Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Dutch
    Guest
    "Sprint Nextel showed off a new iPhone look-alike from Samsung on
    Tuesday at the CTIA conference in Las Vegas that the operator says
    allows much faster data access then the Apple phone."

    "The Instinct, co-developed by Sprint and Samsung, looks similar to the
    iPhone, including a touch screen. Unlike the iPhone, however, it
    includes GPS (Global Positioning System) and runs on SprintĘs high-speed
    EV-DO (Evolution-Data Optimized) Revision A network. SprintĘs network
    offers an average data download rate as high as 1.4Mbps. By contrast,
    EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution), which the iPhone operates
    on via AT&TĘs network, usually offers less than 200k bps throughput."

    [more]
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1327...ne_sprint.html

    --
    Dutch



    See More: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike




  2. #2
    Jar-Jar Binks
    Guest

    Re: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike

    Sprint is the BOMB! They have the best phones and the best network. That is
    really fast data especially if you use the phone as a modem.

    Jar-Jar

    "Dutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Sprint Nextel showed off a new iPhone look-alike from Samsung on
    > Tuesday at the CTIA conference in Las Vegas that the operator says
    > allows much faster data access then the Apple phone."
    >
    > "The Instinct, co-developed by Sprint and Samsung, looks similar to the
    > iPhone, including a touch screen. Unlike the iPhone, however, it
    > includes GPS (Global Positioning System) and runs on SprintĘs high-speed
    > EV-DO (Evolution-Data Optimized) Revision A network. SprintĘs network
    > offers an average data download rate as high as 1.4Mbps. By contrast,
    > EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution), which the iPhone operates
    > on via AT&TĘs network, usually offers less than 200k bps throughput."
    >
    > [more]
    > http://www.macworld.com/article/1327...ne_sprint.html
    >
    > --
    > Dutch






  3. #3
    Larry
    Guest

    Re: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike

    "Jar-Jar Binks" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Sprint is the BOMB! They have the best phones and the best network.
    > That is really fast data especially if you use the phone as a modem.
    >
    >


    Patience, my son, patience!
    http://xohm.com/
    The biggest OPEN SOURCE cellphone company on the planet comes to the
    rescue....from far North in Finland....

    WiMax WILL happen, even in Sellphone-controlled America....






  4. #4
    SMS
    Guest

    Re: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike

    Dutch wrote:
    > "Sprint Nextel showed off a new iPhone look-alike from Samsung on
    > Tuesday at the CTIA conference in Las Vegas that the operator says
    > allows much faster data access then the Apple phone."
    >
    > "The Instinct, co-developed by Sprint and Samsung, looks similar to the
    > iPhone, including a touch screen. Unlike the iPhone, however, it
    > includes GPS (Global Positioning System) and runs on SprintĘs high-speed
    > EV-DO (Evolution-Data Optimized) Revision A network. SprintĘs network
    > offers an average data download rate as high as 1.4Mbps. By contrast,
    > EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution), which the iPhone operates
    > on via AT&TĘs network, usually offers less than 200k bps throughput."


    It appears as if Sprint forgot to include WiFi.

    It's very useful to have WiFi when traveling, and the data rates are
    higher. One reason so many iPhones have been unlocked is because a lot
    of users just want to use them on WiFi networks (partly because Edge is
    so slow, but also because they don't want to sign up for an expensive
    data plan).

    I hope Sprint survives, but at this juncture they have one of the worst
    networks (only T-Mobile is worse) and the worst selection of handsets.
    This is what's causing their incredibly high churn, not customer service
    problems.



  5. #5
    Jerome Zelinske
    Guest

    Re: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike

    I know it is not in all states, but there are more states than
    just WI where Sprint's network covers all of verizon's and then some.



  6. #6
    Todd Allcock
    Guest

    Re: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike

    At 01 Apr 2008 22:05:32 -0700 SMS wrote:

    > I hope Sprint survives, but at this juncture they have one of the worst
    > networks (only T-Mobile is worse) and the worst selection of handsets.
    > This is what's causing their incredibly high churn, not customer service
    > problems.


    I disagree. Their network hasn't become worse in the last few years, and
    their handset selection has always been lackluster. Why has that suddenly
    caused churn to increase? It's the botched integration of theNextel merger
    that's messed them up.






  7. #7
    Jar-Jar Binks
    Guest

    Re: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike

    Amen bro! WiMax will rule!

