStopPhoneShop on 12
    > Dec, and this morning received my cheque from them (so that's a totally
    > free K500i with 1200 x-network minutes over the year). Not bad... as
    > OSPS has had its share of critics over the past year or so I thought I'd
    > post this to redress the balance a bit!


    Heh, e2save are going to get some flak on here shortly over their 7600 deal,
    just checked up on what's happening to my cashback, and it's now changed to
    45 days instead of 28 days for receipt. Only been 3 weeks since I sent mine
    off too.

    Marcus





  • Similar Threads




  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast