Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    K
    Guest
    I know I could probably find this all out by googling, but I suspect
    I'll get faster and more accurate answers here, so I hope nobody
    minds me asking.

    My partner is about to leave for the US. He has a Motorola V545, with
    an Orange payg sim. Will it pick up one of the US networks?

    (If not, he could take a Nokia 7210, but I suspect that's less likely
    to work.)

    If I need to contact him while he's there, what's the best way to do
    it? I have an Orange contract. Will we both be charged if I call him
    there? Would it be cheaper to call from the landline (using something
    like 1899.com) or from my mobile?

    If I send him a text-message, will it come out of the monthly
    allowance on my contract? If not, how much is it likely to cost? Will
    it cost him to receive it?

    Sorry for so many questions - this is an unexpected trip (death in
    the family) so everything's a bit of a rush atm.

    --
    KVL



    See More: Calling UK mobile in US




  2. #2
    Dave C
    Guest

    Re: Calling UK mobile in US

    K wrote:
    > I know I could probably find this all out by googling, but I suspect
    > I'll get faster and more accurate answers here, so I hope nobody
    > minds me asking.
    >
    > My partner is about to leave for the US. He has a Motorola V545, with
    > an Orange payg sim. Will it pick up one of the US networks?


    The V545 will work in the US

    > If I need to contact him while he's there, what's the best way to do
    > it? I have an Orange contract. Will we both be charged if I call him
    > there? Would it be cheaper to call from the landline (using something
    > like 1899.com) or from my mobile?


    Calls to his phone will come out of your inclusive minutes. However,
    your partner will have to pay for the incoming call.

    > If I send him a text-message, will it come out of the monthly
    > allowance on my contract? If not, how much is it likely to cost? Will
    > it cost him to receive it?


    Any text will come out of your allowance AFAIK they are still free to
    receive in the US

    Have a look at

    http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Sat...=1123171272053


    --
    Dave C



  3. #3
    K
    Guest

    Re: Calling UK mobile in US

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > The V545 will work in the US
    >
    > Calls to his phone will come out of your inclusive minutes. However,
    > your partner will have to pay for the incoming call.
    >
    > Any text will come out of your allowance AFAIK they are still free to
    > receive in the US
    >
    > Have a look at


    Thank you - that's all very helpful :-)

    --
    KVL



  4. #4
    Andy Pandy
    Guest

    Re: Calling UK mobile in US


    "Dave C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > If I need to contact him while he's there, what's the best way to do
    > > it? I have an Orange contract. Will we both be charged if I call him
    > > there? Would it be cheaper to call from the landline (using something
    > > like 1899.com) or from my mobile?

    >
    > Calls to his phone will come out of your inclusive minutes. However,
    > your partner will have to pay for the incoming call.


    And that's likely to be VERY expensive. Suggest you get the landline number of
    wherever he is staying and call him on that (1p/min via telediscount etc) unless you
    really need him urgently.

    --
    Andy





  5. #5
    Sean
    Guest

    Re: Calling UK mobile in US

    K wrote:

    A SIM on Virgin Mobile UK was cheapest last time i checked for PAYG abroad.

    It's 80p a min to answer a call in US if you call,and standard rate for
    calling the virgin mobile in the UK.

    Sending texts costs 35p from US back to UK, and free to receive in US



  6. #6
    Andy Pandy
    Guest

    Re: Calling UK mobile in US


    "Sean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > K wrote:
    >
    > A SIM on Virgin Mobile UK was cheapest last time i checked for PAYG abroad.


    "Abroad" or the US? Tesco have dropped their prices recently and Vodafone Passport
    will slaughter Virgin in the countries where it applies (not the US).

    But you may be right about the US in particular.

    --
    Andy





  7. #7
    Soruk
    Guest

    Re: Calling UK mobile in US

    On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:44:50 +0100, Sean <[email protected]hoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >K wrote:
    >
    >A SIM on Virgin Mobile UK was cheapest last time i checked for PAYG abroad.
    >
    >It's 80p a min to answer a call in US if you call,and standard rate for
    >calling the virgin mobile in the UK.
    >
    >Sending texts costs 35p from US back to UK, and free to receive in US


    And, if paying by Direct Debit, Virgin charge less in some places, and
    texts are 25p/min - and no hassle about trying to top up while out there.

    --
    -- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
    Eridani Star System

    MailStripper - http://www.MailStripper.eu/ - SMTP spam filter
    Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.MailMeAnywhere.com/ - Mobile email



  8. #8
    K
    Guest

    Re: Calling UK mobile in US

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]lid says...
    > > Calls to his phone will come out of your inclusive minutes. However,
    > > your partner will have to pay for the incoming call.