    "Larry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Jar-Jar Binks" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Sprint is the BOMB! They have the best phones and the best network.
    >> That is really fast data especially if you use the phone as a modem.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Patience, my son, patience!
    > http://xohm.com/
    > The biggest OPEN SOURCE cellphone company on the planet comes to the
    > rescue....from far North in Finland....
    >
    > WiMax WILL happen, even in Sellphone-controlled America....
    >
    >
    >






  8. #8
    Jar-Jar Binks
    Guest

    Re: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike

    You are incorrect again. Sprint actually has one of the best networks. Here
    in Southern California, it is as good or better than Verizon. Sprint has the
    world's worst customer service and is lacking in phone selection. Other than
    that, the network is superb and if you are in an area that doesn't have
    Sprint coverage, you will have roaming coverage. It is also a common fac
    that Sprint has less dropped calls than ATT. Also, Sprint rated the best
    data netowkr for speed and reliability. Do some googleing next time to get
    the facts.

    Jar-Jar



    "SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dutch wrote:
    >> "Sprint Nextel showed off a new iPhone look-alike from Samsung on
    >> Tuesday at the CTIA conference in Las Vegas that the operator says
    >> allows much faster data access then the Apple phone."
    >>
    >> "The Instinct, co-developed by Sprint and Samsung, looks similar to the
    >> iPhone, including a touch screen. Unlike the iPhone, however, it
    >> includes GPS (Global Positioning System) and runs on SprintĘs high-speed
    >> EV-DO (Evolution-Data Optimized) Revision A network. SprintĘs network
    >> offers an average data download rate as high as 1.4Mbps. By contrast,
    >> EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution), which the iPhone operates
    >> on via AT&TĘs network, usually offers less than 200k bps throughput."

    >
    > It appears as if Sprint forgot to include WiFi.
    >
    > It's very useful to have WiFi when traveling, and the data rates are
    > higher. One reason so many iPhones have been unlocked is because a lot of
    > users just want to use them on WiFi networks (partly because Edge is so
    > slow, but also because they don't want to sign up for an expensive data
    > plan).
    >
    > I hope Sprint survives, but at this juncture they have one of the worst
    > networks (only T-Mobile is worse) and the worst selection of handsets.
    > This is what's causing their incredibly high churn, not customer service
    > problems.






  9. #9
    Jar-Jar Binks
    Guest

    Re: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike

    Jerome is correct. In Southern Cal, Sprint kicks Verizon's butt.


    "Jerome Zelinske" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news[email protected]
    > I know it is not in all states, but there are more states than just
    > WI where Sprint's network covers all of verizon's and then some.






  10. #10
    Jar-Jar Binks
    Guest

    Re: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike

    It was the Nextel Merger that killed them and the outsourcing of customer
    support to clueless off-shore service centers. Customer service has been
    their achillies heel. Their well designed network is their asset. They have
    better connections and less dropped calls than ATT but their customer
    service has killed them!


    "Todd Allcock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > At 01 Apr 2008 22:05:32 -0700 SMS wrote:
    >
    >> I hope Sprint survives, but at this juncture they have one of the worst
    >> networks (only T-Mobile is worse) and the worst selection of handsets.
    >> This is what's causing their incredibly high churn, not customer service
    >> problems.

    >
    > I disagree. Their network hasn't become worse in the last few years, and
    > their handset selection has always been lackluster. Why has that suddenly
    > caused churn to increase? It's the botched integration of theNextel
    > merger
    > that's messed them up.
    >
    >
    >






  11. #11
    SMS
    Guest

    Re: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike

    Todd Allcock wrote:

    > I disagree. Their network hasn't become worse in the last few years, and
    > their handset selection has always been lackluster. Why has that suddenly
    > caused churn to increase?


    It's not that their network has become worse, it's that other networks
    have improved more, and consumers have become more aware of the
    differences between networks as a result of independent surveys of coverage.

    A few years ago, people were complaining more about Verizon's handset
    selection, and praising Sprint's selection.

    > It's the botched integration of theNextel merger
    > that's messed them up.


    Yes, a lot of their churn is Nextel accounts leaving as iDen is EOL.
    Sprint apparently thought that Nextel customers would all convert to
    Sprint plans, which isn't happening.

    In a survey of a few years ago, the number one cause of churn was
    handset problems, though in reality a lot of what a customer claims are
    handset problems (dropped calls, static) are more likely coverage
    problems. Second was cost, not that of a competitor, but just the cost
    of service in general, with those subscribers moving to prepaid. Third
    was coverage. Fourth was competitor's rates and plans, which accounted
    for only 9% of churn. Last was customer service.

    If Sprint would have an advertising campaign that centered around
    showing customers how to force their handsets to roam, and how much more
    coverage they receive as a result, that might help reduce the churn due
    to coverage issues.

    The "iPhone lookalike" is not going to help them much without WiFi.



  12. #12
    Todd Allcock
    Guest

    Re: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike

    At 02 Apr 2008 06:07:54 -0700 SMS wrote:

    > > I disagree. Their network hasn't become worse in the last few years,

    and
    > > their handset selection has always been lackluster. Why has that

    suddenly
    > > caused churn to increase?

    >
    > It's not that their network has become worse, it's that other networks
    > have improved more, and consumers have become more aware of
    > the differences between networks as a result of independent surveys
    > of coverage.


    Then explain T-Mo's success? They have a worse network than Sprint, a piss-
    poor handset selection, and they're not bleeding customers.

    > A few years ago, people were complaining more about Verizon's
    > handset selection, and praising Sprint's selection.


    I don't remember anyone "praising" Sprint's selection, except maybe to say
    it stunk less than Verizon's ;-)

    > > It's the botched integration of theNextel merger
    > > that's messed them up.

    >
    > Yes, a lot of their churn is Nextel accounts leaving as iDen is EOL.
    > Sprint apparently thought that Nextel customers would all convert
    > to Sprint plans, which isn't happening.



    True.


    > The "iPhone lookalike" is not going to help them much without WiFi.


    Most consumers (including myself) won't care if it has WiFi as long as they
    have a reasonably-priced unlimited 3G plan. You're really splitting speed
    hairs on a mobile device is 3G is so painfully slow that you need to go to
    WiFi- YOU have a skewed perspective because you like in an area with fairly
    ubiquitous WiFi and see no need for a cellular data plan. Everywhere isn't
    the Bay Area, my friend! In the majority of the country, you either need
    to park in the suburbs like a soccer mom stalker, or develop a taste for
    overpriced coffee to find any WiFi. Most of the time you'll be using
    cellular data. If you've got to buy an unlimited 3G plan anyway, WiFi is
    far less important. And at Sprint's $15 for unlimited on-phone data, it
    doesn't exactly break the bank like a $30 or $40 AT&T or Verizon PDA data
    plan.

    WiFi is important to _me_ as a T-Mo customer because I'm on a 2G network.
    If I had 3G, it's unlikely I'd waste the time with the three screen taps it
    takes to turn WiFi on or off- I certainly don't bother for e-mail
    retrieval, or even for a quick web lookup. Only if I'm planning to do some
    surfing will I bother with WiFi.






  13. #13
    SMS
    Guest

    Re: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike

    Todd Allcock wrote:
    > At 02 Apr 2008 06:07:54 -0700 SMS wrote:
    >
    >>> I disagree. Their network hasn't become worse in the last few years,

    > and
    >>> their handset selection has always been lackluster. Why has that

    > suddenly
    >>> caused churn to increase?

    >> It's not that their network has become worse, it's that other networks
    >> have improved more, and consumers have become more aware of
    >> the differences between networks as a result of independent surveys
    >> of coverage.

    >
    > Then explain T-Mo's success? They have a worse network than Sprint, a piss-
    > poor handset selection, and they're not bleeding customers.


    T-Mobile has never tried to market themselves as a carrier for those
    that are concerned about coverage.

    They offer a lot more peak minutes/$, they have a very low cost texting
    plan (400 texts for $5), and they market heavily to young people with
    some unique handsets. They're not a full service wireless provider
    either, eschewing the cost of building a 3G network because they didn't
    believe they could compete in that market.

    Also, T-Mobile has historically low profit margins in the U.S., despite
    having a high ARPU.

    > Most consumers (including myself) won't care if it has WiFi as long as they
    > have a reasonably-priced unlimited 3G plan.


    I think you're wrong about most customers. The problem with Sprint 3G is
    that you can't roam onto Verizon 3G. You can't use your device as a web
    access device when you're in a place with WiFi but no 3G coverage,
    including nearly everywhere outside the U.S.. Look at why the iPhone is
    being unlocked and sold in countries where it has no official carrier.
    It's because it's a web access device, as well as a phone and music player.

    > WiFi- YOU have a skewed perspective because you like in an area with fairly
    > ubiquitous WiFi and see no need for a cellular data plan.


    Actually I'd love a cellular data plan. While I know where to go to get
    WiFi, it's not really ubiquitous in the sense that every place you visit
    has it, and lately it seems that more individuals are being smart enough
    to secure their personal networks.