    >
    > And that's likely to be VERY expensive. Suggest you get the landline
    > number of
    > wherever he is staying and call him on that (1p/min via telediscount
    > etc) unless you
    > really need him urgently.


    70 pence a minute, according to the Orange website.

    Not cheap - but calls to the landline are quite likely to be answered
    by someone who speaks no English (or any of the other languages I
    speak), so I'll text him unless I really need to talk to him.

    --
    KVL



  9. #9
    DWan
    Guest

    Re: Calling UK mobile in US

    Dave C wrote:
    > K wrote:
    > > I know I could probably find this all out by googling, but I suspect
    > > I'll get faster and more accurate answers here, so I hope nobody
    > > minds me asking.
    > >
    > > My partner is about to leave for the US. He has a Motorola V545, with
    > > an Orange payg sim. Will it pick up one of the US networks?

    >
    > The V545 will work in the US
    >
    > > If I need to contact him while he's there, what's the best way to do
    > > it? I have an Orange contract. Will we both be charged if I call him
    > > there? Would it be cheaper to call from the landline (using something
    > > like 1899.com) or from my mobile?

    >
    > Calls to his phone will come out of your inclusive minutes. However,
    > your partner will have to pay for the incoming call.
    >
    > > If I send him a text-message, will it come out of the monthly
    > > allowance on my contract? If not, how much is it likely to cost? Will
    > > it cost him to receive it?

    >
    > Any text will come out of your allowance AFAIK they are still free to
    > receive in the US
    >
    > Have a look at
    >
    > http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Sat...=1123171272053
    >
    >
    > --
    > Dave C


    How would it work if the person in the US bought a PAYG sim whilst they
    were over there? Could it work out cheaper to do that way (assuming
    they have PAYG in the states)




  10. #10
    Evan
    Guest

    Re: Calling UK mobile in US

    May I suggest you call your network to let them know a phone is heading
    to the US.

    My wife a few years ago and my boss very recently BOTH ran into
    problems that were eventually traced to a clerical error that
    prohibited them from using their phones while away.


    K wrote:
    > My partner is about to leave for the US. He has a Motorola V545, with
    > an Orange payg sim. Will it pick up one of the US networks?





  11. #11
    K
    Guest

    Re: Calling UK mobile in US

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > How would it work if the person in the US bought a PAYG sim whilst they
    > were over there? Could it work out cheaper to do that way (assuming
    > they have PAYG in the states)


    It might, I would think. But the phone is locked to Orange, and even
    if it's possible to get a US sim that will work in it, I don't expect
    he'll have much time, with family arriving from various locations and
    funeral arrangements. I don't foresee us needing any calls longer
    than a minute or two anyway, and if we do, we can always set a pre-
    arranged time for me to use SkypeOut and him to stand by the landline
    phone waiting for it to ring!

    Thanks to all for the help.

    --
    KVL



  12. #12
    K
    Guest

    Re: Calling UK mobile in US

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > May I suggest you call your network to let them know a phone is heading
    > to the US.


    That sounds like a good idea; we'll do that. Thanks.

    --
    KVL



  13. #13
    zacnici
    Guest

    Re: Calling UK mobile in US

    You don't say how long he is going for but my advice is to buy a local
    SIM wherever possible. If you look on the US Ebay site you will usually
    find T Mobile SIMS for sale usual prices are about $10 with $30 or 150
    minutes inclusive talk time, but note that that also include incoming
    calls. But beware and ask the seller as some SIMs are near their expiry
    date.

    The advantages of this are that:
    - You will have a number in advance.
    - In the US a mobile/cell number is the same as a landline so
    individuals and companies will call back without a problem, they will
    be very unwilling to ring a roaming UK number.
    - If you ring a US number from the UK you can do so for about 2p a
    minute using the likes of Onetel so unless you are using inclusive
    minutes it will work out cheaper all round.

    If you are concerned about missing calls to the UK mobile number simply
    change the voicemail announcement to give the temporary US number or if
    you are a frequent hopper across the pond take out a number from
    www.yac.com and give that as a business number.

    Regards




  14. #14
    Sean
    Guest

    Re: Calling UK mobile in US

    Andy Pandy wrote:

    > "Abroad" or the US? Tesco have dropped their prices recently and Vodafone Passport
    > will slaughter Virgin in the countries where it applies (not the US).
    >
    > But you may be right about the US in particular.
    >
    > --
    > Andy


    Well, anywhere other than UK. As you say vodafone have came in, which
    can really help.

    Just hearing on radio now that prices should be coming down 'soon'



  • Similar Threads