    Everywhere isn't
    > the Bay Area, my friend! In the majority of the country, you either need
    > to park in the suburbs like a soccer mom stalker, or develop a taste for
    > overpriced coffee to find any WiFi. Most of the time you'll be using
    > cellular data.


    Yes, that's why you need to sign up with a cellular data provider that
    has more coverage than Sprint.

    Sprint is a non-player to me. They don't have coverage where I live in
    Northern California, and in all the independent surveys show that their
    California coverage, north and south, is much worse than other carriers,
    which has also been the experience of every Sprint customer in
    California that I know personally. Of course these customers didn't know
    enough to force their handsets to roam onto Verizon, assuming their
    handsets had the capability.



  14. #14
    Jerome Zelinske
    Guest

    Re: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike

    My SprintPCS PPC6700 works just fine on wifi, and I don't even
    have it activated as a phone at all. So not being in a SprintPCS 3g area
    has nothing to do with wifi access. I do not know if verizon customers
    can roam on SprintPCS' 3g network here where the verizon 3g network
    isn't. The phone I am currently using does not have roaming only, but
    even if I was to switch to the 6700, which has a roaming only setting,
    there is not a way to force it to a specific carrier. Here, it might
    just as likely go to uscellular.



  15. #15
    Todd Allcock
    Guest

    Re: Sprint shows off iPhone lookalike

    At 02 Apr 2008 09:26:16 -0700 SMS wrote:

    > T-Mobile has never tried to market themselves as a carrier for those
    > that are concerned about coverage.


    Because they don't have te coverage to back up such a claim.

    It's not like they advertise lack of coverage either! Sprint never
    pushed the coverage card in their ads either- they pushed call quality
    ("pin drop.")

    > They offer a lot more peak minutes/$, they have a very low cost
    > texting plan (400 texts for $5), and they market heavily to young
    > people with some unique handsets. They're not a full service wireless
    > provider either, eschewing the cost of building a 3G network because
    > they didn't believe they could compete in that market.


    Actually it was Because they didn't have the bandwidth to compete without
    destroying call capacity. They'll be switching on 3G later this year,
    whenever the current government users of 1700MHz finally vacate.

    > Also, T-Mobile has historically low profit margins in the U.S., despite
    > having a high ARPU.



    > I think you're wrong about most customers. The problem with Sprint 3G
    > is that you can't roam onto Verizon 3G. You can't use your device as a
    > web access device when you're in a place with WiFi but no 3G coverage,
    > including nearly everywhere outside the U.S.


    3G, even Sprint's, is far more ubiquitous than WiFi. And the phone will
    fall back on slower cellular data if outside 3G, so it's not useless.

    You're correct that international travelers would be less interested, but
    those folks that travel that often quite possibly aren't interested in a
    phone service that only works domestically anyhow.


    > Look at why the iPhone is being unlocked and sold in countries where
    > it has no official carrier. It's because it's a web access device, as well
    > as a phone and music player.



    No, it's because it's an iPhone. There are plenty of good WiFi/3G phones
    available, but only one "iPhone."


    > Actually I'd love a cellular data plan. While I know where to go to get
    > WiFi, it's not really ubiquitous in the sense that every place you visit
    > has it, and lately it seems that more individuals are being smart enough
    > to secure their personal networks.


    True enough. Cell data for "dumbphones" is certainly cheap enough- $5-15
    dependig on carrier.

    > Everywhere isn't
    > > the Bay Area, my friend! In the majority of the country, you either

    need
    > > to park in the suburbs like a soccer mom stalker, or develop a taste for
    > > overpriced coffee to find any WiFi. Most of the time you'll be using
    > > cellular data.

    >
    > Yes, that's why you need to sign up with a cellular data provider that
    > has more coverage than Sprint.


    Sprint has decent coverage, and a decent amount of 3G.

    > Sprint is a non-player to me. They don't have coverage where I live
    > in Northern California, and in all the independent surveys show that
    > their California coverage, north and south, is much worse than other
    > carriers, which has also been the experience of every Sprint customer
    > in California that I know personally. Of course these customers didn't
    > know enough to force their handsets to roam onto Verizon, assuming
    > their handsets had the capability.


    But you know better WRT the forced roaming, and know of the SERO plans, so
    why is Sprint a "non-player" for you? For me it's the handset investment-
    SERO would cost me roughly what I'm paying T-Mo now, but I would have to
    ante up nearly $500 for handsets roughly equivalent to my current units.
    In return I'd get faster data but fewer minutes.





  • Similar Threads




  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast